NCAA first win ladies moving on

What I'm saying is that a lot of people buy season tickets just for the big games(That's not even including the FSU alumni that buy season tickets just for that one game). You're better off price wise if the only games you want to see is the Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia matchups. Even if you skip every single other game, you are still coming out on top, compared to attempting to buy tickets on the secondary market. Even when Miami was among the nation's best in 2012, with an extremely exciting style of play, there were late season ACC games that looked half full. Why? Because people aren't going to come out to see Miami, even arguably the best Miami team in program history play Georgia Tech. That's my point.

Again, what does this program gain by saying "We sold out of season ticket packages" and they didn't? They would be DISCOURAGING potential late adopters. When you account for the midsize capacity of the Watsco Center, the amount of student tickets, and other factors(The concept that **** near no one buys ONE season ticket, they buy at least a pair), it's not that tough to believe that Miami could sell that many season tickets, especially playing in a conference where you are assured of at least 2 elite teams coming down every season. The problem is that people will only show up if it's an event, and Miami playing Clemson in basketball is never going to be an event. Look at the Heat during the Big 3 era as an example. I went to plenty of Heat games at the time, they were technically sell outs, but if they were playing a garbage team, it could be mighty empty in spots.
Canedude, I hear what you're saying. For me, it still comes down to an arena that is half full is not really a sellout. Whether people have paid or not. It's hard to accept seeing a half full Watsco game after game, good team or bad.

As to why the AD might fudge the numbers, I don't know. But ... you see it clearly also at Hard Rock. Crowd counts are routinely almost doubled. Why would they do that? People and viewers have eyes. When other major college programs claim "sellouts," the numbers in the stands appear to be real turnstile counts. We're the only school who has this large disparity?

Advertisement
And the same people that can't make it to this, wonder why this athletic department is always looking at the bottom line. No one is expecting UConn or Tennessee crowds, but you'd think an NCAA Tournament regional would draw more than a piddling 800-1000 people. Especially when you consider that the tickets were free for students. You'd think 5% of the undergrad student body could have made it out. Then again, I'm not shocked, our student attendance has always been **** poor.
They boxscore says 3,003 attended. I think you’re number is a little low, but that number is definitely inflated. It looked like about 1500 to me.

They are expecting a quintessential canes collapse. Make the sweet 16 we will generate interest.

Canedude, I hear what you're saying. For me, it still comes down to an arena that is half full is not really a sellout. Whether people have paid or not. It's hard to accept seeing a half full Watsco game after game, good team or bad.

As to why the AD might fudge the numbers, I don't know. But ... you see it clearly also at Hard Rock. Crowd counts are routinely almost doubled. Why would they do that? People and viewers have eyes. When other major college programs claim "sellouts," the numbers in the stands appear to be real turnstile counts. We're the only school who has this large disparity?

Actually not. Outside of the schools in the middle of bumble**k, people count sold tickets over asses in seats on a regular basis. Nebraska has counted sold seats for decades, even though if you were to see Nebraska football during the down years of Callahan and Pellini, there were empty spots at Memorial Stadium. USC does the same thing.

Again, if you don't have seats to sell to the general public the event is sold out. That's the definition of sell out. No organization gives a **** about whether you show up, if they've already gotten the money out of you. People know that Miami has fans that will only show up to big games, people also know that Miami fans aren't going to show up to see a mediocre product. Let's be honest, asses in seats sellouts in most places are more a result of there being NOTHING ELSE TO DO. The same kind of kid that crows about "They always have everyone at the arena/stadium" is using that as a shorthand. Just like "Oh their facilities" is shorthand for "These guys will take care of me". It's all garbage.

They are expecting a quintessential canes collapse. Make the sweet 16 we will generate interest.

Let's be honest, our fanbase doesn't even know the team exists. It's the worst fanbase in college sports, may be the worst collective fanbase in sports period outside of bigoted European Soccer Fanbases.

Advertisement
local “fans”waiting til games no longer on campus to show up.
(I’m admittedly ignorant of WBB tourney schedule going forward)

Advertisement
Back