My Greatest Fear when it comes to Richt (besides the Rosier situation)

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
I don't normally start threads but I am still ****ed about this loss so F it here is my second thread in the last 24hrs.

What scares me about Richt is his lack of awareness as it pertains to our roster. I just cant get my mind around how in Gods name he saw our OL, our DTs behind Willis, our CB depth and lack of experience in the Spring and didn't say to himself, "I need to scour the waiver wire and JUCO ranks and find some talent". Just to break it down..

Offensive Line - We have one guy on this line who proved he semi-belongs after that first game. (not including the guys we haven't seen. Reed, Scaife and Campbell) ONE. And that is St Louis. 3 of our starters shouldn't be here. (Jones, Mahoney, Gauthier). Not one..THREE! We went and got Boulware who graded out as an 83% on the PFF this week. Good move. But Richt had to have known that this OL wasn't going to cut it after the Spring. Why not send out Baez and tell him don't come back until you have an OT who can play for me NOW. Boulware isn't enough!

Defensive Tackle - Lord have mercy. This will be short. Bethel isn't a starter. Ford isn't ready. Tito isn't a starter. Nesta and Miller are too young. We have ONE guy. ONE. The War Daddy. I was wrong. I said that Willis would be enough but I didn't think Bethel would spend half the game on his back! You know what Butch did at FIU? Went and got two JUCO DTs (one of them was Teir Tart Spencer who was the #5 JUCO prospect in the country) More on this later but why didn't Richt not see we needed help??? Willis is literally going to be a one man show this year. Can he hold up physically?

CB - For God sakes. I wanted to give Dean every chance but god bless him he shouldn't be here. I was a fan too. Fell for the measurements. Thank God for Bandy and if the rumor is true that when he went out it totally killed Diaz gameplan and everything he wanted to do then fine but why the **** are we depending on 3 Tr-Fr CBs anyway? Adrian Colberts don't come around often but ****...RICHT KNEW that all we had was Bandy and still didn't do anything.

Now lets have some fun for those who are going to say I am being unrealistic regarding bringing JUCO/Prep guys and that the big boys don't build rosters around this..Well..I looked it up..

UGA? Got TWO JUCO DTs this last class.
Bama? Oh you thought they were going into the season with Jobe and Surtain Jr as starters? NO SIR! Went and got Savion Smith from JUCO. You remember him right? #1 CB in the land a few years ago and signed with LSU before going JUCO.

In fact the top SECs team all went and got JUCO OL and DTs. Saban makes his bones recruiting JUCO and Prep kids. You know who else did? Butch Davis. I wont bore you with how many JUCO/Prep kids were on that 2001 title team. Jimmy Johnson believed in it too. Where would our 88-89 DL be without Tez Kennedy at DT? Roster Management! Being aware of where you need help and going out there to find it.

My post is getting long but its just frustrating to see. We see it but why doesn't Richt? Ego? Values? I don't know but god bless our AD for giving us an easy schedule this year and it will masked these issues. But of course when we play Clemson and the bowl game against a top tier opponent..it will be LSU all over again and maybe worse.

Advertisement
Richt apparently is too big of a homer to see what's happening in front of his eyes. We basically have DBC coaching us.

Richt is too much in love with the Golden leftovers because they're seniors and provide "Veteran leadership." He's too loyal and sentimental and it's a huge fault of his coaching strategy.

OP, I gotz some news four you. Miami won't be playing Clem's son this year ... absent a miracle turnaround. This team es no bueno.

If we lose to any team on this crappy a$$ schedule not named VT (and that should even be a Win) then we are in a lot more trouble then I thought. Because we are more talented then everyone else left we play FSU included.

CB - For God sakes. I wanted to give Dean every chance but god bless him he shouldn't be here. I was a fan too. Fell for the measurements. Thank God for Bandy and if the rumor is true that when he went out it totally killed Diaz gameplan and everything he wanted to do then fine but why the **** are we depending on 3 Tr-Fr CBs anyway? Adrian Colberts don't come around often but ****...RICHT KNEW that all we had was Bandy and still didn't do anything.

If one DB getting injured or being ejected ruins Diaz's entire defensive game plan, he should be fired before the sun goes down today.

Advertisement
I didn't read 82, but I will go back and read. I'm at work. I'm ****ed too, I was showering this morning and I'm done with Richt and Searels. 3 years and this is how my OL looks. The commentator Todd Blackledge said it best Miami's problem is their OL. #77 sucks and that's being nice. He has no business playing college football. He got rotated out like the 3rd snap.

Great stuff. Don't forget the coaches. Banda. Patke. Searels. Richt jr. For making dumb evaluations on letting guys like Knowles, Perry and Jahsorry Jones get major burn time. All these mfs don't know wtf they're doing.

So many Juco players don't pan out,(see Dean) it's a risk trying to fill out your roster with 10 players from Juco.
Especially when you are talking about positions like OT and DT. There aren't many of those guys sitting in Juco, that are ready to start on a top 10 team.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the Jucos named actually contribute in a meaningful way this year.

Let Richt start recruiting like Bill Snyder and K State though and see how many more people will want him gone.

Advertisement
I didn't read 82, but I will go back and read. I'm at work. I'm ****ed too, I was showering this morning and I'm done with Richt and Searels. 3 years and this is how my OL looks. The commentator Todd Blackledge said it best Miami's problem is their OL. #77 sucks and that's being nice. He has no business playing college football. He got rotated out like the 3rd snap.

Its long I know. I hate long posts but I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Richt actually looked at these 3 positions and said, "We are good. I am satisfied with what I see." That is scary.

I cant harp on it enough that going into that 1999 season Butch KNEW we were knocking at the door but knew we needed some horses. What did he do? Went out and got McKinnie, McDougle, and Andrew Williams. And went to get Shockey the very next year and grabbed Santonio Thomas off the waiver wire.... He knew 2000 would be our year and prepared. We needed some elite horses. 3 of these guys were first round picks and All Americans. And Andrew Williams got drafted fairly high. SThomas was a key player too.

This should have been OUR YEAR. Favorable schedule. Great talent at certain positions. If he had got his head out of his a$$ and got some OL help, LEGIT DT help and a JUCO Corner maybe things would be different. I get it..Malik is a cancer but he aint the only one who embarrassed himself on Sunday night. That's on Richt too.

So many Juco players don't pan out,(see Dean) it's a risk trying to fill out your roster with 10 players from Juco.
Especially when you are talking about positions like OT and DT. There aren't many of those guys sitting in Juco, that are ready to start on a top 10 team.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the Jucos named actually contribute in a meaningful way this year.

Let Richt start recruiting like Bill Snyder and K State though and see how many more people will want him gone.

Don't go crazy with it of course like Snyde. But since you went there..here are the KEY players on that title era (2000-2003) that were either waiver wire guys, JUCO or Prep school..

1999 (Prep) - Jerome McDougle - All American. First rounder
1999 (Prep)- Andrew Williams - 4th round pick. Solid contributor on DL.
1999 (JUCO)- Bryant McKinnie - All American. First rounder
2000 (JUCO)- Jeremy Shockey - All American. First rounder
2000 (Waiver Wire) - Santonio Thomas - Solid Contributor.

Don't tell me JUCOs and Prep guys if you have an eye for talent cant put you over the hump. Saban knows this all too well. He keeps a Bama assistant at JUCO and Prep schools trying to poach other teams kids. Stole Jobe from us and stole Savion Smith from LSU.

Picking up guys in the offseason is a crap shoot no matter how you shake it. For every player mentioned above I can name you double that in guys that did not pan out.

The issue here is that until Miami coaches change the culture around, we will continue to lose players not ready for the NFL. McIntosh and Norton should still be here. Up the road in Clemson you have the entire DL coming back when all of them would have been drafted way ahead of our two guys. Clemson has a winning culture in place, we do not. That is what has to change. Grabbing guys off the waiver wire is not how you build championship teams. You build them by proper high school evaluations and then developing that talent. That is a winning culture.

Advertisement
Picking up guys in the offseason is a crap shoot no matter how you shake it. For every player mentioned above I can name you double that in guys that did not pan out.

The issue here is that until Miami coaches change the culture around, we will continue to lose players not ready for the NFL. McIntosh and Norton should still be here. Up the road in Clemson you have the entire DL coming back when all of them would have been drafted way ahead of our two guys. Clemson has a winning culture in place, we do not. That is what has to change. Grabbing guys off the waiver wire is not how you build championship teams. You build them by proper high school evaluations and then developing that talent. That is a winning culture.

Now here is where I definitely disagree. NOTHING Richt can do about guys leaving. UM guys have been leaving early since forever even when most fans thought they shouldn't. This aint the SEC and what Clemson was able to do is the exception not the rule. That never happens. You cant put a gun to Norton and McIntoshs head and make them stay. They both knew if they stayed we could have been a super elite D and they still left. What else could he have done?

Waiver wire grabs are definitely how you can speed up the process of building a championship team. Terrence Cody was a JUCO kid and helped Bama win the title. We were VERY close to getting him too. You don't think if we could use a Cody right now on this team?

Again, its eye for talent. Saban goes Prep and JUCO. Picks the right guys. Urban Meyer too when he got Kendall Sheffield from Blinn last year. Richt got the wrong CB from there because we ended up with Dean instead. Smh.

Now here is where I definitely disagree. NOTHING Richt can do about guys leaving. UM guys have been leaving early since forever even when most fans thought they shouldn't. This aint the SEC and what Clemson was able to do is the exception not the rule. That never happens. You cant put a gun to Norton and McIntoshs head and make them stay. They both knew if they stayed we could have been a super elite D and they still left. What else could he have done?

Waiver wire grabs are definitely how you can speed up the process of building a championship team. Terrence Cody was a JUCO kid and helped Bama win the title. We were VERY close to getting him too. You don't think if we could use a Cody right now on this team?

Again, its eye for talent. Saban goes Prep and JUCO. Picks the right guys. Urban Meyer too when he got Kendall Sheffield from Blinn last year. Richt got the wrong CB from there because we ended up with Dean instead. Smh.

You can definitely fill a couple spots a year with a JUCO or transfer. Our 3rd best DL at this point is a transfer. My point is we need to get to a situation where off season pickups are a luxury and not a way to find someone to fill in the 2 deep. Bama also gets their Juniors to stick around. Why is that? Some say they get plenty of money to stick around. That may be. But in general the culture there is you stay and play 4 years. It is engrained in them and now Clemson has become that way. No reason we cannot get our players to buy into that. We need players like Ed Reed who would rather win a championship then cash in. Maybe that is no longer possible. If so Miami will continue to be outside the top 5 looking in.

Advertisement
Its long I know. I hate long posts but I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Richt actually looked at these 3 positions and said, "We are good. I am satisfied with what I see." That is scary.

I cant harp on it enough that going into that 1999 season Butch KNEW we were knocking at the door but knew we needed some horses. What did he do? Went out and got McKinnie, McDougle, and Andrew Williams. And went to get Shockey the very next year and grabbed Santonio Thomas off the waiver wire.... He knew 2000 would be our year and prepared. We needed some elite horses. 3 of these guys were first round picks and All Americans. And Andrew Williams got drafted fairly high. SThomas was a key player too.

This should have been OUR YEAR. Favorable schedule. Great talent at certain positions. If he had got his head out of his a$$ and got some OL help, LEGIT DT help and a JUCO Corner maybe things would be different. I get it..Malik is a cancer but he aint the only one who embarrassed himself on Sunday night. That's on Richt too.
Beyond scary especially having months to rectify.

If you were either of those two JUCO DTs or Savion Smith would you chose Miami or any other team over the two teams that played an OT classic in the NC last season? No, you wouldn't.

You're also assuming Richt and staff didn't look at any JUCO players. I doubt there is an ounce of truth to this.

Dean was a transfer, by the way. One of the highest rated CBs in the JUCO ranks.

Advertisement
Back