Moves are being made

I'm one of Chris Petersen's biggest fans, literally. I think pound for pound, he is one of the best pure COACHES out there and if I was USC, he would have gotten an offer the day after Helton was let go. The man won at Boise and University of Washington and did it with kids that wouldn't sniff majority of top programs. With that being said, and knowing several people that have worked under him and on top of our apparent issues, I can totally understand why he would NEVER be interested in coming here lol.

Advertisement
I'm one of Chris Petersen's biggest fans, literally. I think pound for pound, he is one of the best pure COACHES out there and if I was USC, he would have gotten an offer the day after Helton was let go. The man won at Boise and University of Washington and did it with kids that wouldn't sniff majority of top programs. With that being said, and knowing several people that have worked under him and on top of our apparent issues, I can totally understand why he would NEVER be interested in coming here lol.
He would have killed it here. No doubt in my mind.

Advertisement
Timing relative to the overhaul that needs to take place in the athletic department. He may force our hand but not ideal. And respectfully, do not concern yourself with the recruiting impact. The need for the right move when available trumps that exponentially. That is quite understood with those who have a say.
Can I cheer for my Canes again? My mind doesn’t trust the administration; therefore, I still continue to want to lose to ensure change. Safe to say change is coming no matter what happens the rest of the season?

Can I cheer for my Canes again? My mind doesn’t trust the administration; therefore, I still continue to want to lose to ensure change. Safe to say change is coming no matter what happens the rest of the season?
Worst case scenario: Blake James and Manny Diaz both have contracts running through 2023.*

* Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Absolutely. He would be the best coach in the conference BY FAR and we would run circles around the coastal.

If Petersen returns to cfb, he will likely get (and deserve) a top 5 salary. He's at least as good as Lincoln Riley, who makes 7.5 million. Now is that impossible for UM? Conventional wisdom says yes, but the math says no. Here's why. If Mario is really the #1 target, he's going to be asking for a minimum of 5.5 mil per year, probably 6 (no hometown discount). It costs 10 mil for his buyout. Let's say you took that 10 mil and spread it out over 5 years. That means you could have an elite coach getting paid 7.5 mil year that actually costs less than Mario plus the buyout. This is the problem with the "UM guy" obsession. If Cristobal ends up at UM, great. But 7.5 mil is almost 1 million more than the average salary of a NFL HC. The school might as well open up the search to NFL HCs with the money they intend to throw at Cristobal.

If Petersen returns to cfb, he will likely get (and deserve) a top 5 salary. He's at least as good as Lincoln Riley, who makes 7.5 million. Now is that impossible for UM? Conventional wisdom says yes, but the math says no. Here's why. If Mario is really the #1 target, he's going to be asking for a minimum of 5.5 mil per year, probably 6 (no hometown discount). It costs 10 mil for his buyout. Let's say you took that 10 mil and spread it out over 5 years. That means you could have an elite coach getting paid 7.5 mil year that actually costs less than Mario plus the buyout. This is the problem with the "UM guy" obsession. If Cristobal ends up at UM, great. But 7.5 mil is almost 1 million more than the average salary of a NFL HC. The school might as well open up the search to NFL HCs with the money they intend to throw at Cristobal.
I think it would probably take 7-8 to get Mario. Oregon will up the ante, or so I would think.

Advertisement
Agree to an extent. I mentioned previously that we’d all take the job. My issue with Manny is he had the option, and realistically the marching orders, that would have put him in a much better place to succeed. Immaturity, arrogance, and paranoia landed him where he’s at today. For any former military or paramilitary members out there I will say his and BJ’s method of communication and work processes would be like skipping your entire chain of command and discarding those around you who should and ultimately do have a say. There’s little to zero roundtable done and they’ve sought comfort in each other and a few others. They are truly on their own very small island they’ve built.
That last past, about comparing it to the military. I FELT THAT ONE RIGHT IN THE FEELS. My unit in the 82D right around the time of my ETS were doing that a lot. Skipping the whole chain of command, leaders in charge who shouldn't have been in charge, lots of *** kissing and fratenization.... difference was.... the Army did something about it. Our LTC got transferred to recruiting out of STL, our CSM was forced retired (RIP), my old top was forced retired, my punk *** captain, she was demoted....

About time it seems like Miami isn't sitting on their hands with their thumbs up their asses... had to take some media scrutiny

Last edited:
The opposite. Manny pushed BJ into a corner about the job. Told him he’s kicking his can down the road unless there’s a close to immediate offer. BJ being the feckless buffoon he is folded like a paper tiger relatively quickly. Yes it happened quick. But understand we’re not talking minutes here. CMR went to bat for Manny. All the moving parts involved in either decision making, rubber stamping, financing, or all three, were of the understanding of the importance of having pieces in place to help Manny along the way. CMR was very specific on that with his blessing, and that’s exactly what it was, when it came to the hire. Should have been a red flag on the immediate deficiencies.

The understanding amongst all involved was the hire was contingent upon these pieces being put in place. A part of that understanding was a very flexible budget for those around him when it came to help and assistants. Once the ink was dry, Manny took his ball, ran to BJ, and bypassed all the understandings and started rewarding his people who we all know are not worthy of competing at the level we expect.

At some point in that chain, relatively early, BJ bypassed his channels and went straight to JF. Hence you have the mess, angst, and betrayal which saturated all levels both inside and out of the organization.

And let me make this very clear. Manny marking himself as DC after the departure of BB was Manny asserting his weight with the feckless incompetents I’ve mentioned. In other words. The guy who needed his hand held is ruling the roost and the feckless wing nuts have just walked in lock step with him. You really cannot make up the dysfunction.
Can you help me understand the timing of how this all went down, because it's not making sense to me. Manny was hired by Temple on December 12th. Richt resigned on December 30th. Manny was then re-hired by Blake later that same day. If Richt was advocating for Manny, why did he wait until 18 days after Manny took the Temple job to resign? Are you saying Richt resigned on December 30th and said to Blake "if I were in your shoes, I would forgo a proper coaching search and instead pay Temple a buyout to get Manny back." That just does not make sense to me but maybe I am misunderstanding something.

Can you help me understand the timing of how this all went down, because it's not making sense to me. Manny was hired by Temple on December 12th. Richt resigned on December 30th. Manny was then re-hired by Blake later that same day. If Richt was advocating for Manny, why did he wait until 18 days after Manny took the Temple job to resign? Are you saying Richt resigned on December 30th and said to Blake "if I were in your shoes, I would forgo a proper coaching search and instead pay Temple a buyout to get Manny back." That just does not make sense to me but maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I think that's exactly what is being implied. Manny was allowed to finish out the season with us, correct? As in coach in our bowl game near the end of December so he was still "around" when Richt called it quits.. Once Richt called it quits and we were in search mode, he probably went straight to Flake with the suggestion or when they asked him for his 02.

Advertisement
Behind Flakes back. Big changes coming. I don’t have any names and they are being kept secret until the end of the season. Manny will be let go before the end of the season if he continues to **** the bed.
Always love it when the "insiders" emerge and tell us something is coming, but can't tell you when or who. It happens every time a coach is on the hot seat.

CMR pulled the plug on short notice. Temple was still to play a bowl game after Manny being hired. Due to this Manny was strictly in structure mode. CMR walked a day maybe two after Temple’s season ended. Manny has done ZERO in the way of any official duties. I know for a fact Manny reached out to BJ and cornered him on the position. Yes there was the time crunch but it was inconsequential or should have been to BJ. The blessing by CMR came after the cornering. The contingencies came during the buyout discussion. BJ did not reach out to Manny in a “lazy hire”, instead he made a a nut less decision based on CMR and Manny wanting to be here. True to BJ form, he had his mind made up with people like JF and a few others, including a select member of the BOT, on his side prior to others even having a chance to comprehend.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back