2. 2B Vilar (Left Handed Hitter) .291 Batting Average Last Year
3. SS Zamora (Right Handed Hitter) .296 Batting Average Last Year
4. C Del Castillo (Left Handed Hitter) .331 Batting Average Last Year
5. 3B Gil (Right Handed Hitter) .318 Batting Average Last Year
6. DH Gates (Left Handed Hitter) .340 Batting Average Last Year
7. RF Rivera (Right Handed Hitter) .290 Batting Average Last Year
8. 1B Toral (Left Handed Hitter) .293 Batting Average Last Year
9. LF Jenkins (Right Handed Hitter) .268 Batting Average Last Year

I like the alternating lefty-righty lineup whenever possible. Not sure if Toral and Gil will duplicate their batting averages from last season, but they should hit some homers.

Advertisement
1. CF Lala (Left Handed Hitter) .276 Batting Average Last Year
2. 2B Vilar (Left Handed Hitter) .291 Batting Average Last Year
3. SS Zamora (Right Handed Hitter) .296 Batting Average Last Year
4. C Del Castillo (Left Handed Hitter) .331 Batting Average Last Year
5. 3B Gil (Right Handed Hitter) .318 Batting Average Last Year
6. DH Gates (Left Handed Hitter) .340 Batting Average Last Year
7. RF Rivera (Right Handed Hitter) .290 Batting Average Last Year
8. 1B Toral (Left Handed Hitter) .293 Batting Average Last Year
9. LF Jenkins (Right Handed Hitter) .268 Batting Average Last Year

I like the alternating lefty-righty lineup whenever possible. Not sure if Toral and Gil will duplicate their batting averages from last season, but they should hit some homers.

Those 9 are very possible as a typical lineup (and what a pleasant change from 2 - 3 years ago). However, I suspect Del Castillo may hit 3rd since he is such a good contact hitter and you then get him more ABs late in games as well.

Advertisement
Seems about right initially. I might bat Toral a spot or two higher.

I’m hopeful that Thomas will be able to supplant Rivera or Jenkins at some point in the season, and platoon with Del between the third outfield spot and catcher.

Seems about right initially. I might bat Toral a spot or two higher.

I’m hopeful that Thomas will be able to supplant Rivera or Jenkins at some point in the season, and platoon with Del between the third outfield spot and catcher.
Yeah I could see Thomas supplant Jenkins, if Thomas is as good of a hitter as people are saying. He could definitely play some RF and catcher.

Would be ecstatic if Vilar gets moved down to bottom of the order. He isn't a 2 hole hitter and I would love to have his plate discipline in bottom half before turning it over. Lineup is completely stacked

Advertisement
official prediction for Friday night's game against Buttgers

LF Lala
2B Vilar
SS Zamora
C Del
3B Gil
DH Gates
1B Toral
RF Rivera
CF Jenkins

RHP McMahon

Would be ecstatic if Vilar gets moved down to bottom of the order. He isn't a 2 hole hitter and I would love to have his plate discipline in bottom half before turning it over. Lineup is completely stacked
I agree. However, I think the choice right now in the 2 hole is between Jenkins and Vilar...and at this point, I trust Vilar more in that spot...but the confidence isn't super-high. I hope he's gotten better, or someone else is able to take over that 2 spot.

official prediction for Friday night's game against Buttgers

LF Lala
2B Vilar
SS Zamora
C Del
3B Gil
DH Gates
1B Toral
RF Rivera
CF Jenkins

RHP McMahon
I pretty much agree with this too. I might flip Rivera/Jenkins at the bottom, but I don't think it matters that much.

I agree. However, I think the choice right now in the 2 hole is between Jenkins and Vilar...and at this point, I trust Vilar more in that spot...but the confidence isn't super-high. I hope he's gotten better, or someone else is able to take over that 2 spot.

I pretty much agree with this too. I might flip Rivera/Jenkins at the bottom, but I don't think it matters that much.

How are either one of those guys our 2 hole hitter? Has the game changed where your best hitter/best athlete is your 2 hole hitter? I want Zamora in the 2 hole 100% anyone else is not being utilized properly.

How are either one of those guys our 2 hole hitter? Has the game changed where your best hitter/best athlete is your 2 hole hitter? I want Zamora in the 2 hole 100% anyone else is not being utilized properly.
In my mind, I think it's more about Zamora's extra power he's found pulling him to the 3 hole of the lineup than it is anything. If Lala/Vilar can get on ahead of Zamora and Freddy sends one out - there's 3 runs instead of 2 had Freddy hit a 2-run shot with just Lala on board.

Zamora's power potential in the 3 hole makes the 2 hole a discussion between Vilar/Jenkins/someone else to set the table for Zamora.

Maybe someone else has metrics to back that up or to strike that down, but that's just how I see it.

Advertisement
In my mind, I think it's more about Zamora's extra power he's found pulling him to the 3 hole of the lineup than it is anything. If Lala/Vilar can get on ahead of Zamora and Freddy sends one out - there's 3 runs instead of 2 had Freddy hit a 2-run shot with just Lala on board.

Zamora's power potential in the 3 hole makes the 2 hole a discussion between Vilar/Jenkins/someone else to set the table for Zamora.

Maybe someone else has metrics to back that up or to strike that down, but that's just how I see it.
My issue with Vilar last year was the strikeouts with runners on. Seemed like every time LaLa got on as the lead off man. Vilar was an automatic out. Hopefully that changes this year.

Those 9 are very possible as a typical lineup (and what a pleasant change from 2 - 3 years ago). However, I suspect Del Castillo may hit 3rd since he is such a good contact hitter and you then get him more ABs late in games as well.
Exactly. Del Castillo 3rd, then I'd flip flop Gil and Toral at 4/5 depending on whose hitting better at the time. This way can't pitch around both Gil and Toral. Toral has too much power to bat 8th and get pitched around all season.

Didn't have plate discipline. At least not consistently. Strikes out way too much for a contact hitter. Hopefully that's much improved in his Sophomore year.

I'd like to see him and all the right handed batters (except maybe Gil) hit the ball more to right field. Especially with 2 strikes. Reason being you sit longer on an outside pitch (a la let the ball get deep). This way he cuts down on strikeouts because he's out in front on curveballs nearly every time. Let the 2 strike pitch get deep. Hitting to right field (for a righty) keeps the front shoulder closed. Worse case is fastball get hit to right field and a curveball gets pulled instead of a strikeout.

Also, you want to hit the ball to the right side with runners in scoring position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Didn't have plate discipline. At least not consistently. Strikes out way too much for a contact hitter. Hopefully that's much improved in his Sophomore year.

I'd like to see him and all the right handed batters (except maybe Gil) hit the ball more to right field. Especially with 2 strikes. Reason being you sit longer on an outside pitch (a la let the ball get deep). This way he cuts down on strikeouts because he's out in front on curveballs nearly every time. Let the 2 strike pitch get deep. Hitting to right field (for a righty) keeps the front shoulder closed. Worse case is fastball get hit to right field and a curveball gets pulled instead of a strikeout.

Also, you want to hit the ball to the right side with runners in scoring position.
You are absolutely right that is why I want him moved down as well. You are also spot on in regards to his strikeouts. You can't strike out like that as a 2 hole hitter. Especially with how good of a lead off man LaLa is. His bat speed is very very slow. Hopefully he has worked on that this offseason. Instead of me saying plate discipline I should have said he sees a ton of pitches a game.

Lala's slow bat speed and Vilar's weak swings all were due to strength issues. I really hope both have gained a few pounds and gotten stronger in the weight room.

I know Vilar's issues really showed, but let's face it - as great of a leadoff man as Lala is, there were swings last year where you could tell he was throwing his whole body into it because he wasn't strong enough. Lost balance and didn't have control of the barrel. I love Lala as a player, but I hope he got stronger.

From what I could tell, Lala needed more overall strength, but Vilar's lower half was fine. Vilar just needed help with his core/upper body to get better.

Lala's slow bat speed and Vilar's weak swings all were due to strength issues. I really hope both have gained a few pounds and gotten stronger in the weight room.

I know Vilar's issues really showed, but let's face it - as great of a leadoff man as Lala is, there were swings last year where you could tell he was throwing his whole body into it because he wasn't strong enough. Lost balance and didn't have control of the barrel. I love Lala as a player, but I hope he got stronger.

From what I could tell, Lala needed more overall strength, but Vilar's lower half was fine. Vilar just needed help with his core/upper body to get better.
Vilar gets out on front on curveballs/sliders especially with 2 strikes. That's where he strikes out a lot. I would love to see him hit the ball to right center. That should be his sweet spot. See tje ball longer and keep the front shoulder closed.

Vilar gets out on front on curveballs/sliders especially with 2 strikes. That's where he strikes out a lot. I would love to see him hit the ball to right center. That should be his sweet spot. See tje ball longer and keep the front shoulder closed.
I agree with all of that. I just think in addition to technique, that being a little stronger will help give Vilar the confidence to stay back on those pitches, let them into the zone later and go with them to right-center.

Advertisement
Back