National Defensive Stats (EARLY look)

Yes - it has only been two games, however check out how our defense ranks early in the season.

Total D - 41st
Red Zone D - 6th (tied)
Turnovers forced - 11th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense - 38th
Rushing Defense - 47th
Sacks - 10th (tied) - 7 sacks already, had 13 all of last season. I don't think this can be understated.
Fumbles Recovered - 3rd (tied)
EDIT** Scoring Defense - 18th

Regression to the mean is bound to occur with only two games played, but I do not believe these numbers are statistically insignificant. I think we will see a defense MUCH improved from last season. Two areas which I think will be leaps and bounds improved will be the sack #'s and the turnovers forced. We have not had a secondary that has had the ability to intercept passes AS A UNIT like the group we field today. I look forward to see if we can pick off 8-12 balls as a team this year, which would be a vast improvement over years past.

The defensive performance has been discussed at length, but I thought taking a look at the national numbers would be fun (something that was a painstaking task during last season).

:neonu::neonu:

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/index/11520?org_id=415.0

We stay healthy, these numbers will improve...both because of experience and the offense will turn it around. Al will not have it. What is going on now with the offense is just timing. not personal, like the defense last year.

Advertisement
Regression to the mean is bound to occur with only two games played

I somewhat disagree. A lot of teams have only played cupcakes so far. Also, I read that our defense is currently near the top of the nation in snaps played, which will affect some of those stats.

This, once the offense gets clicking, the defensive numbers should be better.

Advertisement
Back