My class grades and thoughts (long!)

i don’t get it

he needs a redshirt. Period

he will be better after a redshirt. And of course I would rather it have been last year.
You apparently don't get it. You want to redshirt a player in an area of a shortage of bodies. I agree he could use a redshirt but that year was last year.

Advertisement
You apparently don't get it. You want to redshirt a player in an area of a shortage of bodies. I agree he could use a redshirt but that year was last year.

no you don’t get it

i’m saying someone should be brought in to play over him

him getting a little better (the most likely outcome) is still not good enough

Im curious of why you think he needs a red-shirt now? He needed it last year for sure and we all saw why, but with the experience of knowing what doesnt work, and also gaining more weight. Why do you think hes not ready to compete now? What makes him not able to make that step forward of being a better OT and stating or at minimum being a rotational player.

i mean if there’s no other option then he can’t redshirt obviously. The point being there should be other options brought in before him

but i believe he was a nice long-term athletic tackle prospect whose best power 5 football was year 3 and more than likey in year 4

he was one of the worst LT in all of college football. obviously he had an excuse. I didn’t mind taking him in that class. And i don’t mind anyone thinking he will be a fine starting LT at
some point in his career. But i certainly can’t say i’ve seen anything to lead me to think it’s a guarantee...and I would be suprised if he takes any step past average this year. Our goal is ‘t average right?

Advertisement
i mean if there’s no other option then he can’t redshirt obviously. The point being there should be other options brought in before him

but i believe he was a nice long-term athletic tackle prospect whose best power 5 football was year 3 and more than likey in year 4

he was one of the worst LT in all of college football. obviously he had an excuse. I didn’t mind taking him in that class. And i don’t mind anyone thinking he will be a fine starting LT at
some point in his career. But i certainly can’t say i’ve seen anything to lead me to think it’s a guarantee...and I would be suprised if he takes any step past average this year. Our goal is ‘t average right?

No its not we want good-great OL play especially at LT. but he should be able to compete and if he gets beat then yes red shirt but i wouldn't sleep on the kid just yet. i know the horrors of last year with him so i understand the hesitation.

no you don’t get it

i’m saying someone should be brought in to play over him

him getting a little better (the most likely outcome) is still not good enough

Redshirting your sophomore year has been rough mentally for players in the past. With Zion starting all of 2019, do you think that might be a tough blow for him and his redshirting could backfire? I’m not saying he doesn’t need it... just that his time to redshirt effectively might have passed

Redshirting your sophomore year has been rough mentally for players in the past. With Zion starting all of 2019, do you think that might be a tough blow for him and his redshirting could backfire? I’m not saying he doesn’t need it... just that his time to redshirt effectively might have passed

OK, I'm sick of "tough blows" to players...We are supposed to field a mediocre left tackle for his psyche's state?

And again...If he's the best option, obviously start him. I'm just saying...Zion Nelson should be fighting for his job this offseason regardless if (and we don't know) he is the best option as the long-term starting LT here.

He has some nice long-term attributes, he had every right to struggle...BUT NONE OF THAT = He is a lock to be a star here.

Advertisement
Butler LT Tommy Kennedy

Ya because I'm saying recruit Tommy Kennedy again huh?

Are you a f***ing moron yes or no?

What is so hard to understand here? UM should have been all over tackles, portal tackles, and juco tackles...Outside of Rivers, we whiffed? Case closed, I'm cheering let's go Zion! just like you, but Zion better certainly hasn't shown that he should be handed anything this coming season.

OK, I'm sick of "tough blows" to players...We are supposed to field a mediocre left tackle for his psyche's state?

And again...If he's the best option, obviously start him. I'm just saying...Zion Nelson should be fighting for his job this offseason regardless if (and we don't know) he is the best option as the long-term starting LT here.

He has some nice long-term attributes, he had every right to struggle...BUT NONE OF THAT = He is a lock to be a star here.

I hear ya... just throwing that out as something the coaching staff is weighing on.

We’d have to use our last 2020 counter on a new LT to replace Zion right?

Nelson was a reach coming in and had an abysmal last year. Yeah, he started. But in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. The only reason he started was everyone else was even worse. If Nelson improves at all (not a certainty, many kids have sophomore slumps), anything but a miraculous improvement would most likely see him among the bottom half of ACC LTs. He needs a shirt, and maybe he could contribute quality minutes in year three. Maybe.

Unless we find a grad transfer LT in May that's serviceable, I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers is our starting RT and they bump Scaife to LT. Not ideal, but better than another year of Zion's growing pains.

Advertisement
Back