My thoughts

dodaniels

Freshman
I attended my 2nd Miami game (recently moved to the ATL area from SC).

I expected Bama to win by double digits, no surprise. The game atmosphere and pregame festivities were nice.

The major reason Bama won this game was in the trenches. Bama is probably the only team that's has a luxury in playing E. Neal (6-7 350) at LT. On most teams he be starting at G due to his sheer size and strength. I believed we tried that with N. Donaldson but he wasn't good enough and it left a gapping hole at G.

Overall, Bama QB had about 4 seconds in the pocket before he felt pressure and used his D-T ability to extend the play. Whereas, King had 2 seconds to make a play. That's has been the blueprint of success for Bama during Saban tenure.

For defense, I thought our DL played to the best of their ability which resulted in 10 TFL, multiple QB pressure, limited big play runs. However, we surely missed J. Phillips and GR 18 for this game only. The DL will be fine going forward.

I thought our secondary coverage improved, with the exception of blown coverage. Also, you can'tagainsusecondary to cover WR's/TE's for more than 6 seconds every play. Bryce Young held on the ball for a long time before releasing it due to clean pocket. Bama receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.

I'm not concerned with our LB play when Flagg, K. Smith, and A. Carter (xtra STK) are on the field.

We're a dime personnel running a 43 & 4-2-5 package and that's the new norm going against spread teams, excluding Bama.

Our tackling needs to be cleaned up (recurring trend), but I like our team pursuant to the ball.

On offense, I was disappointed with lashlee game plan. We played right into Bama hands and didn't test them deep in the 1st half. I believed all our deep plays resulted in positive yds due PI calls and X-Man TD catch. I believed our offensive identity should use the passing game to setup the running game. Also, our top 4 receivers could a major asset for the offense.

Overall, our real season begins with App St. because the Bama game was a measure stick to see if we were national title contenders. We'll probably be favored in our all games going forward. I predict we'll finish with at least a 9-3 record (Coastal Champs). Personally, Manny need to go at least 5-1 against the following UNC, VT, NCST, PITT, FSU, and UVA to keep the fan base on his side.

Advertisement
Maybe the Bama loss will wake up players and coaches to the reality that they have to put in more work if they want serious consideration in the NFL draft or for prime coaching positions elsewhere. As mentioned in another thread, the hype in these opening games seems counterproductive. UM needs to develop momentum, not necessarily against D-3 schools but against the middle and bottom tiers of D-1 conferences. The let down after being hyped in a nationally televised game against an elite team takes several weeks to get over. Look at the competition against other ranked teams: Texas A&M played Kent State; Iowa State played Northern Iowa; Cincinnati blew out Miami of Ohio; Oregon almost lost to Fresno State; FL played FL Atlantic. Come on! Why does UM sacrifice any juice it might possess with these crushing losses in opening games? It is time to consider what the team is currently capable of winning instead of thinking about what it used to be capable of winning. That humility and hunger will push players and coaches to perform at a higher level.

Maybe the Bama loss will wake up players and coaches to the reality that they have to put in more work if they want serious consideration in the NFL draft or for prime coaching positions elsewhere. As mentioned in another thread, the hype in these opening games seems counterproductive. UM needs to develop momentum, not necessarily against D-3 schools but against the middle and bottom tiers of D-1 conferences. The let down after being hyped in a nationally televised game against an elite team takes several weeks to get over. Look at the competition against other ranked teams: Texas A&M played Kent State; Iowa State played Northern Iowa; Cincinnati blew out Miami of Ohio; Oregon almost lost to Fresno State; FL played FL Atlantic. Come on! Why does UM sacrifice any juice it might possess with these crushing losses in opening games? It is time to consider what the team is currently capable of winning instead of thinking about what it used to be capable of winning. That humility and hunger will push players and coaches to perform at a higher level.
Maybe our coaches will stop coaching scared and conservatively and just go play some ******* football man

Advertisement

I expected Bama to win by double digits, no surprise. The game atmosphere and pregame festivities were nice.

The major reason Bama won this game was in the trenches. Bama is probably the only team that's has a luxury in playing E. Neal (6-7 350) at LT. On most teams he be starting at G due to his sheer size and strength. I believed we tried that with N. Donaldson but he wasn't good enough and it left a gapping hole at G.

Overall, Bama QB had about 4 seconds in the pocket before he felt pressure and used his D-T ability to extend the play. Whereas, King had 2 seconds to make a play. That's has been the blueprint of success for Bama during Saban tenure.

For defense, I thought our DL played to the best of their ability which resulted in 10 TFL, multiple QB pressure, limited big play runs. However, we surely missed J. Phillips and GR 18 for this game only. The DL will be fine going forward.

I thought our secondary coverage improved, with the exception of blown coverage. Also, you can'tagainsusecondary to cover WR's/TE's for more than 6 seconds every play. Bryce Young held on the ball for a long time before releasing it due to clean pocket. Bama receivers covered for about 3-4 seconds.

I'm not concerned with our LB play when Flagg, K. Smith, and A. Carter (xtra STK) are on the field.

We're a dime personnel running a 43 & 4-2-5 package and that's the new norm going against spread teams, excluding Bama.

Our tackling needs to be cleaned up (recurring trend), but I like our team pursuant to the ball.

On offense, I was disappointed with lashlee game plan. We played right into Bama hands and didn't test them deep in the 1st half. I believed all our deep plays resulted in positive yds due PI calls and X-Man TD catch. I believed our offensive identity should use the passing game to setup the running game. Also, our top 4 receivers could a major asset for the offense.

Overall, our real season begins with App St. because the Bama game was a measure stick to see if we were national title contenders. We'll probably be favored in our all games going forward. I predict we'll finish with at least a 9-3 record (Coastal Champs). Personally, Manny need to go at least 5-1 against the following UNC, VT, NCST, PITT, FSU, and UVA to keep the fan base on his side.
You can wear your canes coastal champs tshirt around ATL with pride

The DL will struggle to generate pressure all year long (except perhaps against our absolute weakest opponents). That will be a major problem. Need to get Leonard Taylor and any of the younger players that generate a pass rush involved. Otherwise, QBs will be picking us apart all year long. I think this will be a problem for us.

The tackling was abysmal. It wasn't even close to acceptable. I get that they want to minimize injuries during camp but Bama had zero issues tackling. It's not even close to the standard of Hurricane football. That part was downright embarrassing. Tackling should be made a part of every defensive meeting & practice until it's dramatically better. Basic fundamentals need to be emphasized more.

We should have tested Bama more with the passing game. It hasn't been mentioned much but Bama plays hella dirty. Lots of holding, pass interference, combo of defensive holding & targeting on the same play. They are talented no doubt but they also got away with tons of dirty play. Nevertheless, we should have continued to pass the ball more in the first half.

I still cannot understand what goes through Lashlee's mind when he runs Cam straight up the middle for no gain three times in a row. First run: "m's stats between the tackles were his strongest last year & we've got to establish the run so they don't jump our routes in the passing game". OK, I can buy that. Second run up the gut: "That was totally ineffective...so let's do that again. We're committed to establishing the run gosh d@rnit." No gain. Third run up the gut: "Well, the first two didn't work out so we're going to totally catch them off guard. They'll never guess that we'll run the same play three times in a row (especially after we laid an egg on the first two). Super smart!!" Uh, actually there's so much film of you doing this now that everyone and their brother knew that third run up the gut was coming. It does nothing but waste a really precious series and hand the ball back quickly to the opponent. At this level, where the difference between winning or losing (against a typical opponent) can be razor thin, every down matters and so does every series. Running into the teeth of Alabama's defense three times in a row is nothing short of [ ]. How about a quick developing play that gets the ball into your playmakers hands in space? How about establishing a passing game first to set up the run (especially when your opponent is so stout in the trenches)? Serious question: how many points would we have scored, if D'Eriq was given free reign to call the offensive plays? I bet you it would have been more than 13.

You are absolutely right about our identity needing to be the passing game to setup the run. The major problem with that is that it will never be implemented because neither Lashlee nor Diaz understand or comprehend this concept. Lashlee/Diaz actually thought they were going to control tempo with our inside zone against Alabama. Yes they are that far gone. This offense will undoubtedly underachieve because of this. We will leave hundreds of yards and double digit points on the field because of this.

Advertisement
We were able to get pressure on Young, that wasn’t the issue. The issue is our inability to set an edge or keep any type of containment on a QB that we knew had good mobility. Our DL and blitzing personnel as a whole just mindlessly either flew up field or in some instances dropped back in zones covering no one. We had corners lined up 10+ yards off the LOS on the side of the formation where there was no receiving option pre snap. On offense, Lashlee claims to run power spread, but how many times did we see a guard or TE pulling on a run play (forget just how bad our receivers and tight ends are at blocking to begin with)??

Were they better than us in the trenches…….yes. With that said, we have some serious coaching issues that go beyond scheme. The players aren’t fundamentally sound and often times flat out confused with no real feel for the game (especially on defense). You can’t expect to compete against equal to or better talent when you’re not put in the proper position to do so to begin with.

1631036710310.jpeg

Bottom line: Manny = Manuela.

Advertisement

9fcb48be0b9444382ce2db4a4de1c477.gif

Advertisement
I was mad as **** during the game. But looking back on it, we just need to clean some things up. Tackling was horrendous, but we got pressure on Young against a good offensive line, we held up against the run (we all predicted Bama would run the ball down our throats all game), our receivers were actually a mismatch against their DBs. Also no one has talked about how we put up 13 points against maybe the best defense in the country, while Clemson could only get a field goal off against Georgia.

Lashlee baffled me with some of those plays he called, especially the runs on 3rd and long and the QB sneak at the goal line and his refusal to throw the ball more often despite us having success. But we have a lot of talent on this team.

I am by no means trying to pump sunshine up everyone’s a$$, we obviously have a lot to improve before we are ever Bama level. But I don’t think it’s as doom and gloom as a lot of people on here think it is

When Lashlee went up tempo in the 2nd half was when we finally moved the ball, tempo in the first half was what I expected as I thought the idea was to wear down a defense. Wonder why the change?

Also no one has talked about how we put up 13 points against maybe the best defense in the country, while Clemson could only get a field goal off against Georgia.
This is not a direct shot at you because there are countless others on this site that would type something like that but it’s still fascinating to me that are individuals with this type of mindset.

I felt midly encouraged against Clemson then we got beat to sleep by UNC. We need to dominate the following opponents, thats where im at.

Advertisement
Back