My take

Hurricane Hero

Recruit
Corn Elder is a beast, he is the next Phillip Buchanan. R. Jenkins seems like he is back to prime form and the defense looked good for playing BCC. Ga-yot, McCray, Grace, Thomas, Owens, hertelou and C Jenkins looked solid and ready to contribute.
The running backs all looked great in their own specific ways, Chocolate seems to have the closest thing to a Duke Johnson burst while Walton looked like the most complete back and yearby might turn into the "thunder" of the group.
The offensive line looked strong collectively, but we still need an answer for the second most important position on the team, left tackle. Darling stopped moving his feet too many times which lead to him being benched and McDermott doesn't seem like he is 100 yet.
Now the bad, while many different receivers had catches, there is still a lot of unanswered questions with the group. R Scott who seemed to establish himself as the top option, but can he stay healthy for once and who will be the number two. We also saw two of our top guys go down with injuries and how severe are the injuries.
My biggest concern with the game was the playing call and the inconsistency of Kaaya. The 70yd 7min drive in the first quarter, which including several screens and dink passes made me uneasy. I wanted to see bigger plays. The execution of the offense in the first half was less than acceptable. I'm also starting to think Kaaya maybe a 60% or lower passer again this season.
Although the game left me wanting more from the team, I was happy about the shutout. After watching Nebraska, Cincy and the first half of FSU I wouldn't be completely shocked if they start out 5-0.

Advertisement
Kaaya might be overrated. Very little pocket awareness or mobility. Will struggle against a pass rush IMO.

Stacey Coley is still soft

Big questions at LT

Receivers had way too many drops. Malcom Lewis especially stood out for dropping too many balls.

Receivers didn't get any separation.

Defense played lights out

Corn Elder..... oh yeah.

D line is pretty **** good. I think this defense will be good even against top competition.

We have some running backs. IMO we need to be a running team this year, not a Brad Kaaya team. Our biggest playmakers are at the RB position.

Execution looked good from most units. Low amount of penalties. Not many mistakes on defense, filled the gaps well, no blown coverage, they just looked like a good, aggressive unit out there. Which surprised me.

Kaaya might be overrated. Very little pocket awareness or mobility. Will struggle against a pass rush IMO.

Big questions at LT

Receivers had way too many drops. Malcom Lewis especially stood out for dropping too many balls.

Corn Elder..... oh yeah.

D line is pretty **** good. I think this defense will be good even against top competition.

We have some running backs. IMO we need to be a running team this year, not a Brad Kaaya team. Our biggest playmakers are at the RB position.

Execution looked good from most units. Low amount of penalties. Not many mistakes on defense, filled the gaps well, no blown coverage, they just looked like a good, aggressive unit out there. Which surprised me.

i agree about the O, we should not be in 4-5 wides and shotgun all game. I hated the offense tonight.

I didn't see any separation from the WRs against a pretty slow FCS team. They will get blanketed against good corners.

Left tackle will get Kayaa hurt this season.

Big questions at LT

Corn Elder..... oh yeah.

I agree we need to be more of a running team, and I think that will open up the passing game as a result

Advertisement
Missing Coley and Berrios hurt the passing a ton. But there were too many drops even with rain. Kaaya was rusty but he'll be okay.

Kayaa looked okay. I think it has more to do with terrible play calling than Kayaa though

There isn't much to go on. FAMU score last year was 41-7. Cook is 45-0. We gave up less yards on defense but moved the ball for fewer yards. Kaaya threw two picks last year but zero tonight. BC was a much better team last year than FAMU.

We won't know anything about where this team stands until Nebraska.

Advertisement
I think our play calling was limited because they did not need to show much tonight. However, I have had it with the wide receiver screens. You can see why they are high on Norton, that guy is going to be a beast
The Corn Elder I saw tonight reminded me of what I saw on his high school film.
Nice to see low penalties.
Mark Walton is going to be special.
Grace balled out tonight. Great speed to the ball
This is the first time in a long time I saw the defense stay disciplined.
All in all this was more like a pre season game. That is why they schedule these games.

That Oline still worries me. Didn't get much of a push in the running game for long stretches and I wonder about pass pro versus better squads

This was a sparring session tonight or maybe even just hitting a heavy bag. Better indication will be the NEB and Cincy games going into FSU.

Advertisement
Only thing I learned tonight is that Coley still sucks as an OC. 3rd and 1, and greasehead throws a ******* WR screen? GTFOH. Best looking plays we ran all night were the 2 with Kaaya under center. Get that mickey mouse spread bs out of here.

I think our play calling was limited because they did not need to show much tonight. However, I have had it with the wide receiver screens. You can see why they are high on Norton, that guy is going to be a beast
All in all this was more like a pre season game. That is why they schedule these games.

Pretty much all of this.
Norton came in before Wyche. Wyche is trash. He plays with no leverage and cant move.
I really hope the screens were the result of keeping it vanilla and not showing everything.

Pretty much all of this.
Norton came in before Wyche. Wyche is trash. He plays with no leverage and cant move.
I really hope the screens were the result of keeping it vanilla and not showing everything.

Been hearing the "keeping it vanilla and not showing everything" mantra for a few years. So when have we ever come out with the chocolate and the boysenberry? Fraulden the Incompetent, and his staph, aren't clever enough.

All in all, they beat BCU like they were supposed to. FAU will be a bit tougher (lost 47-44 to Tulsa).

Remaining optimistic in spite of BCU's poor performance, because

Firing Day is 86 away.

[video=youtube;iPUmE-tne5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I also learned that I like Forest Connelly on color commentary. I thought he was pretty good. Play by play guy wasn't bad either.

That Oline still worries me. Didn't get much of a push in the running game for long stretches and I wonder about pass pro versus better squads

This was a sparring session tonight or maybe even just hitting a heavy bag. Better indication will be the NEB and Cincy games going into FSU.

Yes, the Oline looked shaky. I'm glad we start with two cupcake teams this year, as it will give the Oline time to gel and get used to playing together in a game situation. There is individual talent along the line, but it's very inexperienced. Hopefully they'll have it together better by Nebraska.

THIS.

Advertisement
Back