My Take On The Miami Coaching Situation

donnybrah

Redshirt Freshman
First off.. let me just say, the 58-0 loss was the worst thing I've ever seen in my years of watching football. Now, looking at the future of the coaching positions...

Head Coach:
- Won't be Greg Schiano. With the head coaching job set on Scott for the rest of the season as the interim, Schiano will get a job offer from an NFL team as an assistant or another college, likely.
- Won't be a coach who still has a coaching job at the end of the year. Don't think they're gonna steal a coach from another school at this point. I think NFL assistants, etc. sounds more realistic.
- WILL NOT be a coach that doesn't know Florida as is. Miami is one of the most high profile jobs of the past few years, and they have the pick of the crop. I doubt guys like James Franklin or Dana Holgorsen leave their current positions to come to Miami and they likely won't be part of the coaching search.

- WILL be a guy who knows the territory well. Likely will end up being a former Miami alum.
- WILL hopefully be a guy with experience. Winning preferably. That's why I think Cristobal just won't end up working.
- WILL be Chud or Cristobal. I think it's pretty simple here. I don't think Chuck Pagano(sad truth) will have any interest in the job when he can work in the NFL, whether for the Colts or another team as their HC. Chud hasn't been around for a while but he was great when he was here, and Cristobal took a talent-deficient FIU team and won their Conference with them. Now he's got a high profile job for the best team in college football the last 5 years. My guess is Cristobal gets the job. I'd love to see Butch more than anyone but the BoT just hates him at this point.

Do I support the sudden firing of Al Golden?
I can't say I really support Al Golden being fired at this point. There's a major issue with salvaging the recruiting class for next year, in my opinion. Miami has the 6th best recruiting class for next year, and chances are there will be a few guys who don't go there next year for the simple fact that Al Golden was a GREAT recruiter. However, there's really no way you can support a guy who lost 58-0 and wouldn't fire the worst defensive coordinator in the ACC. I love Al as a guy and the players sure as **** loved him, and he's been nothing but good for the city of Miami because of the situation he was handed. Guy deserves a little respect, but the winning factor just wasn't there. I'm a huge supporter of Al, but the 58-0 is just too much for me. At that point, there's nothing there left.

What's Miami's future for this season look like?
Depending on the health of the team and how the coaching is, Miami can still win the Coastal. Let's just be realistic here.

Sat, Oct 31 @ Duke
Sat, Nov 7 vs Virginia
Sat, Nov 14 @ North Carolina
Sat, Nov 21 vs Georgia Tech
Fri, Nov 27 @ Pittsburgh

If Miami beats Duke... they can beat anyone(okay, not Clemson, we got it). But why not win the Coastal? This is the most talented team of any of the future teams left to play. Now, if the coaching is good, then what? If Larry Scott can salvage the recruiting this year and win some games, I wholeheartedly believe this team is good enough to win out.

Last Side Note: Please don't hire high profile (Rich Rod eerily sneaks in my mind), it doesn't work. Hire a guy with Miami pedigree who knows the recruiting area and who has been part of a winning team.

U Gotta Believe

Last edited:
Advertisement
First off.. let me just say, the 58-0 loss was the worst thing I've ever seen in my years of watching football. Now, looking at the future of the coaching positions...

Head Coach:
- Won't be Greg Schiano. With the head coaching job set on Scott for the rest of the season as the interim, Schiano will get a job offer from an NFL team, likely.
- Won't be a coach who still has a coaching job at the end of the year. Don't think they're gonna steal a coach from another school at this point. I think NFL assistants, etc. sounds more realistic.
- WILL NOT be a coach that doesn't know Florida as is. Miami is one of the most high profile jobs of the past few years, and they have the pick of the crop. I doubt guys like James Franklin or Dana Holgorsen leave their current positions to come to Miami and they likely won't be part of the coaching search.

- WILL be a guy who knows the territory well. Likely will end up being a former Miami alum.
- WILL hopefully be a guy with experience. Winning preferably. That's why I think Cristobal just won't end up working.
- WILL be Chud or Cristobal. I think it's pretty simple here. I don't think Chuck Pagano(sad truth) will have any interest in the job when he can work in the NFL, whether for the Colts or another team as their HC. Chud hasn't been around for a while but he was great when he was here, and Cristobal took a talent-deficient FIU team and won their Conference with them. Now he's got a high profile job for the best team in college football the last 5 years. My guess is Cristobal gets the job. I'd love to see Butch more than anyone but the BoT just hates him at this point.

I can't say I really support Al Golden being fired at this point. There's a major issue with salvaging the recruiting class for next year, in my opinion. Miami has the 6th best recruiting class for next year, and chances are there will be a few guys who don't go there next year for the simple fact that Al Golden was a GREAT recruiter. However, there's really no way you can support a guy who lost 58-0 and wouldn't fire the worst defensive coordinator in the ACC. I love Al as a guy and the players sure as **** loved him, and he's been nothing but good for the city of Miami because of the situation he was handed. Guy deserves a little respect, but the winning factor just wasn't there. I'm a huge supporter of Al, but the 58-0 is just too much for me. At that point, there's nothing there left.

Depending on the health of the team and how the coaching is, Miami can still win the Coastal. Let's just be realistic here.

Sat, Oct 31 @ Duke
Sat, Nov 7 vs Virginia
Fri, Nov 27 @ Pittsburgh

If Miami beats Duke... they can beat anyone(okay, not Clemson, we got it). But why not win the Coastal? This is the most talented team of any of the future teams left to play. Now, if the coaching is good, then what? If Larry Scott can salvage the recruiting this year and win some games, I wholeheartedly believe this team is good enough to win out.

Last Side Note: Please don't hire high profile (Rich Rod eerily sneaks in my mind), it doesn't work. Hire a guy with Miami pedigree who knows the recruiting area and who has been part of a winning team.

U Gotta Believe

POTATO.

I'm going to go with a .00000000000001% chance that the OP has even a high school diploma.

One of the single most off-point posts I've ever read. And I've been on like 6 Canes boards over the years.

Quit reading at Schiano will get NFL job. Hope he does because I sure as **** don't want him here.

Advertisement
You lost me at Schiano finding an NFL coaching job again.

My guess is he's gonna find another job that isn't Miami because they won't commit to him. I guess I didn't finish writing, I just am all over the place right now. I was a Golden supporter. I just think Schiano's gonna get a job elsewhere because he's kind of a sleazeball and that's not what the U wants.

Head Coach:
- Won't be Greg Schiano. With the head coaching job set on Scott for the rest of the season as the interim, Schiano will get a job offer from an NFL team, likely.

Sat, Oct 31 @ Duke
Sat, Nov 7 vs Virginia
Fri, Nov 27 @ Pittsburgh

U Gotta Believe

Wow. You packed a lot of nonsense in that post. Impressive.

Advertisement
I don't understand y'all saying I'm not intelligent. I'm not writing an essay. I'm writing my ideas.

Head Coach:
- Won't be Greg Schiano. With the head coaching job set on Scott for the rest of the season as the interim, Schiano will get a job offer from an NFL team as an assistant or another college, likely.

Sat, Oct 31 @ Duke
Sat, Nov 7vs Virginia
Fri, Nov 27 @ Pittsburgh

U Gotta Believe
You support Golden? Smh

I don't understand y'all saying I'm not intelligent. I'm not writing an essay. I'm writing my ideas.

Sorry bout that. I'm just frustrated and think you might be best served looked at the kind of coaches in our past that we hired that proved to work out.

If you really study the history of guys like Howard, JJ, Dennis, and Butch, you would see that your opinion is really off base with what works here and what we need.

Some of what you wrote made sense, a lot does not. I agree on the need to find someone with knowledge of the south Florida area. Golden did not have any knowledge of it. Shannon picked a particular school to the exclusion of others that could have helped him. Coker just was clueless on recruiting. Butch, Erickson, Johnson and Schnellenberger (to a lesser extent) all targeted local South Florida guys. But what each of the successful coaches did is they promoted Miami as a CITY and a VIBE. They sold the town, and the recruits, that being from Miami was cool and something to be proud of. That is what is needed going forward. It is hip to be cool and play at Miami. It was us against the world every game, and the pride of the city depended on it. We need a coach who understands that vibe.

Advertisement
If you still supported Golden up untill the Clemson game...all I can't tell you is that your judgement should not be trusted.
You should sit this one out.
You should take some time and analyze that about yourself.
As far as the recruiting class is concern there zero chance it would have stayed togueter with Golden still in charge.

Some of what you wrote made sense, a lot does not. I agree on the need to find someone with knowledge of the south Florida area. Golden did not have any knowledge of it. Shannon picked a particular school to the exclusion of others that could have helped him. Coker just was clueless on recruiting. Butch, Erickson, Johnson and Schnellenberger (to a lesser extent) all targeted local South Florida guys. But what each of the successful coaches did is they promoted Miami as a CITY and a VIBE. They sold the town, and the recruits, that being from Miami was cool and something to be proud of. That is what is needed going forward. It is hip to be cool and play at Miami. It was us against the world every game, and the pride of the city depended on it. We need a coach who understands that vibe.

See, the thing is, Miami is as popular now as it's ever been. I feel like the recruiting could be saved, since the interim has a vast knowledge of the area and he's well liked. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down into some sort of intelligible piece of writing. I'm angry about how the season's going. It really sucks. Like, it's depressing seeing a guy who you like as a person not being successful at his job. But then again, just how life goes.

Sorry bout that. I'm just frustrated and think you might be best served looked at the kind of coaches in our past that we hired that proved to work out.

If you really study the history of guys like Howard, JJ, Dennis, and Butch, you would see that your opinion is really off base with what works here and what we need.

Of course. That's the past. I don't get why they didn't just fire Golden at the beginning of the season. There was no way this season was gonna go down any differently, other than a potential win over Cincy.

Advertisement
If you still supported Golden up untill the Clemson game...all I can't tell you is that your judgement should not be trusted.
You should sit this one out.
You should take some time and analyze that about yourself.
As far as the recruiting class is concern there zero chance it would have stayed togueter with Golden still in charge.

I supported him because he deserved some sort of respect in the long run. Guy's a good person. Took a squad in the midst of the death penalty talks and held it together. Didn't win enough games to keep people happy. Miami's a close knit team, now all they have to do is get another guy who's got the pedigree to win. Butch would be preferred.
Al was a family guy. The recruits liked him. Current members of the team LOVE him.

Last edited:

It's your ideas that make you unintelligent. Your writing isn't nearly as bad as your stunted, convoluted and infantile ideas.

It's your ideas that make you unintelligent. Your writing isn't nearly as bad as your stunted, convoluted and infantile ideas.

Ideas are merely opinions. My opinion is more positive moving-forward than yours, or most of the others on this forum. Sorry I believe Miami is talented enough to beat other ACC teams.

We all loved the Golden narrative that started with his opening presser. The results just didn't pan out. No need to go into the reasons why at this point. But, at UM, you have to have a guy that sells each game to the fans. Coker didn't try, Shannon didn't try, and Golden was the worst at it. You have to engage the fans as a coach. Fans don't care about process. They care about games. Hire a guy who can sell each and every game. We haven't had that here in forever. Shnelly used to emphasize the free whopper if you bought a ticket. Jimmy would look right in the camera and tell you playing Rice was a freaking national crusade. Erickson would, at least, try to tell us that his ridiculous stocked talented teams could lose if you didn't show up. Butch wasn't as good at it (because he had no talent until year 4) but he sold this city that the win against UCLA was going to happen after the Syracuse debacle. There is a certain part of being a HC that has nothing to do with X's and O's. You have an obligation to the fan base. Al was a zero in this regard. Binders don't sell tickets. A certain amount of bravado does. We need bravado.

Advertisement
Back