Off-Topic NCAA hit Air Force pretty hard

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's crazy when you think about it. Rarely does a service academy get anyone above 3*, and most of their croots are lower than that.
Also, a significant number of football players transfer prior to their formal military service committments.

The Prep School pipeline is also complete garbage and a perversion of it's original intent.

Also, a significant number of football players transfer prior to their formal military service committments.

The Prep School pipeline is also complete garbage and a perversion of it's original intent.
Regarding the Prep School, yes and no. In fairness, it's difficult to get a Redshirt year at the academics. Prep School, as you probably know, can kind of be like that year. Hopefully it's also getting the preppies ready for cadet life like it's intended. I know some of Air Forces current coaches. Real good dudes IMO.
As far as transferring out prior to their commitment, that option is available to all cadets as long as it's done no later than the end of their sophomore year unless that's changed???

Regarding the Prep School, yes and no. In fairness, it's difficult to get a Redshirt year at the academics. Prep School, as you probably know, can kind of be like that year. Hopefully it's also getting the preppies ready for cadet life like it's intended. I know some of Air Forces current coaches. Real good dudes IMO.
As far as transferring out prior to their commitment, that option is available to all cadets as long as it's done no later than the end of their sophomore year unless that's changed???
You make excellent points...a few clarifications...

Prep school original intent was to provide Enlisted members and high school candidates a "preparatory path year" to Service Academies full 4-year programs and then on as Commissioned Officers. What we have now is a feeder pipeline of athletes (mostly football) that are filling those slots that would go otherwise.

I wouldnt have a problem except....athletes have a significantly higher drop out rate than non-D1 program athletes (everyone at Academies has to be somewhat athletic)....

and yes its prior to going into 3rd year you can drop no harm, no foul.

Also, study after study indicates D1 program types at Service Academies lag behind their peers for promotion rates once on active duty...

Dont get me wrong, some of closest friends are D1 Academy guys and gals, but from a resourcing perspective I believe they should be in D2 or D3 ball.

Advertisement
Anyone else remember former Air Force great and Cowboys Super Bowl champion Chad Hennings?

Advertisement
Back