NCAA Early Signing Period

Advertisement
I like

"Miami’s Al Golden: “I feel strongly about an early signing period. I think we should have three signing days. The first signing day would be prior to Labor Day as you’re going into your senior year of high school. I would say close to 50-percent of the pool is done (with kids committed to colleges) by then. So we should go ahead and have an early signing day, and (the colleges will) know who is left in the pool (of available prospects). It would be very cost effective for all the institutions and all the athletic departments … These are the most prominent kids. They know where they are going coming out of camp season or their junior year of high school or long before that. It’s (a situation where) either their dream school has offered them, or they’ve always wanted to go to that certain college. (The second group’s) opportunity to sign would be right before Christmas, Dec. 22 or Dec. 23, right in that window. That’s the type of student-athletes we see the most after (the first group). This group knows where they want to go by Christmas. Obviously, every time we have a signing day, we are verifying the pool, and thus saving our expenses. Finally, the last signing day for the third group would be where it is now in February … Most people on the outside don’t understand that there are six opportunities for contact in December and January. Even if a kid is committed, as a coach, you go see him … For instance, our quarterback this year from California was committed but you have to go out there six times to see him. And it costs a lot of money to do that. And you send your recruiting coach, your position coach, your coordinator and whatever the case may be. But if that kid wanted to come to Miami and had the opportunity to sign early, then it would be very cost effective for everybody for involved. So that’s what I would like to see come to fruition, to do at least two signing day windows and perhaps three …"

Advertisement
Back