NC State Game 2

This is the worst take on the whole board. Go ahead and put together a team without showcase kids and see how far that gets you. They have “baseball players” lol. Give me a break man. Almost all of the top players in the country played showcase including almost all of their team

You’re missing the point. We know that every D1 player plays travel ball. But there are travel ball players who show up to perform for scouts, and there are players who truly know and play the game of baseball. We take the showcase heroes who grade out with top scores. We don’t invest the time to find baseball players. That’s why we are so horrid on defense. The guys we target have never been interested in playing defense because showcases focus on body measurements and exit velocity.

Advertisement
I know that threads can be hard to follow, but I was simply responding to someone who mentioned Florida.
Idk if you could read but I said I feel like someone mentions Florida’s team on this board every weekend on how their series went.

And we gotta get Gates to learn to play the outfield!
2R Hr by him.
7-6 9th inning. 2 outs.
Castillo hitting. Zamora on 1st with a single.

Agree on Gates. Have to find a way to get him or Del Castillo to figure out RF; then we can DH Tuero and Rivera. Jenkins, Crosbie, and Escala should be late inning pinch runners/defensive replacements only.

Advertisement
Del Castillo can handle RF. He's a ball player.

Insert him there and Gates at DH and baby you got a stew going.

We can't execute the basics. Lead off double. Moore strikes out looking. Layla with a nice base hit. Looking at the replay, Vilar had a small secondary lead at second base. Easily thrown out at the plate. These guys need to grow up and execute.

We don't recruit it. We don't coach it. …. so why should we expect it??

Bad at bats, stupid base running, poor defense.

"The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." - Albert Einstein

You’re missing the point. We know that every D1 player plays travel ball. But there are travel ball players who show up to perform for scouts, and there are players who truly know and play the game of baseball. We take the showcase heroes who grade out with top scores. We don’t invest the time to find baseball players. That’s why we are so horrid on defense. The guys we target have never been interested in playing defense because showcases focus on body measurements and exit velocity.

Right bc kids that play on elite travel teams can’t field ground balls and only have protectable body types.

It’s a ridiculous statement bc you of all people, love to dog our coaches but in the one scenario where it’s warranted you won’t. Everybody on this team can field. It’s on the coaches to work with them to focus on fundamentals and their lazy feet. Talented players can get lazy.

Right bc kids that play on elite travel teams can’t field ground balls and only have protectable body types.

It’s a ridiculous statement bc you of all people, love to dog our coaches but in the one scenario where it’s warranted you won’t. Everybody on this team can field. It’s on the coaches to work with them to focus on fundamentals and their lazy feet. Talented players can get lazy.

There are many kids on travel ball teams who are great bodies with great measurables who can’t really play baseball. MLB drafts a ton of them every year. I’m not sure why this is an argument. It’s not debatable. It’s just like when Coker would recruit based on website profiles or recruiting a 6’10 basketball player because he’s 6’10. It’s lazy recruiting and we’ve been doing it for a while.

Advertisement
There are many kids on travel ball teams who are great bodies with great measurables who can’t really play baseball. MLB drafts a ton of them every year. I’m not sure why this is an argument. It’s not debatable. It’s just like when Coker would recruit based on website profiles or recruiting a 6’10 basketball player because he’s 6’10. It’s lazy recruiting and we’ve been doing it for a while.

You can’t switch to a blanket argument now. I never said it didn’t happen. I said we didn’t have many of them on this team. Guys like Toral and Zamora who fit what you complain about were ultra productive at all levels they have played at and are talented. They are just lazy at times and when you’re lazy your fundamentals aren’t there

You can’t switch to a blanket argument now. I never said it didn’t happen. I said we didn’t have many of them on this team. Guys like Toral and Zamora who fit what you complain about were ultra productive at all levels they have played at and are talented. They are just lazy at times and when you’re lazy your fundamentals aren’t there

Im not switching anything, newbie. I'm trying to simplify it so that you understand.

Im not switching anything, newbie. I'm trying to simplify it so that you understand.

There isn’t any simplification needed. Your first point was wrong and then you broadened it. It’s fine to be frustrated with this team, but at least try to make points that make sense and are factual

There isn’t any simplification needed. Your first point was wrong and then you broadened it. It’s fine to be frustrated with this team, but at least try to make points that make sense and are factual

Except that you haven't provided one shred of evidence that I am wrong. I know how these guys recruit. I'm not guessing.

Advertisement
Tony Jenkins is a perfect example. That kid is just an athlete. He's not a baseball player. Yet he graded a 9.5 according to Perfect Game. Read his Perfect Game profile. It's all about being projectable. "Projects well physically". "Raw arm strength still developing". "Will need to continue to develop on offense". But he's a 9.5 because he can fly and he looks great in a uniform.

Tony Jenkins is a perfect example. That kid is just an athlete. He's not a baseball player. Yet he graded a 9.5 according to Perfect Game. Read his Perfect Game profile. It's all about being projectable. "Projects well physically". "Raw arm strength still developing". "Will need to continue to develop on offense". But he's a 9.5 because he can fly and he looks great in a uniform.

Congrats on naming one kid who doesn’t start every game. And if you knew how they recruited you would know you can take flyers on a few athletes and develop them. 90% of the team was not that.

Congrats on naming one kid who doesn’t start every game. And if you knew how they recruited you would know you can take flyers on a few athletes and develop them. 90% of the team was not that.

The evidence is how poorly we play defense. Guys don't know where to go with the ball, make terrible throws, can't hit cuts, etc. That's because that is how they played before they arrived on campus. Lazy recruiting, period. These guys are JAGS. Kids from North Carolina, who actually know how to play baseball, salivate over the opportunity to play against our guys.

Advertisement

"90% of the team", for three years running, hasn't been good enough to make a 64-team tournament. Lazy recruiting.

Toral didn't hit as a junior or as a senior in high school. We fell in love with his body when he was a sophomore.

Don't recruit lazy, south Florida travel ball heroes. Find kids who can play and who want to play.

We've used 18 position players, and Jenkins has the 8th most PA's on the team. They didn't "take a flyer" on him. They had every intention of using him every day.

Advertisement
Back