Must read from a Temple site.....

Advertisement
Stopped reading at this line:

"I don't think Al Golden is any better a head coach than Randy Shannon, but you will find that out soon enough."

I don't think he has proven he is a better head coach than Randy Shannon with a 7-6 records thus far. He is much better in other areas but he has shown nothing on the field.

Golden was able to convince kids to go to Temple. That alone was worth 4-5 wins per year. What scares me is that when the competition is equal or better, he has problems.

Before we cannonize Al for Sainthood, though, please remember that this is the same Al Golden who was 0-14 against winning MAC teams despite having the top recruiting class in the MAC for four of his five seasons.

This is the same Al Golden who was badly outcoached by Ohio's Frank Solich for two straight years.

This is the same Al Golden who lost to Miami (the fake one, not the real one), 23-3, in his final game at Temple. This is the same Al Golden who lost to a guy in that game who was 1-7 in the MAC the year before.

Advertisement
Who knows, he might be right, but sounds a lot like a little bit of sour grapes mixed in.

That said - Al's strength DOES seem to be building a program & putting in a foundation. That's the stuff he talks about that we all are getting excited about. I am not at all worried that he's going to leave UM in worse shape than he inherited, and it's been over a decade since I felt that way about a UM head coach. He's going to recruit well, I think he's going to develop talent well, and I think he's going to get the culture where it needs to be.

The gameday/Xs and Os... well.... like I said, this guy may be right. We don't have enough to go by there just yet.

It would not surprise me at all for him to have a Butch Davis-esque tenure here, where a great foundation is laid but we have a few head-scratching games per year. After Coker/Shannon we needed a program builder and I think we have that. Let's hope the gameday stuff improves. It's worth mentioning that he's still a relatively young guy, and growing as a head coach himself.

I don't think he has proven he is a better head coach than Randy Shannon with a 7-6 records thus far. He is much better in other areas but he has shown nothing on the field.

This. I'll believe it when I see the results on the field. Until then Golden hasn't done any more than Corch has.

from an Xs and Os and game strategy perspective, one can argue that the two are close. But, from the perspective of program building, development of players, instilling a good culture, etc., it's not even close.

Advertisement
Shannon can't even put together a complete sentence (or one free of some butchering of the English language), much less run a football program.

don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. you may not agree with him saying golden may be equal to randy, but he threw out facts in there.

Advertisement
Stopped reading at this line:

"I don't think Al Golden is any better a head coach than Randy Shannon, but you will find that out soon enough."

Yeah. I pretty much stopped reading after this...........

This guy don't get it

Oh and they feel Adazio is a better coach than Goden.......can't make this shizz up

How are any of those comments any more valid than posts right here? But here is the thing that always makes me laugh
Before we cannonize Al for Sainthood, though, please remember that this is the same Al Golden who was 0-14 against winning MAC teams despite having the top recruiting class in the MAC for four of his five seasons.
Anyone can go into the recruiting sites and see that any recruiting advantage Temple had was razor thin. Basically, all MAC teams were about equal in recruiting over that time period in quality of recruits (as rated by star system). Temple's top recruiting classes come from the fact that they signed more kids over that time period. Temple was down to 55+ scholarship players when Golden arrived. That meant he signed the maximum number each year. This mythical recruiting advantage is BS.

Advertisement
How are any of those comments any more valid than posts right here? But here is the thing that always makes me laugh
Anyone can go into the recruiting sites and see that any recruiting advantage Temple had was razor thin. Basically, all MAC teams were about equal in recruiting over that time period in quality of recruits (as rated by star system). Temple's top recruiting classes come from the fact that they signed more kids over that time period. Temple was down to 55+ scholarship players when Golden arrived. That meant he signed the maximum number each year. This mythical recruiting advantage is BS.

This.
Not a single person on temple board mentioned the scholarship mess golden inherited.

They prolly didn't even know.

Golden had "top" classes because he had more recruits.

The MAAC is all 1-2 star players (every now and then a 3 star)

Also Golden didn't have Jedd Fisch at Temple.

But D'onofrio is ehhh and I agree with that.

Golden was able to convince kids to go to Temple. That alone was worth 4-5 wins per year. What scares me is that when the competition is equal or better, he has problems.

This is the same Al Golden who was badly outcoached by Ohio's Frank Solich for two straight years.

This is the same Al Golden who lost to Miami (the fake one, not the real one), 23-3, in his final game at Temple. This is the same Al Golden who lost to a guy in that game who was 1-7 in the MAC the year before.

So basically you're telling me that this guy is Butch Davis. I'll take it. Eventually Butch built the program up so much that it went on cruise control for a couple of national title game appearances (should've been 3).

From the comments below the article(when debating about D'onfrio as Al's replacement).

. I am also not impressed with D'Onoforio at all and would be very disappointed with that hire. His play calling was suspect and I think it is risky to think he is up to the still enormous challenge of the Temple program.

This from fans of Temple that watched him coach for 5 years. Doesn't sound like knee-jerk reaction at all. Sounds like someone who witnessed a defensive train wreck most weeks.

Advertisement
Back