ND vs MIAMI breakdown

NonCents

Recruit
OK so if you want honest, here it is:

DC Diaz (MIAMI) Vs OC Long (ND)

Diaz will attack with stunts, LBs, CBs and Safety blitzes. Very aggressive caller, which is why they give up the occasional big play. Long will have to come up with a plan that attacks the pressures that Diaz will bring. If ND's offense can keep Miami off balanced, it could bode well for ND. but that's easier said than done.

ND offensive tackles vs MIAMI Defensive ends

ND has to keep the ends from getting pressure on the QB, which they are good at. Miami has been good at times against the run, but they have been inconsistent. This is a key matchup for both sides. If ND wins this matchup it will be very hard for MIAMI to contain ND's offense

ND offensive guards vs MIAMI defensive tackles

ND's guard Nelson will win against whoever he's up against. He's that good. he's the "given" along the line. On the other side, ND needs to be able to handle McIntosh, which would help Wimbush in feeling comfortable stepping into the pocket. He could have a big game if this happens.

ND receivers against MIAMI CB's

ND will have a clear size advantage at WR. They need to be aggressive in their routes. ND HAS to hit a few deep passes in this game. If they don't, their pass game will be inefficient. Jump balls will not do the job consistently. the WR's also have to block well, as Miami CBS like to come up HARD on the edge. Good blocking will be needed if they plan on using the screen game at all.

MIAMI offensive guards vs ND defensive tackles
the biggest key to success is to slow down Miami's run game to make them one dimensional, and that starts with the DT's. Darling is experienced and tough, but hes not overly athletic. ND needs to attack there. The concern against Donaldson is holding up against the run. The guy is huge.

ND safeties against MIAMI TE's and WR

Hernon and BArrios are chain movers but they can also make big plays. The safeties for ND need to have a good tacking game to limit that.

ND DE's vs MIAMI offensive tackles

the best way to disrupt MIami when passing, is to get pressure with the front 4. Miami has good tackles, but neither have the athletic ability to handle Hayes (Daelin) if he's on his game.

ND CBs against MIAMI WR's

Richards, Langham, and Thomas are all averaging 20+ yards per catch. I expect Miami to attack ND down the field early and often. They'll also try to get the ball out quickly to their playmakers in space. If Miami can rip off big plays, ND will have a hard time keeping the points down.

END RESULT:

Im hoping for an ND win.

I see ND as having a little bit more offensively than Miami (from a consistency standpoint) that will allow ND to pull out a single digit point spread win in the end.

OF NOTE: I could also see a blowout either way depending on how the cards fall for either team.

Advertisement
Miami Advantage:

Everywhere except whoever Nelson is blocking and our OL Run Blocking (not that I think you guys are a good run D, this is more an indictment on our G's and Tackles not sealing well enough).

I think we can make a big play on KR or PR. I think the bubble screen will be open all day when you guys have your CBs backed up which you seem to do often. Wimbush will not have a good game, but will he turn the ball over? He's been solid at keeping turnovers down, but if we can make plays after we force bad passes, we will have a major advantage. Most important thing is how will Malik Rosier play. If He plays like he did vs Syracuse (but our WRs dont drop everything) then we will win. If he plays like crap or turns the ball over a lot, its going to be a close one.

Advertisement
I took the "quote" out of this but added my counter-points.

Diaz will attack with stunts, LBs, CBs and Safety blitzes. Very aggressive caller, which is why they give up the occasional big play. Long will have to come up with a plan that attacks the pressures that Diaz will bring. If ND's offense can keep Miami off balanced, it could bode well for ND. but that's easier said than done.

[My take:] ND will NOT be able to keep Miami's pressure off their QB - the thing the Domers need to do is win on "enough" plays. Big if.

ND has to keep the ends from getting pressure on the QB, which they are good at. Miami has been good at times against the run, but they have been inconsistent. This is a key matchup for both sides. If ND wins this matchup it will be very hard for MIAMI to contain ND's offense

[My take:] Good analysis. Miami blitzes...a lot. If ND shuts down Miami's pass rush (they won't) they'll win.

ND's guard Nelson will win against whoever he's up against. He's that good. he's the "given" along the line. On the other side, ND needs to be able to handle McIntosh, which would help Wimbush in feeling comfortable stepping into the pocket. He could have a big game if this happens.

[My take:] Nelson is ELITE but Miami will do a lot to make him less effective and/or marginalize his effectiveness (i.e. bringing 4 guys over the left-side C-G-T to see if/how they handle it). Even if Nelson is effective I don't see Wimbush being comfortable. Miami has knocked down the opposing QB 24-30 times in EACH of the last 3 games. They WILL get to Wimbush, the question is how much and will it be enough?

ND will have a clear size advantage at WR. They need to be aggressive in their routes. ND HAS to hit a few deep passes in this game. If they don't, their pass game will be inefficient. Jump balls will not do the job consistently. the WR's also have to block well, as Miami CBS like to come up HARD on the edge. Good blocking will be needed if they plan on using the screen game at all.

[My take:] Despite their success, Miami doesn't have the best DBs. But the way the DL has played they haven't needed to be the best. Completing deep passes against Miami (DL pass-rush + DBs) is tough. And Wimbush is a run-first QB. I don't see this being an issue.

the biggest key to success is to slow down Miami's run game to make them one dimensional, and that starts with the DT's. Darling is experienced and tough, but hes not overly athletic. ND needs to attack there. The concern against Donaldson is holding up against the run. The guy is huge.

[My take:] Donaldson may be the hidden key in all this. He is SOO good. If he plays well Canes should score enough to win. If ND can keep him off his A-game Miami might struggle.

Hernon and BArrios are chain movers but they can also make big plays. The safeties for ND need to have a good tacking game to limit that.

[My take:] Hernon & Barrios? Hello?!? Richards? Thomas. Cager...take your pick. Miami's receiving corps (WRs + TEs) should dominate if the OL can give Rosier even decent time in the pocket.

the best way to disrupt MIami when passing, is to get pressure with the front 4. Miami has good tackles, but neither have the athletic ability to handle Hayes (Daelin) if he's on his game.

[My take:] No. The best way to disrupt the passing game is pressure up the middle. But this may be an area where neither team has a clear advantage.

Richards, Langham, and Thomas are all averaging 20+ yards per catch. I expect Miami to attack ND down the field early and often. They'll also try to get the ball out quickly to their playmakers in space. If Miami can rip off big plays, ND will have a hard time keeping the points down.

[My take:] Yep.

END RESULT:

I'm hoping for an ND win.

I see ND as having a little bit more offensively than Miami (from a consistency standpoint) that will allow ND to pull out a single digit point spread win in the end.

[My take:] Good luck w/ that. It'll either be close or a Miami blowout.

OF NOTE: I could also see a blowout either way depending on how the cards fall for either team.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
I took the "quote" out of this but added my counter-points.

[My take:] ND will NOT be able to keep Miami's pressure off their QB - the thing the Domers need to do is win on "enough" plays. Big if.

[My take:] Good analysis. Miami blitzes...a lot. If ND shuts down Miami's pass rush (they won't) they'll win.

[My take:] Nelson is ELITE but Miami will do a lot to make him less effective and/or marginalize his effectiveness (i.e. bringing 4 guys over the left-side C-G-T to see if/how they handle it). Even if Nelson is effective I don't see Wimbush being comfortable. Miami has knocked down the opposing QB 24-30 times in EACH of the last 3 games. They WILL get to Wimbush, the question is how much and will it be enough?

[My take:] Despite their success, Miami doesn't have the best DBs. But the way the DL has played they haven't needed to be the best. Completing deep passes against Miami (DL pass-rush + DBs) is tough. And Wimbush is a run-first QB. I don't see this being an issue.

[My take:] Donaldson may be the hidden key in all this. He is SOO good. If he plays well Canes should score enough to win. If ND can keep him off his A-game Miami might struggle.

[My take:] Hernon & Barrios? Hello?!? Richards? Thomas. Cager...take your pick. Miami's receiving corps (WRs + TEs) should dominate if the OL can give Rosier even decent time in the pocket.

[My take:] No. The best way to disrupt the passing game is pressure up the middle. But this may be an area where neither team has a clear advantage.

[My take:] Yep.

END RESULT:

I'm hoping for an ND win.

[My take:] Good luck w/ that. It'll either be close or a Miami blowout.

Go Canes!

Great analysis, SoCal. Agree with all of this and had considered a similar response but littered with lowdown, dirty insults. NonCents has very obviously got his I-love-little-boys glasses on.

If Miami stops the run, look out. Those windows are tight in the secondary and it would take a herculean effort to win that battle without some complete coverage busts

END RESULT:

Im hoping for an ND win.

I hope you’re attending the game come mierda. Look forward to your posts when you see our D in action.

Advertisement
OP left out the single most important factor for each team:

Home crowd for UM and the officiating for the domers.

Advertisement
So you think ND wins a tight one, but also see a blow out either way. Way to go out on a limb. Thanks for the analysis. Now go **** yourself.

Advertisement
Back