My Stance on Mario

supacane

Senior
I was gonna post this even before Clemson but decided against it as i knew it was only gonna ignite more intense arguments on a 2 game losing streak. Winning v Clemson didnt change it, nor would it have if we lost.

When Mario came in i decided i was gonna allow man to bring in 3 full recruiting classes. So that means when '23 class are 3rd year players. That means im gonna live through asking myself almost once a day, why we didn't kneel the ball v GT, and what tf is up with these random timeouts when it seems we have the upper hand. Playing for overtime when we have Clemson on the ropes. I decided i will live through these things. I figured Manny, Shannon and Golden were not up to the challenge at various points and they never would be. I hear fans talk about some of the mind boggling things Butch did that made fans get on his bum on gameday. Mario Cristobal seems to be almost solely driven by analytics and it seems that leads to some of the questionable game day decisions. I have to not only live with that but expect it. Its part of our team now, its gonna happen.

Lincoln Riley and Kiffin are probably the two most genius coaches and anytime they get into meaningful games on the national stage, they dont even show up. Riley get punked by bro style king Wittingham at Utah back to back and Kiffin getting put his place by one of Saban's worse teams.

Magic coaching not gonna fix us and i like the coordinators we have, even the assistant coaches.

Unless recruiting totally implodes or we just start getting smoke Al Golden and Manny style. Ima strap in. The older i get the more i put things into perspective and see the value of hindsight.

No one game or one event gonna change my stance on that. I see things i like and things i dont like. I like the overall direction.

Advertisement
I was gonna post this even before Clemson but decided against it as i knew it was only gonna ignite more intense arguments on a 2 game losing streak. Winning v Clemson didnt change it, nor would it have if we lost.

When Mario came in i decided i was gonna allow man to bring in 3 full recruiting classes. So that means when '23 class are 3rd year players. That means im gonna live through asking myself almost once a day, why we didn't kneel the ball v GT, and what tf is up with these random timeouts when it seems we have the upper hand. Playing for overtime when we have Clemson on the ropes. I decided i will live through these things. I figured Manny, Shannon and Golden were not up to the challenge at various points and they never would be. I hear fans talk about some of the mind boggling things Butch did that made fans get on his bum on gameday. Mario Cristobal seems to be almost solely driven by analytics and it seems that leads to some of the questionable game day decisions. I have to not only live with that but expect it. Its part of our team now, its gonna happen.

Lincoln Riley and Kiffin are probably the two most genius coaches and anytime they get into meaningful games on the national stage, they dont even show up. Riley get punked by bro style king Wittingham at Utah back to back and Kiffin getting put his place by one of Saban's worse teams.

Magic coaching not gonna fix us and i like the coordinators we have, even the assistant coaches.

Unless recruiting totally implodes or we just start getting smoke Al Golden and Manny style. Ima strap in. The older i get the more i put things into perspective and see the value of hindsight.

No one game or one event gonna change my stance on that. I see things i like and things i dont like. I like the overall direction.
Don't go posting rational, logical things here...we'll have none of that!

and quite frankly, what are we gonna do, stop being fans, then you were never a fan to begin with. I'm a third-generation Miami Hurricane fan...I'm not gonna stop now.

The gameday stuff I can live with as long as we’re the top team talent-wise in the state (recruiting, which eventually leads to roster), and top 10 nationally. Even a gameday corch like Mario will win 9+ games if we have a top 10 roster in college football.

We’re currently a clear-cut third in the state (recruiting), and trending outside the top 12-13 nationally. 20th!!! in average rating per recruit.

Inexcusable on that front. If it’s a money issue, fix it. That’s my main gripe.

You’ve got 2 months Mario. Way too many JAGS in this class that need to be sent elsewhere, but if you can’t bring in better talent (which uhh…was why he was brought to Miami in the first place…), then you better hope these kids are developed.

Last edited:

Looking at things from a macro (big picture) perspective invokes different emotions. Nit picking intimate details leaves out good and bad.

Are there things Mario can improve upon? Of course. We all see it. I think he knows it as well. No one will out work him. No one has the passion and drive he has to see Miami succeed.

It’s obvious this years team is different. There’s no quit and Mario’s culture seems to be taking hold. His biggest asset is his recruiting prowess. If he can continue to bring in “his guys”, success on the field will follow.

I’ve said many times NO coach could overcome 20 years of mediocrity in less than 2 years. There are signs Mario is on the right track. He now has the financial backing necessary to compete with the big dogs. There are some that have said if Mario can’t get it down, no one can. Truer words were never spoken.

Advertisement
"Playing for overtime when we have Clemson on the ropes." @supacane

With one of the best place kickers in all of college football warming up on the sidelines.

Signed,

Peruche

Emory throwing into an 8 man zone is asking for an INT. Clemson has been dogsh!t bad in the red zone and kicking field goals so you don't risk a turnover when you can put the kid in scoring position and your D has been stopping Clemson. The End!

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Curious to see the narrative on Southern Cal after Riley's third class, as well.

Dude shot out the cannon with his office, Williams and reeling in Addison and others out of the portal.

A year and a half in he's lost to Utah three times as his team lacks toughness—and Notre Dame even blew them out two weeks ago, while Arizona took them to three overtimes and Colorado almost came back from being down 41-14.

Washington, Oregon and UCLA look. Dude could very easily end this season 7-5 at worst and 8-4 at best—after he got sucked off for 11-3 last year.

His "genius" won't bode well in the Big Ten if he doesn't take playing defense seriously (a la Pete Carroll) and doesn't put a precedent on a built-tough running game.

Advertisement
The gameday stuff I can live with as long as we’re the top team talent-wise in the state (recruiting, which eventually leads to roster), and top 10 nationally. Even a gameday corch like Mario will win 9+ games if we have a top 10 roster in college football.

We’re currently a clear-cut third in the state (recruiting), and trending outside the top 12-13 nationally. 20th!!! in average rating per recruit.

You’ve got 2 months Mario. Way too many JAGS in this class that need to be sent elsewhere, but if you can’t bring in better talent (which uhh…was why he was brought to Miami in the first place…), then you better hope these kids are developed.
Umm... you're seeing the development right before your eyes! And the 2 month statement makes no sense with the portal in play! Unless you mean strictly recruiting which also should include the portal cuz Yu must recruit them as well!

You say all this and fail to recognize what just happened on the field against a Clemson team that's been stacking talent for a decade.

It's irrational especially considering the "JAGS" you reference are some of the same "JAGS" performing.

You do realize there was no talent gap on the field dont you? We pushed them around on both sides of the line.

Jesus Christ. Every day you regurgitate the same crap.

DT recruiting? Yes needs to be better but turns out Deen and Gore aren't the piles if crap you complained about all offseason.

I’m in full agreement SC

You don’t have to agree with every single minute detail of a leader, but the overall direction is undeniable.

We simply need to keep moving forward and not be afraid to fight the battle regardless of opposition.

We’ve been adrift aimlessly for so long that turning the ship around and sailing upstream ( thanks ACC fück tàrds ) is not for the soft shouldered nor faint of heart.

Nothing ESPIN / NCAA / SEC / ACC / America fears more than a Miami Hurricanes team with wind in its sails poised to straight smash.

It’ll take time, courage, and commitment. We have these traits in spades.

Advertisement
Umm... you're seeing the development right before your eyes! And the 2 month statement makes no sense with the portal in play! Unless you mean strictly recruiting which also should include the portal cuz Yu must recruit them as well!
I don’t care how slurper you want to get, There is ZERO excuse for Mario Cristobal to have a definitively worse class than Mike Norvell and Billy Napier. None. Zero. Zilch.

Again, we are 20th in average recruit and with a class currently filled with 24 kids compared to schools “below us” like Texas (17), they’re almost assuredly going to pass us. The average recruit ranking is what I pay attention to the most.

You say we’re seeing the development in front of our eyes…you cannot be blindsided by recency bias. If we had lost to Clemson, the tune would be veryyyy different on here. Imagine if Guidry and Dawson had BETTER PLAYERS AND BETTER TALENT to work with. You don’t think we’d be a top 10 program sooner rather than later?

Luckily, WR has talent coming in. CB? Nah. DT? Nah. Linebacker? People’s feathers will be ruffled so I’ll stay out of that. QB? Pfft. We need more Bains and Mauigoa’s, and less Russell’s and Thomas’s and Dylan Days.

You mentioned portal. Norvell eats our lunch in the portal, heck he eats everyone’s. Ok…what’s the best way to grab elite portal talent? Money. Have we landed a stud, top transfer from the portal that wasn’t an OL? Deen was 95th, Kiko was 45th…our OL that won us the game on Saturday, we paid for those dudes and in turn, it’s brought us two wins imo (A&M as well). Kiko was a package deal, Deen has been very good but not elite.

We need elite talent ready to contribute. We’re not going to outbid everyone in the portal, it’s just not going to happen. You need to recruit high school better than **** near everyone, especially in-state. You’ll never convince me that being 3rd in the state is fine. That’s beta ****.

I see three, maybe four players in this class that can impact this roster next season. We need more. We have everything to sell right now, even winning on the field.

Last edited:

I was gonna start a thread after the December NSD, just to be fair to the 95% final class situation, and I'll probably still refresh the topic then, but a worry of mine isn't the final Class ranking, because I think Mario will always have a strong overall class on paper. My worry on this rebuild of top talent is, how many from this '24 class are 1st year difference makers??? Right now, I'm not seeing anyone other than Riley & maybe one of the top WR's that could come in as a FR and play meaningful minutes and even raise our eyebrows. Our DE's are top kids, but all too light to be ready year 1. Maybe the TE because he's an overall football kid that might make an impact on ST's. Maybe it's a dumb angle of mine and all will be fine, but I'd love to have 4-5 kids that are going to come in like the '23 class and make this team better immediately. (Francis, Bain, Fletcher, Emory) 2nd Tier (Wayne, Riley Williams). Plenty more talent in the '23 class, just going off who's played the most and made the biggest contributions this year.... Mario's gotta close with some big splashes, and as always several key Portal additions...

You say all this and fail to recognize what just happened on the field against a Clemson team that's been stacking talent for a decade.

It's irrational especially considering the "JAGS" you reference are some of the same "JAGS" performing.

You do realize there was no talent gap on the field dont you? We pushed them around on both sides of the line.

Jesus Christ. Every day you regurgitate the same crap.

DT recruiting? Yes needs to be better but turns out Deen and Gore aren't the piles if crap you complained about all offseason.
Sorry to break it to you, but you’re referred to as a slurper joke on this board. Carry on.

Advertisement
Mario is doing 3 important things already

1. building the trenches
2. Adding more talent and real depth
3. Building a mentality and strong and competitive culture

All of which will lead us to being a good to great team every year (9-10 wins a year).

His gameday coaching is always going to be frustrating but as long as he learns from it and doesn’t make GT type mistakes anymore we should be ok

In order to reach elite program level, we need more elite talent and smarter players

I don’t care how slurper you want to get, There is ZERO excuse for Mario Cristobal to have a definitively worse class than Mike Norvell and Billy Napier. None. Zero. Zilch.

Again, we are 20th in average recruit and with a class currently filled with 24 kids compared to schools “below us” like Texas (17), they’re almost assuredly going to pass us. The average recruit ranking is what I pay attention to the most.

You say we’re seeing the development in front of our eyes…you cannot be blindsided by recency bias. If we had lost to Clemson, the tune would be veryyyy different on here. Imagine if Guidry and Dawson had BETTER PLAYERS AND BETTER TALENT to work with. You don’t think we’d be a top 10 program sooner rather than later?

That development you talk about…how many young guys are playing? Bain and Francis are generational, Fletcher played some…who else? Ray Ray on punts? Wayne sparingly because of injuries? It’s mostly portal guys and upperclassmen we already knew had talent, but we’re in a bad scheme last year.

Luckily, WR has talent coming in. CB? Nah. DT? Nah. Linebacker? People’s feathers will be ruffled so I’ll stay out of that. QB? Pfft. We need more Bains and Mauigoa’s, and less Russell’s and Thomas’s and Dylan Days.

You mentioned portal. Norvell eats our lunch in the portal, heck he eats everyone’s. Ok…what’s the best way to grab elite portal talent? Money. Have we landed a stud, top transfer from the portal that wasn’t an OL? Deen was 95th, Kiko was 45th…our OL that won us the game on Saturday, we paid for those dudes and in turn, it’s brought us two wins imo (A&M as well). Kiko was a package deal, Deen has been very good but not elite.

We need elite talent ready to contribute. We’re not going to outbid everyone in the portal, it’s just not going to happen. You need to recruit high school better than **** near everyone, especially in-state. You’ll never convince me that being 3rd in the state is fine. That’s beta ****.
I agree and dont agree. Agree about this class, but when i banded them together with last class and then see what we do with the '25 class i will have a clearer overall picture. But this class, we should not be getting cooked like that on the trail at multiple critical positions like CB, DT and OL.

Advertisement
Back