Moves are being made

Advertisement
I don’t want to offend anyone so please don’t take this literally....but, this thread and this whole situation is like having a missing child....you keep coming back hoping for good news but you feel so helpless and don’t know wtf to do..so you just end up crying and sad and eventually losing hope..

My understanding from this thread so far,

Blake James was asked to look for another job and is being given time to do so.

Feelers were sent out for possible HCs and the responses were not positive.

Chud was mentioned by someone on the BOT, not sure if it was for HC or AD, but apparently his name is always brought up. So probably not a serious candidate.

And MC is still the number one option for HC.

Any body got any thing else?
I don’t understand the part about candidates outside of Miami people questioning the admin. It’s not like coaches know the inner workings of the admin

That's not how religious exemptions work. What matters is that you have a sincere held belief that your faith doesn't allow it. For example, when I was a military attorney, after the Avengers movie came out, there was a sudden surge of people claiming to be Heathens (Nordic mythology, Thor, Odin etc) and their beliefs required them to have a beard. I looked up the religions position and their authority figures explicitly stated the norse religion has no beard requirement. Didn't matter. What matters is the people BELIEVED their religion required it. No lawyer was going to step on the landmine of telling them they weren't interpreting their religion correctly. Now what we could do is tell them they were ineligible for certain jobs (they were a lot less excited when they found out they couldn't be MPs anymore since they couldn't wear a gas mask and were getting reassigned to the motor pool.
Some of the gigs people have on his board are truly fascinating.

Chud was mentioned by someone on the BOT, not sure if it was for HC or AD, but apparently his name is always brought up. So probably not a serious candidate.

Julio Frenk is apparently aware that there is some sort of problem in our athletic department.

Advertisement
@OriginalCanesCanesCanes is correct. This message may get lost in the shuffle of endless pages but here goes nothing.

First. OP saying moves being made behind BJ’s back is incorrect, unless you consider the usual informal back room channels being worked as “moves” which I don’t. The animosity and strife between the administration at the university, athletic, and external support levels is sky high. EVERYONE is aware of it and some have had the testicular fortitude to make it known face to face, I can firsthand assure you of that.

Second. I can tell you the foundation of the sales job Blake pulled when it comes to snatching Manny. The sales job went beyond just the closed doors of the prez and members of the board.

First let me say I don’t blame Manny. He was handed the keys to a super car which needed some work but by all accounts was on the mend. It’s not his fault he’s over his head. We’d all take the job as well. The understanding and promise of what was relayed by BJ and others who supported and facilitated the hire was contingent on conditions, first and foremost, the hiring and advising of someone who would walk Manny along in the journey of running the program. Performance will get both Manny and BJ canned yes. However, the failure to follow through with what was just mentioned will ultimately be the downfall. The failure to follow through in that guarantee provided by both of them has rubbed the university admin very wrong, including JF. Especially considering that Manny and BJ didn’t follow through with the promise out of fear of being exposed for who they are, i.e. being way over their heads. Ed was brought in post that promise not being honored as window dressing to cover this. My respect for Ed is beyond words. Again I will say firsthand he was not who those who received that promise had in mind. I’m not saying he’s done nothing, far from it. But the questions being raised on here of “where’s Ed”? “What’s Ed’s role” are completely a product of the window dressing of the position.

Third. I’ve heard varying opinions on JF’s involvement in the athletic department. Those who say he has no concern over the athletic department are both right and wrong. JF’s primary concern is not athletics. I’d argue that’s a good thing so long as the athletic admin knows what they are doing which we know is not the case. My understanding, at least what has been relayed by him, is he has at least listened to the trusted voices who have pressed a need for change. HE DOES want athletics to be successful although that’s not at the top of his list. It has been presented to him that you can have it both ways, but that it can’t be the case with someone like BJ. The massive hurdle now is the external source used to bring in the next AD. Again I will reiterate this conversation is not an unknown to BJ. I referenced him being canned earlier. The canning will not be via formal termination. The canning will be via him moving to another program under a “mutual understanding”. I can tell you BJ puts out the image of a mute, submissive little man. Don’t let that image fool you as he’s as stubborn and immovable as a boulder who’s too inept to realize he belongs anywhere but an athletics department. He’s been a yes man to those who matter in the admin to the point where they will take care of him to secure his ouster.

I understand the doom and gloom around the athletics department as a whole. But get this straight. Manny was not a lazy hire. Manny was a hire made under false pretenses by an absolute buffoon of an AD. The GD hire on my side of the athletic sphere was, and yes it was driven by connections and $. But make no mistake from a resume standpoint GD is light years ahead of Manny whether it ends up working or not.

The old saying of “you as a leader will be judged by who you delegate your authority to” is the primary issue at Miami and it starts from the prez all the way down to Manny who does not have the ability or willingness to place strong and knowledgeable generals around him. As much as I wish JF was not commanding this ship understand HE IS open to and moving toward a change at AD, at least that’s what he’s insinuated. The question now is the timing of such a move.

I’m going to be very careful with how I word this. Yes there has been informal contact with a few who are potential replacements for Manny. The commonality amongst all the temperatures of those contacted is the mess that is the athletic admin. And yes that is part of and most likely the most compelling argument for change pushed to JF and others. Yes it’s taken too long and we don’t like the path taken but based on what I know I will tell you changes are coming beyond just Manny.

Last but not least. I’m not a betting man but I will give my thoughts on who will be our next coach. My thoughts are based again not on feeling but instead what I’ve been told. Some I hope I’m wrong with but reality is reality. Unless his current trajectory of success changes for the worse it will be a very hard pull to lure MC, at least for now. I keep hearing $ as the reason. $ IS NOT the reason as contrary to belief it will be there if and when need be. The thought that MC is destined to land here because of outside variables is foolish. He’s a football guy through and through and he has a very very good thing going at Oregon which treats their athletics like gold. Yes there is intrigue on his part but intrigue will not alone make it happen. Our reputation as a **** show athletic department is not lost on MC and others who have been contacted. Unless you see wholesale changes prior to or right at the end of the season there will not be a chance to get him, even if that chance is slim to begin with.

Obviously Corch O has been mentioned as well. To my understanding there is a 0% chance this happens. The admin is not willing to take on anyone with any sort of past, whether directly involved or not, to lead the football team. I can tell you a former WVU coach has been informally contacted by ultimately someone with no dog in the fight other than being a very large financial donor. Not going to happen either based on some of the issues with past players and reputation. This is one area will JF has ZERO wiggle room for exception.

I do not believe we have any chance with any of the better known group of 5 coaches either. Quite frankly I think this is a good thing based on the AG experiment and some other experiences around football. WE ARE NOT viewed as a premier job and unfortunately it looks as if there will be some big shake ups at premier schools with a much better situation than we have now.

The biggest open door for me based on talk and upside is Chud. The biggest obstacle with him was his experience with the dysfunction in Cleveland and the **** show that is our situation. That being said HE IS there for the taking should we move fast enough. Yes there has been informal contact by many within the program. Again, not by decision makers but instead by influencers. Unlike some his sole goal is not the pro game. We’d be making a massive mistake if we did not lock him down. He checks every single box whether it be the “Miami guy” need or most importantly in my mind a track record of success who hasn’t burned any legitimate bridges by his doing along the way. Being in his early 50’s he’s the perfect combination of success and experience combined with the wiggle room of having another 10 or so years left to be at the top of his game.

Above all I’m holding out hope some of it all of what I’ve heard will happen. My family’s track record with Miami athletics goes back to the 40’s with the many of those years having someone occupying a spot on one team or another. Everything I’ve provided is not based on speculation but instead conversations I’ve had first hand with people I trust. Go Canes and someone please hit the fast forward button in our lives right now.
The info is greatly appreciated but If it's Chud or someone like that I'm done

Appreciate that. I’m fed up and quite frankly am risking some of the communication I receive by releasing it I’m sure. I’m not some spy or some mole I can assure you of that. There will be twists and turns but I can assure you Manny will not be the coach and BJ will be doing business elsewhere in the near future.
Geez, the BOT is sending moles into message boards to lower our expectations because our opinions matter? If they’re that desperate and stupid, it’s no wonder we’re in this mess.

You forgot Ken Dorsey and Ed Reed

I would have no issue with Ken Dorsey as OC, and not because he is a former Cane legend. Dorsey is a highly-regarded young talent and has worked in the NFL for Super Bowl and playoff teams. He has more experience than Joe Brady had walking into Baton Rouge. He'll be an NFL OC soon enough.

I'd feel the same if he played at Rutgers. The Miami Guy connection is for him to consider, not The U.

I suspect he is aware of the total incompentcy at The Hecht and Beyond, and would want no part of it.

Advertisement
Maybe WZU should have reassigned him to Hydration Analyst, with an appropriate reduction in pay. Or is not a reasonable accomodation?

Technically yes you could if that was the position most closely aligned where they could make a religious accommodation. Where the WSU lawyers are idiots is they could have just given him all sorts of pain in the *** restrictions like he has to stay 60 ft away at practice, stay in different hotels, etc to make him miserable and maybe he quits. Or you catch him violating one of conditions of the reasonable accommodation and now you can fire him for cause. The knee jerk reaction is going to cost the taxpayers of WA a pretty penny.

I would have no issue with Ken Dorsey as OC, and not because he is a former Cane legend. Dorsey is a highly-regarded young talent and has worked in the NFL for Super Bowl and playoff teams. He has more experience than Joe Brady had walking into Baton Rouge. He'll be an NFL OC soon enough.

I'd feel the same if he played at Rutgers. The Miami Guy connection is for him to consider, not The U.

I suspect he is aware of the total incompentcy at The Hecht and Beyond, and would want no part of it.
Daboll is on HC short list and probably gets a job this off season. KD either succeeds him or goes with him to be OC.

I don’t want to offend anyone so please don’t take this literally....but, this thread and this whole situation is like having a missing child....you keep coming back hoping for good news but you feel so helpless and don’t know wtf to do..so you just end up crying and sad and eventually losing hope..
It’s worse than that. Your spouse killed your kid and beats you, but you keep coming back even though you know they’re eventually gonna kill you, bc you still love them anyway.

Advertisement

I feel this thread is like child birth…it’s close to something special

Advertisement
I’ve heard little specifics when it comes to AD other than the hiring of an outside source to search. As for people’s reluctance with Chud. Understand Chud is an alpha who is comfortable enough in himself to put other respectable pieces around him in place, a la the opposite of what we have now. I think that’s vital. For anyone who played any reasonably high level athletics you know your interactions with the HC on a large team is minimal while the majority is with your position coach. Chud has more than enough experience and clout to put those pieces in place unlike the BS we’ve seen with AG and Manny. THERE WILL NOT be any Patke’s or bartenders in charge of the various units.

@SouthParkCane you are correct. This is not a prestigious job right now. And to be quite frank we do not have top level personnel either. Yes there are pieces, very good ones at QB, RB, and S. But let’s face it, when Jimmy Gaines looks like LT compared to what we’ve run out now we’ve got a problem. The bottom line is half measures WILL NOT work.

And as far as information goes it’s as solid as can be. Whether or not things change I can’t tell you. I can say the prez does notice and is not content on where things are.
I don't care who the next HC is as long as he checks these boxes

1. A leader of MEN
2. Previous HC experience at NFL, P5, or top G5/Mid Major
3. An Alpha personality who is willing to check a player or coach for BS mistakes, who will be a father/stern taskmaster first and a friend/*** slapper second to the young men
4. A man who commands the respect of every single player and staff member whenever he enters a room. Basically, everyone tightens the fk up when this guy walks in.
5. He must have played the game of CFB at some level. I don't care if it's FBS, FCS, NAIA, DII, DIII etc...... This one is often overlooked with Manny who never played CFB. This absolutely matters if we ever want to win a championship again because every major CFB championship HC played CFB at some level.

Jp2344,
I really appreciate the info. It's good to get some real information for a change, instead of wild speculations. You sound believable and credible. I am curious though. Do you think your source(s) will cut you off bcuz you are sharing this info?

Or is that not a concern bcuz maybe the information is common knowledge in certain circles?

Frenk won’t hire anyone remotely controversial so that probably rules out guys like Orgeron, Kiffin, Freeze, and Leach. So in other words, brace yourselves for another underwhelming hire.

Advertisement
Back