My stance on offering prospects.

Offer all you can and dump the ones you don't want. It looks like FSU and Bama offer most of the kids we do plus a couple hundred others. If schools are lving off our eval, and it looks that way, then offer a ton of fakes for them to chase also. No matter what school, resources are limited and making competition waste theirs is a good thing. ***** this upright stuff. Back in the day before sticker schola limits, Bear use to give kids ships just to keep other schools from getting them, with no intention of ever playing them. There appears to have been a concerted effort to keep all the decent DTs away from us for years. Bowden said that was the way to beat Miami -- take all the DTs away from them. Without those DTs, our skill position recruiting is meaningless. UF has taken so many the last few years they have no offensive linemen. No DTs, sub par QBs and coaching have been the hammer blows that have beaten us down.

Advertisement
I remember Mack brown saying the biggest reason his program had digressed was because he had offered too many players too early.They had been wrapping up recruiting before most, but too often many players were maxing out compared to their peers as juniors while others were just starting to show their potential toward the end of their senior year. Unless a player is an absolute stand above the crowd type, your are better waiting a little longer. I am sure there is a balance in a solid recruiting approach.
Coaches just like players have to learn and grown in their craft, and there is nothing that replaces experience. Al, too will learn the inner workings of South Florida. We can already see the staff will work their tail ends off, now they just have to refine their approach.

Lol...we should offer these 2015 recruits based on the evaluation of some amateur fans?! Sounds like the same formula all the big schools are using, lol! Just show up to the games.

I agree that you have to get on these kids as early as possible. That being said, is there really a problem if we start throwing around offers on junior day this weekend?

I agree that you have to get on these kids as early as possible. That being said, is there really a problem if we start throwing around offers on junior day this weekend?

Yes, its a perceived problem. And not just at Miami, but everywhere else. Schools like Texas have ruined recruiting for everyone else really. Now you have coaches offering kids in 7th and 8th grade to get an early jump when traditionally kids got offered late in their junior years unless they were very, very elite. So if coaches hold to that idea its seen as 'disrespectful' by kids who have been getting 'love' since 8th grade, its stupid.

So as a coach it puts you in a tough position. It's **** near impossible to project an 18 yr. old to the next level much less a 14 or 15 yr. old. So you run the risk of offering a guy who may be maxed out and not get any better. Then his senior year comes around and you're no longer interested and then what? Sure you can cool on him but after a while it may come back to bite you in the *** as far as relationships go. You can decide to wait for more info. but then you're behind the game. It's lose-lose for coaches.

Advertisement

IMO, it depends on the type of prospect. A kid like cronkrite should've had an offer as soon as his midseason junior film came out. If we offer cronk at junior I would have a little bit of a problem with it. Should've offered earlier but what is done is done. We offered Corey Holmes at junior day last year iirc.

The importance of getting on talented kids early cannot be overstated.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO, it depends on the type of prospect. A kid like cronkrite should've had an offer as soon as his midseason junior film came out. If we offer cronk at junior I would have a little bit of a problem with it. Should've offered earlier but what is done is done. We offered Corey Holmes at junior day last year iirc.

Especially when they are as versatile as cronkite

You're right. But is January of your junior year really late? Traditionally, offers would have come out to top prospects this past September at the earliest. Certain schools and recruiting websites have ruined recruiting. The need for constant news have made recruiting earlier and earlier. At worst Miami is behind other schools by 2-3 months which shouldn't be a big deal.

I know it will be a big deal just because of the direction recruiting has gone in, but it's hard for me to get on any staff for that. The same has happened at UF and I respond with a huge shrug.

Advertisement
I remember Mack brown saying the biggest reason his program had digressed was because he had offered too many players too early.They had been wrapping up recruiting before most, but too often many players were maxing out compared to their peers as juniors while others were just starting to show their potential toward the end of their senior year. Unless a player is an absolute stand above the crowd type, your are better waiting a little longer. I am sure there is a balance in a solid recruiting approach.
Coaches just like players have to learn and grown in their craft, and there is nothing that replaces experience. Al, too will learn the inner workings of South Florida. We can already see the staff will work their tail ends off, now they just have to refine their approach.

Texas has them lining up and even in down years is the favorite for pretty much every ballerin in the state. we don't have that luxury

You're right. But is January of your junior year really late? Traditionally, offers would have come out to top prospects this past September at the earliest. Certain schools and recruiting websites have ruined recruiting. The need for constant news have made recruiting earlier and earlier. At worst Miami is behind other schools by 2-3 months which shouldn't be a big deal.

I know it will be a big deal just because of the direction recruiting has gone in, but it's hard for me to get on any staff for that. The same has happened at UF and I respond with a huge shrug.

I know and we both know recruiting has vastly changed. That's why my comments were like that. 12 months to recruit cronkrite should be more than enough. But if other kids of his level are getting Miami offers already, why shouldn't he?

like you people are sick ? this exaclty why we cant get the prospect we want , to guys just bash people ..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back