Most NFL Draft Picks

Bennubird

Senior
More reasons why recruits who aspire to play in the NFL should think seriously about playing for the University of Miami. We had the most players selected in this NFL draft from our conference. Also, we had 1 fewer than Bama and 1 more than LSU. Carter, Grace, Lewis, Vogel, and Dobard have signed as undrafted free agents. We sent 14 players to the NFL - 14!

Apparently, UGA had one player drafted: Isaiah McKenzie, who is of course from Miami, FL. The University of Texas also had only one player drafted. How does that happen? The NFL.com website only listed the single player taken from Texas as having a draft eligible grade. Whoa. I know Colbert is grateful to be a Cane. Temple and Houston each had more players taken than either UGA or Texas.

There is an article over on ESPN, I believe, asking who will be the next Ben Boulware and suggesting that Shaq may well be. Well, Ben Boulware didn't get drafted. Does anyone have any doubt that Shaq will get drafted? In fact, all three of our starting LBs from this past season will get drafted.

Here are how some big named programs did in the draft. Again, I wish more of our guys were drafted higher, but truthfully at the end of your college career what you want is an opportunity to play in the NFL. Only a few schools sent more young men to the NFL draft than us, and we will undoubtedly have more guys drafted higher going forward. I hope recruits are paying attention.

UGA=1
Texas=1
Temple=3
Houston=3
FSU=4
Washington=5
USC=5
Clemson=6
Tennessee=6
Ohio State=7
UF=8
LSU=8
University of Miami=9 (plus 6 undrafted free agents)

Last edited:
Advertisement
We did well in terms of overall numbers. Soon we will be putting 10 guys into the NFL with 6-8 guys in the first three rounds and 3-5 guys in th first round.

Would love for all of our guys to get selected in the 1st round, but when I think of how many players there are in college football and how few slots there are in the NFL draft, I take it as a source of pride that we have so many young men selected regardless of when they were selected.

Would love for all of our guys to get selected in the 1st round, but when I think of how many players there are in college football and how few slots there are in the NFL draft, I take it as a source of pride that we have so many young men selected regardless of when they were selected.

Couldn't agree more! Having said that, Miami Football is where it needs to be - competing for national championships every year - when there is a lot of top end talent here.

Advertisement
Some of our guys dropped lower than expected but getting 9 guys drafted is definitely a success, hopefully next year it'll be even more. I think Vogel has a chance at an NFL roster, too.

And both grad xfers from last year's class were drafted - a nice job of finding talent in short order to fill in some gaps....

And both grad xfers from last year's class were drafted - a nice job of finding talent in short order to fill in some gaps....

It's more than that, it's a great recruiting tool. To have proof and show future grad transfers that we mean business.

Advertisement
Kirby screwed up the UGA kids so much that Chubb and Sony came back in hopes of making things better.

The NFL draft is only 256 picks. When you think about the ESPN 300 coming out of high school. If it was a true elite 300 that mean 44 of these elite wouldn't have been drafted this weekend. What's even more sobering about the high school ESPN 300 most of them didn't even get drafted at all. Every year the majority of the drafted are 3 star, 2 star, and no star players when they came out of high school. Good job Canes!

I'm glad we are having players drafted again. It certainly shows we are moving in the right direction. The talent level has improved the last 5 or so years, now it's time to start winning.

Advertisement
Back