Ms. Betty...

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
Everyone calls her Ms. Betty.

That would be Betty Cook, who raised Dalvin Cook and currently has her son Anthony Jones (who is Cook's cousin) and Da'Vante Phillips living under her roof.

Phillips lost his mother in a hit-and-run his sophomore year, and his father was imprisoned when he was young (his father is now out).

"Ms. Betty, she makes sure Da'Vante is doing what he's supposed to do," said Miami Central coach Roland Smith, a long-time high school coach. "Da'Vante, man, for this kid to endure what he did losing his mom, what he's gone through, he's handled it pretty well. Most kids would break down, wouldn't be able to handle it. And he's done a tremendous job handling the situation to the fullest.

"Thank god for Ms. Betty who looked out for the kid when the kid needed some assistance. Ms. Betty does a tremendous job with kids, period."

For her part, Ms. Betty says "I've always had a love for Da'Vante. Him and Dalvin had been friends since he came into high school.

"He's a strong kid. He knows if he needs me I'm there. We developed a bond, so he knows that I'm there for him."

Ms. Betty says college coaches are coming through for home visits now "almost every day."

Miami took a visit to the house last week - Al Golden, Tim Harris and Brennan Carroll were there.

"They were just talking about the program," she said.

Ms. Betty says Jones (who is a soft FIU commitment) landed his official Cane offer yesterday; Phillips already had an offer.

She says of Jones and Phillips that "they are trying to stay together" in college.

"The two are really close," she said.

Phillips is picking between Miami and Florida State; Ms. Betty says that Jones "isn't interested in going to Florida State."

So does that mean the Canes have a good shot to get the two early graduates?

Asked if, considering Cook is at FSU, it would surprise her if Phillips winds up at Miami, Ms. Betty said, "No it wouldn't. Maybe they'll go to Miami, but it's going to be what they want to do."

She adds "They have to decide pretty soon, have about two more weeks. I tell them all that I don't have to go to school, wherever fits for you, let me know and if that's where you want to be at then you're welcome to be there and I'll be there to support you."

Jones plans to visit UM before deciding, but may not make it to Coral Gables this weekend.

"Anthony has the state game this weekend, so it's hard for him to go on a visit from up in Orlando," Ms. Betty said.

* Smith says of Phillips that "He's a physical wide receiver, very strong hands, man. Anytime the ball is in the air he feels like it's his ball. He attacks the ball real well, high points it real well, does a good job concentrating on the ball. Even if it's tight coverage he comes down with it. He runs excellent routes and is fast for a kid of his size. And he'll only get faster when he gets to college."

Advertisement
Advertisement
A few things.....
* they want to play college football together and they are really close
* Phillips is choosing between UM and FSU, Jones isn't interested in going to FSU, plus he doesn't have an offer from them
* Coach Ice went to visit with Golden and we knw how big of an influence he has on the South Florida community

Seems to me we have a good chance with both....got my popcorn ready.... getting real interesting

People who have seen phillips your rating? He doesnt impress me to much have only seen limited tape on him would appreciate others input thanks

Can she play DT?

As for Phillips, he's closer to cook than he is to jones. He's a goner.

Advertisement
People who have seen phillips your rating? He doesnt impress me to much have only seen limited tape on him would appreciate others input thanks

He's excellent. Not sure why you think he's unimpressive based on any of his film unless you're probably being a homer.

Tall, breaks well, decent route runner, strong athlete with a rough steak in him and does it against top level competition and D1 corners. He won Central their semifinal game last year. Average hands though.

A lot of people will downplay him because he's FSU bound.

Last edited:

He's excellent. Not sure why you think he's unimpressive based on any of his film unless you're probably being a homer.

Tall, breaks well, decent route runner, strong athlete with a rough steak in him and does it against top level competition and D1 corners. He won Central their semifinal game last year. Average hands though.

Not downplaying him at all, wasnt impressed like i said id like someone's opinion who has saw him

How would your rate vs chatman
And the 2016 guys thank

Not downplaying him at all, wasnt impressed like i said id like someone's opinion who has saw him

And the 2016 guys thank

I've yet to see subpar film from him.

They all bring different things to the table. It depends what you want.

Chatman brings tremendous hands, great strength, and pristine route running. He's not a burner but his vertical is something ridiculous. The only reason he doesn't have an LSU offer is that he had an awful camp there this summer. Their loss, our gain. I'm thrilled to have him even though I prefer Phillips. Chatman can really block as well.

Mullins I really like and I don't get why others aren't as high on him. Quick twitch for days, above average speed even if it isn't elite, high football IQ, good routes, and good breaks. His biggest drawback is he's undersized and lacks strength. I think Phillips is better.

Bruce is the best of the bunch. If he was 4 inches taller, he'd be the best player in the country for 2016. He's a burner, compactly strong, good hands, great routes, great breaks, a leader, not afraid to block, and he has the heart of a ******* lion. He is an absolute stud.

I order it Bruce, Phillips, Chatman, Mullins.

And the 2016 guys thank

Chatman brings tremendous hands, great strength, and pristine route running. He's not a burner but his vertical is something ridiculous. The only reason he doesn't have an LSU offer is that he had an awful camp there this summer. Their loss, our gain. I'm thrilled to have him even though I prefer Phillips. Chatman can really block as well.

Mullins I really like and I don't get why others aren't as high on him. Quick twitch for days, above average speed even if it isn't elite, high football IQ, good routes, and good breaks. His biggest drawback is he's undersized and lacks strength. I think Phillips is better.

Bruce is the best of the bunch. If he was 4 inches taller, he'd be the best player in the country for 2016. He's a burner, compactly strong, good hands, great routes, great breaks, a leader, not afraid to block, and he has the heart of a ****ing lion. He is an absolute stud.

Thanks for the insight

Advertisement

And the 2016 guys thank

Bruce is the best of the bunch. If he was 4 inches taller, he'd be the best player in the country for 2016. He's a burner, compactly strong, good hands, great routes, great breaks, a leader, not afraid to block, and he has the heart of a ******* lion. He is an absolute stud.

Ted I actually saw Mullins earlier this year, he has grown a bit since last year. He's about 6'0"-6'1" now. Not really undersized anymore. He weighs in 180s now but he's very solidly put together. Looks like a grown *** man.

And as for people with saying Phillips subpar? **** nah man. That kid been producing since day one at Central. His hands are a bit shaky at times yes. But he's strong, good speed, has the ability to make a tough catch in traffic, very physical and good size. Doesn't have the best separation against DBs but he makes up for it with how physical he is.

Chatman, he high points the ball very well, decent speed for how tall he is in the 6'3"-6'4" range. Very strong but has nice smoothness to his game, makes a lot of highlight reel catches. Blocks very well.

I like Phillips more when it comes to early production. But when it comes to ceiling and potential, Chatman over Phillips.

Mullins is athletic freak, the size of his hands are ridiculous like baseball mits, great hands, extremely good ability at acrobatic catches. Has great separation against DB's. He's a burner. He won't run a 4.2 like Dorsett but he's FAST.

Bruce. Elite route runner, very advanced WR at his age, fast and quick, can change direction on a dime. Great hands, tough, competitor and a team leader. His separation is elite too can leave a DB in the dust in a split second. He's very strong, tough and well put together physically for his size. Regardless of his size, he's still an elite receiver.

I would rate from a ceiling and potential standpoint.

Mullins, Chatman, Bruce, Phillips

From a most ready to come in and play and most developed at this point view.

Bruce, Phillips, Mullins, Chatman

Mullins is my #1 from the 4 we are talking about followed by Bruce a close second.

Thanks OP and all involved in this thread, good informative read. **** tired of readin' talkin' cryin' bout Goldie!

Advertisement
Only knock on Phillips is he doesn't have elite speed, doesn't seperate well. I think he's good, but probably a high 3 to low 4 star IMHO.

Only knock on Phillips is he doesn't have elite speed, doesn't seperate well. I think he's good, but probably a high 3 to low 4 star IMHO.

A 4 is just right for him. 3 way too low. Although he doesn't have elite speed, he's still a really good receiver.

Also.

Phillips all FSU. Been said this for close to a year when Dalvin committed to FSU. Phillips is to Cook like Bruce is to Scarlett.

Jones is ours if we want him.

Advertisement
Back