NCAA To Consider a CFB Salary Cap

No, its because California/Florida just passed a law that will allow their respective universities to earn money from their likeness in the coming future.
Correct except the law hasn’t gone into effect. If you read the statement from the NCAA person it is in the past tense, as in this is already happening. So you maybe correct that the new laws are finally pushing the issue to the forefront, but clearly there is some historical motivation as well.
the SEC schools are going to destroy the economy of this sport. Any national sport needs interest from all over the country to keep ratings. Or it’s just a regional sport.

Advertisement
When it comes down to college football COACHES. It would give the chance to other teams. Just like NFL players. So that means we will see alabamee play for the national championship for the next 5 years or until satan decides to retire.

When it comes down to college football COACHES. It would give the chance to other teams. Just like NFL players. So that means we will see alabamee play for the national championship for the next 5 years or until satan decides to retire.

Theyll find ways around it unfortunately. Boosters will still hand out cash otherways

The NCAA is, amazingly, correct about this. But why now to care? Is it because someone in the organization finally realized that having one team from the southeast play another team from the southeast almost every year in the championship isn’t good for a national sport? If so, you have to do a lot more than limit payments to players. Though its a good place to start (and push those payments right back under the table).
Frankly, I think a salary cap on head coaches would be more impactful But that will never happen because coaches won’t allow it. Just limit what the kids can receive, right?
Are you an attorney?

Advertisement
Wouldn’t matter if Saban only got 100 grand as long as Bama is paying players 10 times more than most and 5 times more than some..

Advertisement
This sHT ain’t coming under control until the IRS gets involved.

They get involved and start at the known entities and watch how fast this sHT stops.Until then spare me the BS cause the people involved don’t have to say sHT to the NCAA cause they have no subpoena power and without evidence they can’t do sHT...

It's one of the few things that might work. Put a limit on the number of total staff and limit total staff expenditures to say $7MM or $10MM.

Advertisement
As painful as it may be at times, I believe in capitalism and the free market system.
Appreciate the sentiment, and my default is similarly to always go for the free market solution.

But college football isn't a free market system, and hasn't been since like forever. Nor is any sports league from the pros down to picking sides in elementary school for dodgeball.

Any rule without a sufficient enforcement mechanism is meaningless. There's plenty of rules in place that prevent teams from paying recruits and players. Hows that working out?

It depends on how orange and green your school colors are, your proximity to being located in Coral Gables, and if your team name is a reference to a major, seasonal meteorological phenomena.

In that case, the rules are extremely effective.

Appreciate the sentiment, and my default is similarly to always go for the free market solution.

But college football isn't a free market system, and hasn't been since like forever. Nor is any sports league from the pros down to picking sides in elementary school for dodgeball.

The best argument can be made that CFB (on the field) was a free market system entirely up until scholarship restrictions. It's certainly not in terms of resources -- it's an oligopoly in every sense.

Advertisement
IMO, the real "problem" with college football is that cheating is totally worth any punishment. Every serious fanbase would take a Natty season, even if it meant it being taken away in a few years. If the NCAA came down on Bama and revoked every single win from Saban's name, it would have still been worth it to the fans.

IMO, the real "problem" with college football is that cheating is totally worth any punishment. Every serious fanbase would take a Natty season, even if it meant it being taken away in a few years. If the NCAA came down on Bama and revoked every single win from Saban's name, it would have still been worth it to the fans.
Perfectly stated I. E. 2019 LSU LOL

Free market doesn't exist in this country when it comes to pro and college athletics.
Totally opposite overseas with sports like soccer. The teams with the big stadiums and support will spend more, win more and stay in the first division whereas smaller teams play in the lower division. As a UM fan, the last thing we need is free market...trust on this, it wouldn't pretty for us.

Advertisement
Back