My Manny Diaz thoughts.

@FrancisSawyer
I'm iffy on Diaz like pretty much everyone but I believe this season we will be happy to see us make plays in the backfield. I don't expect this year's d to rank highly mainly because of our corner and DB situation. I don't have the high first year expectation for Diaz. Not watching us tackle running backs 5-7 yards after the line of scrimmage will be refreshing.

Keep in mind Diaz is still relatively young, he can reach his prime down here. I just think aggressive d fits Miami athletes just fine. Doritos d was better suited for a mid major program.

I like coaches who adjust. Make changes and don't repeat the same **** over and over and expect a different result.

If we don't have the athletes that's one thing. But I never want to be at a point of position where we are getting out schemed game in game out. He's been doing this 10 years so hopefully this season he'll put it all together.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a big proponent of firing coaches who aren't doing well after 2 years. If Diaz does poorly in 2016 Richt will get 1 more year to bring in somebody good.

I'm a big proponent of firing coaches who aren't doing well after 2 years. If Diaz does poorly in 2016 Richt will get 1 more year to bring in somebody good.

I can buy that. I think that's fair but like motor said above, I don't expect our D to rank among the top because of the CB situation. What I do expect is for Diaz to make the most of what he has.

Advertisement
I recall seeing it on a chalkboard in the 1970s....

I don't care about sacks and TFLs unless they're in conjunction with turnovers and keeping points off the board and stopping long excruciating drives.

Kool will work wonders with our DL. I'm hoping he will be the element that transforms Diaz from a career journeyman DC to high-level results.

It's been shown that turnovers are a combo of luck and bad offensive play and that the defense doesn't have much of anything to do with them.

That's been shown? Where?

Advertisement
I am a recent convert to the Church of FootballHelmet, Our Savior.
And as a disciple, I will support Manny Diaz for the first 2 games of this season.
If his defense is not dominant during that stretch, I will advocate his dismissal soon thereafter.

Reading about his scheme, his successes and problems at UT, seems like its definately nore about Jimmys and Joes than Xs and Os.

And as a disciple, I will support Manny Diaz for the first 2 games of this season.
If his defense is not dominant during that stretch, I will advocate his dismissal soon thereafter.

If he is successful, he must stay for 30 years without a raise.

Advertisement

If he is successful, he must stay for 30 years without a raise.

No worries. That's already in the contract Helmet drew up.

Not really looking forward to more of this un-sound BS. (7:09)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJdQ_YzUH8A

You got the Inside Linebacker to the boundary running all the way to the field and covering who? You leave the #2 receiver (TE Herndon) wide open. You've assigned the Safety (Carter), who's like 18 yards deep, coverage responsibilities on the open TE. If he makes that tackle like he's supposed to it's still an easy first down. But asking a guy to run downhill full speed and make a tackle on a ball carrier with a two-way go, in the open field, is a recipe for disaster and it's un-sound. Carter misses and it's off to the races.

If this is the type of roll-the-dice nonsense that he's gonna pull on the regular then spread teams are going to eat our lunch. If there's one thing I hate as a DC, it's guys who are aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive, leaving themselves un-sound. I hate an un-sound defense.

There's really no reason a Miami team should be running extravagant fire-zone blitzes. Our best defenses ran nothing but Quarters coverage all day with a couple blitzes mixed in (with man coverage behind it). We have better players than everybody else. (or we should) There's no reason to get fancy.

Be aggressive with your principles. (one-gap DL, press coverage from CB's, match coverage from LB's, etc)

And I still see our LB's spot dropping and starring at the QB.

You got the Inside Linebacker to the boundary running all the way to the field and covering who? You leave the #2 receiver (TE Herndon) wide open. You've assigned the Safety (Carter), who's like 18 yards deep, coverage responsibilities on the open TE. If he makes that tackle like he's supposed to it's still an easy first down. But asking a guy to run downhill full speed and make a tackle on a ball carrier with a two-way go, in the open field, is a recipe for disaster and it's un-sound. Carter misses and it's off to the races.

If this is the type of roll-the-dice nonsense that he's gonna pull on the regular then spread teams are going to eat our lunch. If there's one thing I hate as a DC, it's guys who are aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive, leaving themselves un-sound. I hate an un-sound defense.

There's really no reason a Miami team should be running extravagant fire-zone blitzes. Our best defenses ran nothing but Quarters coverage all day with a couple blitzes mixed in (with man coverage behind it). We have better players than everybody else. (or we should) There's no reason to get fancy.

Be aggressive with your principles. (one-gap DL, press coverage from CB's, match coverage from LB's, etc)

Watch the Mississippi State/Arkansas game from last season. Arkansas only got acquainted with the forward pass last season, and all that same **** was wide open all day.

That's why I've been saying sack and TFL numbers are meaningless if you're getting annihilated in between the negative yardage plays. If you're getting those negative yardage plays by constantly leaving yourself exposed to everything else you're going to get killed.

Diaz's only hope is that Kool can get our DL playing like a bunch of crazed dogs and that the front 4 can consistently whip the guys in front of them. Otherwise, you'll see that Mississippi State/Arkansas abortion every time we face a remotely competent passing team. Fedora will have his way with Diaz if Kool can't the DL firing.

Advertisement

Watch the Mississippi State/Arkansas game from last season. Arkansas only got acquainted with the forward pass last season, and all that same **** was wide open all day.

That's why I've been saying sack and TFL numbers are meaningless if you're getting annihilated in between the negative yardage plays. If you're getting those negative yardage plays by constantly leaving yourself exposed to everything else you're going to get killed.

Diaz's only hope is that Kool can get our DL playing like a bunch of crazed dogs and that the front 4 can consistently whip the guys in front of them. Otherwise, you'll see that Mississippi State/Arkansas abortion every time we face a remotely competent passing team. Fedora will have his way with Diaz if Kool can't the DL firing.

Agreed. If I'm Paranos, I'm on the phone with Kool right now talking X's and O's strategy so we can avoid this.

Advertisement
Back