My Thoughts From At The Game

zoso493

Redshirt *** Splitter
I know this is a little bit late, but I'm just now getting home and having time to share my thoughts from being at the game in Chapel Hill. Most of you have probably forgotten about the game by now with all of the bull**** that's gone down in the last couple of days, but I just wanted to give some thoughts that haven't really been talked about on here. Let me preface this by saying - this board has had enough potatoes on it in the past 5 days to feed the whole of Ireland - you will find no such commentary here.

-I know it didn't sound hostile on TV, but god **** UNC was pumped up for this game. I'm an alum of UNC (I graduated in 2011), and this was by far the most hyped up UNC has been for a game since I've been going to games there. I really, really believe that the atmosphere and the crowd had a lot to do with the 'Canes struggles early on. I know this wasn't a super ferocious venue, but it was still pretty loud and intense in there, and after watching the highlights, that volume didn't really translate to TV. I'm glad we got that experience, though, because Doak Campbell is going to be rocking on November 2.

-Dallas Crawford is an animal. Dude was breaking multiple tackles every time he touched the ball. The nice old southern gentleman sitting behind me said of Dallas during the second half, "Gawlee, I reckon they musta dipped him in french fry grease, that feller's mighty slipp'ry!" He wasn't wrong (about the slippery part).

-Eric Ebron is also an animal. I know we got torched by him and there's no excuse for him having 1,192,213,912,355 yards against our secondary, but that ****** is going to be the first TE taken in the draft. He's big, athletic, strong and fast, and that one-handed catch he had over the middle was phenomenal.

-UNC looked pretty strong as a team. I know they were 1-4 coming into the game, but that team looked and played strong, and they had the vibe of a well-conditioned team. We didn't push them around for the first three quarters, but it was obvious that UTough came on strong in the fourth. I don't think that UNC was a pushover at all from a physical standpoint.

-UNC's o-line played great. I know we weren't creative with our blitzing packages and stunts, but they have a couple of really, really good bookends - especially Hurst. On just about every 3rd and 4 or more, Tyriq and Arab Money were coming in, and they got stonewalled for the most part. It was pretty obvious to me that those guys are still a UTough away from having the strength to be REALLY effective, but my god when they do add that extra weight, they're going to be terrifying. You could tell just during warm-ups that those are some twitchy mother****ers.

-The away turnout was pretty weak for this game. No idea why. There were plenty of tickets available. Last time the 'Canes played at UNC (2011) there was actually a pretty solid turnout, so I was disappointed that the ******s didn't come out in full force (but make no mistake, there were ******s there).

-Tracy was blanketing receivers all night. He's not impressive from a physical standpoint, but he really knows how to play cornerback. So happy that he was able to come up with two huge picks, and I hope he can continue with that momentum for the rest of the season.

-I'm shocked that no one has been talking about the play calling in the first half. There were two times we got inside the 3-yard line and had to settle for field goals. That **** is just not going to cut it, and I hope we stop getting cutesy in the red zone. Just run the ******* football. We have the horses to do it. There were also a couple of 2nd and shorts where we were running the football at will, and then we'd come up passing for two straight plays. It drove me mad and it killed off what could have been some promising drives. I hope we start to commit a little bit more to the running game in the coming weeks, and I hope Mo Hagens can get some touches.

-That was a great win. I hated coming on here after the game and reading all of the negative comments about the game. We played literally the worst game we could have played on the road in a rough environment and still pulled out a gutsy win. I couldn't believe we won that game, and the players were ******* excited about it. Enjoy it, bros, we're 6-0 and broke the hearts of one of the gayest fan bases in the ACC in the process.

Advertisement
-I'm shocked that no one has been talking about the play calling in the first half. There were two times we got inside the 3-yard line and had to settle for field goals. That **** is just not going to cut it, and I hope we stop getting cutesy in the red zone. Just run the ****ing football. We have the horses to do it. There were also a couple of 2nd and shorts where we were running the football at will, and then we'd come up passing for two straight plays. It drove me mad and it killed off what could have been some promising drives. I hope we start to commit a little bit more to the running game in the coming weeks, and I hope Mo Hagens can get some touches.

#truestory-- Falls back on Kehoe and the o-line.

and broke the hearts of one of the gayest fan bases in the ACC in the process.

471.gif

Just to comment on one point. You hardly see a good turnout of away fans on a Thursday night unless it's a close drive for that fanbase or there is a large number of alum or fans in the area (like Atlanta). UM fans will show up in Chapel Hill for a Saturday game, but for a Thursday, it's a lot harder.

Just to comment on one point. You hardly see a good turnout of away fans on a Thursday night unless it's a close drive for that fanbase or there is a large number of alum or fans in the area (like Atlanta). UM fans will show up in Chapel Hill for a Saturday game, but for a Thursday, it's a lot harder.

Good point. Most of the ******s there looked unemployed anyway.

Also, let me take this time to congratulate you on being one of the more level-headed poster on this site for the past week (and longer). It's been hard to sift through some of the horse **** that's been put on here, but your posts have always been refreshing to read.

Advertisement

Good point. Most of the ******s there looked unemployed anyway.

Also, let me take this time to congratulate you on being one of the more level-headed poster on this site for the past week (and longer). It's been hard to sift through some of the horse **** that's been put on here, but your posts have always been refreshing to read.

They were probably pizza delivery guys, but it's all the same.

We don't have a good turnout at home, what makes you think we were going to travel well

because we actually usually have a very good turnout on the road in spite of our poor home attendance. Since we have alum and fans around the nation, especially in Charlotte and Atlanta, we have great crowds at ACC games. ACC opponents are shocked. They say, "Y'all get no one at your home games...blah, blah, blah...we didn't expect you guys to travel." The reality is, we don't "travel," we just have fans all around the country, so we usually are well represented on the road.

We don't have a good turnout at home, what makes you think we were going to travel well

because we actually usually have a very good turnout on the road in spite of our poor home attendance. Since we have alum and fans around the nation, especially in Charlotte and Atlanta, we have great crowds at ACC games. ACC opponents are shocked. They say, "Y'all get no one at your home games...blah, blah, blah...we didn't expect you guys to travel." The reality is, we don't "travel," we just have fans all around the country, so we usually are well represented on the road.

This.

Like I said, last time I went to see the 'Canes play at UNC in 2011, there were a ton of fans there. They had like 2 or 3 sections pretty much to themselves, and were scattered everywhere else. And they were pretty loud. This time there was probably half of that turnout.

I think we all know that 'Canes fans can be pretty fairweather fans as well, so I was expected more people to be there now that we have a little "10" next to our names on TV.

Advertisement
Conversely I spoke to a UNC fan that was there and he commented on the large number of Cane fans there?

Somebody's full of ****?

I was there and completely disagree on two points.
1. Plenty of Canes. Two full sections and a nice smattering of orange ALL OVER the visitor side. Plenty good showing.
2. Hostile or ferocious atmosphere? Pfft....

If that atmosphere bothered them then we are ****ED in Tally. That place was downright genteel in comparison.

Doak Campbell, while louder and larger than UNC's crowd, isn't an intimidating place to play. It's actually pretty tame for an 85,000 seat stadium. It can get "loud" but not too loud for that many fans. The configuration of the stadium doesn't hold in the noise. It'll be the loudest and most hostile environment we play in this year (obviously) but it's not the Swamp, or Death Valley (Clemson or LSU), or Lane Stadium.

Advertisement

Contrary to popular opinion and our small home fan base to the relative size of the large, land grant state schools, we travel very well, especially for a small, private school.

Contrary to popular opinion and our small home fan base to the relative size of the large, land grant state schools, we travel very well, especially for a small, private school.

Yah, don't let the facts get in the way of ****** self loathing fans. It's so sad that so called canes fans insist on perpetuating this bull**** attendance problem myth. Even though we average more fans than schools like Stanford, and just about every other private school in the nation not named Notre Dame.

Advertisement
-I'm shocked that no one has been talking about the play calling in the first half. There were two times we got inside the 3-yard line and had to settle for field goals. That **** is just not going to cut it, and I hope we stop getting cutesy in the red zone. Just run the ****ing football. We have the horses to do it. There were also a couple of 2nd and shorts where we were running the football at will, and then we'd come up passing for two straight plays. It drove me mad and it killed off what could have been some promising drives. I hope we start to commit a little bit more to the running game in the coming weeks, and I hope Mo Hagens can get some touches.

#truestory-- Falls back on Kehoe and the o-line.

When Randy was here everyone wanted to blame our lack of physical development on Swasey, but sometimes assistants are simply following the lead of their head coach. Its Golden not Kehoe who wants the constant reshuffling of the Oline. On this one, like it was with Randy, the blame should go the head coach.

correct cause
1. Our graduates actually make money to travel wherever the f we want
2. Our other fans are all over. Not just in one **** kicking bum *** state.

Not sure why but the parking garage I was at was over 50% Canes

correct cause
1. Our graduates actually make money to travel wherever the f we want
2. Our other fans are all over. Not just in one **** kicking bum *** state.

Case in point is any game vs GT, we fill about 30% of that stadium and the games against UCF and USF, we filled about 40% of those stadiums. Even back about a decade ago against Tennessee, the UT fans commented we brought more fans than Florida typically brings and they were relatively surprised by it. With our program climbing, we will travel better.

But Thursday games are the worst, I wish we would stay away from them, I can never get to them and I've missed some very good games because of it.

Advertisement
Back