N I L : the future of recruiting....

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
So I thought I would drop this here - this is a brief comment taken from 5 star QB Caleb Williams weekly blog for Sports Illustrated. He and his "group" - father, coaches, investment advisors - have taken a very deliberate approach to his recruitment - there has been a plan and one of the boxes to check off involves "building his brand". he has been looking at how his final schools will help him do this. (OU, Maryland or LSU) The expectation is he will announce for OU on the now public commitment date: July 4th.

This week I trained, I worked out, I talked business, investing, a little bit of NIL (name, image and likeness), but not really too much on that to really talk about. Just to let you know that I did it and we're talking about business, building my own brand, making a training website/app when it gets to that time. Trying to figure out my own symbol and things like that to trademark me later in the process, through college and years after.
I sat with Coach Russ (Russell Thomas), one of my mentors and coaches. Over this past week or so, we've been talking on investing and building my own brand with things that can help me in the near future.

IMO, and I know it's been mentioned here, this whole topic is going to become a part of selling a school to the blue chip guys. I happen to think this kid is way ahead of many. He's done his visits with an entourage - all of his "advisors" and business associates of the father.

It's just another selling tool that is going to separate the really good recruiters from the weak ones...

Advertisement
Whatever school that kid decides to commit to better give him the starting job day 1 or he gone. No one is going to care about his training website or merch if he doesn't even play.

There are so many busts from the high school to college level, I really wonder how businesses are going to protect themselves and how kids are going to react if things don't go their way right away

Whatever school that kid decides to commit to better give him the starting job day 1 or he gone. No one is going to care about his training website or merch if he doesn't even play.

There are so many busts from the high school to college level, I really wonder how businesses are going to protect themselves and how kids are going to react if things don't go their way right away
And he seems to be a big lean to OU, doubt he unseats Spencer Rattler. I understand that kids wants to play early but there are times you need to wait your turn.

Advertisement
No problem with athletes dreaming big and planning for the future. Maybe it's just the way the article is worded but some of them need to step foot on the field and perform before talking about their image, symbol, and brand publicly. JMO.

Just make contract

"If not starting by so and so deal is terminated"

No problem with athletes dreaming big and planning for the future. Maybe it's just the way the article is worded but some of them need to step foot on the field and perform before talking about their image, symbol, and brand publicly. JMO.

For real. At the end of the day, you’re here to eat, sleep, breathe football... not your social media presence. We need that mentality back in football.

These kid's today are something serious!! I have a son who's going to the 10th grade, these kid's hear ppl talk about their potential and take it to another level... Social media and the internet has given these kids a platform and they are definitely looking for the easiest way to get their names out their.. JUST PERFORM ON THE FIELD!!

Advertisement
If your're real good and have a personality with a pulse, it shouldn't be that difficult to build your brand.

I’ve gotta agree.... so many of these kids bust out for a multitude of reasons.

I mean having the frame work of maybe a symbol to brand is cool. But unless this whole app/training thing is just a tool to help funnel booster money I don’t see how he expectscoll for it to take off

A lot of hot air. And the kid has no clue that the schools are going to tell them anything they want to hear. This kid is worried about his symbol instead of working on shifting pass protections so he does not end up on his back. And just when the kid thinks it is his turn his OU coach is going to bring in a transfer in a second.

Advertisement
No talent no brand, can't be worrying about that yet. Branding will take care of itself.
Unless you're a reality tv star like the Kardashians, you need to have some sort of appeal talent to build a brand, in his case is football which should be his priority now.

Just look at Manziel and what happened to his brand once he was out of football.

So I thought I would drop this here - this is a brief comment taken from 5 star QB Caleb Williams weekly blog for Sports Illustrated. He and his "group" - father, coaches, investment advisors - have taken a very deliberate approach to his recruitment - there has been a plan and one of the boxes to check off involves "building his brand". he has been looking at how his final schools will help him do this. (OU, Maryland or LSU) The expectation is he will announce for OU on the now public commitment date: July 4th.

This week I trained, I worked out, I talked business, investing, a little bit of NIL (name, image and likeness), but not really too much on that to really talk about. Just to let you know that I did it and we're talking about business, building my own brand, making a training website/app when it gets to that time. Trying to figure out my own symbol and things like that to trademark me later in the process, through college and years after.
I sat with Coach Russ (Russell Thomas), one of my mentors and coaches. Over this past week or so, we've been talking on investing and building my own brand with things that can help me in the near future.

IMO, and I know it's been mentioned here, this whole topic is going to become a part of selling a school to the blue chip guys. I happen to think this kid is way ahead of many. He's done his visits with an entourage - all of his "advisors" and business associates of the father.

It's just another selling tool that is going to separate the really good recruiters from the weak ones...

I'm hoping that this will favor big-city schools, and schools with good B-schools. Miami's B-School needs to make sure it beefs up the Marketing Department to focus on modern methods and sports/entertainment marketing. Need to put our Athletic Department's new graphics designer on adjunct faculty.

Advertisement
Nothing wrong with planning. Still will have to achieve success in practice and in games to establish and build a brand. Kids and game changing. Gonna be something teams will have to adjust to in recruiting.

I'm hoping that this will favor big-city schools, and schools with good B-schools. Miami's B-School needs to make sure it beefs up the Marketing Department to focus on modern methods and sports/entertainment marketing. Need to put our Athletic Department's new graphics designer on adjunct faculty.

One would hope so. But what will really happen is that the big money boosters at the Bamas and Georgias will just be able to legitimise their bag game. Incoming freshmen in tuscaloosa will be signing 250k "endorsement deals" with car dealerships (free cadillac included) while down here our star guys will be lucky to earn 5 figures.

Advertisement
Back