NC GM Matchups and Predictions

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Matchups -
  • UofM OL vs UW Front 7- They've been punching above their weight class, but make no mistake - this is a HUGE advantage for Michigan. Coaching matters big time, and I've been banging that drum on here for the longest time (while others kept saying we just need the players, but anyway...), however, when you have two excellent coaching staffs, THEN the athletic advantages can take place. Unlike Texas, Michigan's OL will impose their will on UW's front 7.
    • Advantage Meeeechigan
  • UofM Front 7 vs UW OL- U dub will have decent pass pro, but I do think Penix, not unlike Milroe, will feel more pass rush pressure than he's felt all year.
    • Advantage(s): UW slightly in pass pro, but OofM will shut down any run game.
  • UofM Secondary vs UW Passing Game- If UW has any real chance in this game, this is where they will need to hit oil. The problem is, and one of the main reasons why I think UofM wins the game, is that the Wolverines have the best and most disciplined secondary in the country. The term, "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him" comes to mind.
    • Advantage: Slightly to UW because they have an A+ QB and the best WR core in the country. I don't think it's large enough to make a difference.
  • UofM Passing Game vs UW Secondary - Play action pass will be a huge advantage for UofM since I don't think UW's D will consistently stop the run game. Also, a huge weapon for UofM that they didn't use much against BAMA is their stud TE. Look for PA and TE usage against the Huskies.
    • Advantage: HUGE UofM advantage.
  • Special Teams - UofM was dreadful in this phase of the game and it almost cost them dearly. I'm sure they'll shore it up a little bit, but....
    • Advantage: UW, but I do expect UofM to clamp down over the next week.
  • Coaching: They're both really good.
    • Advantage: DeBoer has done so much with so little, that it's hard to not give him the nod here, but UofM's staff is excellent and they are phenomenal at player development.
Prediction -
  • UW will hit UofM in the mouth early and will go up by 2 scores. UofM will settle down in the 2nd quarter, re-establish the trenches and catch up. 3rd quarter, UofM will go ahead and look to pull away and then Penix and those WR's will focus and bring them back. UofM will salt it way late - no OT needed. It will be a great game!!
    • Score: UW 30 vs UofM 37. A classic for the ages!
    • Bonus prediction: if UW doesn't hit them in the mouth in the 1st quarter and UofM's run game starts rolling, the Wolverines put it away early.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back