NCAA Considering Early Signing Period

MDOcane

here we go again...
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...caa-considering-early-signing-period-football

53.gif

Advertisement
A lot of good can come of this...

The Wednesday before thanksgiving will become ESD. On ESD a player is allowed to sign a LOI to a school and for the first time be committed. Anyone that signs an LOI on that date is officially committed to the school. Anyone that doesn't sign an LOI is uncommitted. There will be no BS commitments or decommittments, only players that are signed and unsigned.

"I know the [Southeastern Conference] coaches are not in favor of changing the recruiting calendar," Kentucky's Mark Stoops said in January. "If things start moving up, it changes the way we've been doing things for a long time."

We wouldn't want that

Advertisement
"I know the [Southeastern Conference] coaches are not in favor of abolishing slavery," Kentucky's Mark Stoops said in January. "If things start moving up, it changes the way we've been doing things for a long time."

We wouldn't want that

Fixed

This is huge! There will be no more Riley gibbons! That really sucked. That will really tell you who is truly committed.

I think it should be even earlier. Think about it, the recruiting for this 2015 class starts in February 2014 and Ends in February 2015. 8 months from now would be when the core of classes become solid. I think October would be the best date for an early signing period, because it leaves 3 months for the programs to focus on the rest of the remaining prospects and make life a lot easier.

So what happens in January when head coaches are fired or move to new schools.

I think February is already too early for a new staff to have a new class in place when those type of changes happen, this would help keep some classes in tact but I'm sure there will be rules allowing players out of their commitment if the staff leaves and we're back to square one.

Advertisement
"I know the [Southeastern Conference] coaches are not in favor of changing the recruiting calendar," Kentucky's Mark Stoops said in January. "If things start moving up, it changes the way we've been doing things for a long time."

We wouldn't want that
Translation: We dont know til about December/January on who to cut the checks to.

So what happens in January when head coaches are fired or move to new schools.

I think February is already too early for a new staff to have a new class in place when those type of changes happen, this would help keep some classes in tact but I'm sure there will be rules allowing players out of their commitment if the staff leaves and we're back to square one.

I dont believe basketball has any rules like that for their early signing so why would they do it for football.

Should let kids out if HC or coordinator gets fired/leaves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back