Morris' Last Year?

How was the program the last 2 years when we were one of the only 2 teams in the country to make it to the CWS?

If you weren't avoiding this board like the plague you would have seen that we have already dismantled that mindset.

Only 11.7 scholies is the problem for a private school like Miami.

Here we go again.

That explains why we couldn't score against Dartmouth (private, $67K) and lost the home series to Wake Forest (private, $69K) while looking up at TCU (private, $58K) and Vanderbilt (private, $63K).

And I guess the whole private school dilemma explains why we're 10th in the state in RPI. 10th. The University of Miami baseball team is behind programs like Bethune Cookman (which is private, by the way), Florida A&M, and Jacksonville. And your only explanation is those darn scholarship limits.

Advertisement
How was the program the last 2 years when we were one of the only 2 teams in the country to make it to the CWS? Unfortunately, the new guys who came in this year have not been good and our seniors that came back have been even worse. Only 11.7 scholies is the problem for a private school like Miami.

The last two years, I'm guessing similar to when we had Pat the Bat, Huff and Michaels and could still not win it all? Is that your point, we under perform with extreme talent?

I understand the 11.7 scholarships, but we have a full roster, so why not better players? This staff seems to be lazy and seems to have been lazy, and if they luck into players like Collins deciding to forgo the MLB then we will have a good team. They just don't seem to care to scout players and find kids that can be developed and will not jump to the MLB draft leaving huge holes in the recruiting class.

However, it just does not seem like we are developing players. When is the last time we had a dominate pitcher? Why is this team so fundamentally poor? Again, Morris could stay another five years and very well may make it to Omaha because he is the coach of Miami, and the program is nationally known. Perhaps, but the program deserves better. It deserves someone putting their heart and soul into it, not just seemingly going through the motions.

Last edited:
This staff seems to be lazy and seems to have been lazy, and if they luck into players like Collins deciding to forgo the MLB then we will have a good team. They just don't seem to care to scout players and find kids that can be developed and will not jump to the MLB draft leaving huge holes in the recruiting class.

This has been my thing for several years. We have it tougher because of scholarship limitations? Fine. Earn your huge salary by pounding the pavement nationally for recruits. There are plenty of American high school seniors who have a favorable combination of talent, grades, and wealth to be able to attend Miami and perform at a high level. It just takes a little bit of effort to find them.

Instead, we send Gino to a few Perfect Game tournaments in Fort Myers and rely on recommendations from local travel ball coaches.

Simply put, where we are now is unacceptable. Frenkenblake need to find a way to rectify this situation. If all that is possible is firing Morris NOW and elevating Demare then it must be done.

How was the program the last 2 years when we were one of the only 2 teams in the country to make it to the CWS? Unfortunately, the new guys who came in this year have not been good and our seniors that came back have been even worse. Only 11.7 scholies is the problem for a private school like Miami.

Everybody knows '15 and '16 were smoke and mirrors. The program has been on a downward slide since '08. This year is the culmination.

Advertisement
It's sad that even marginal SEC programs have at least one kid that sits at 92-93 and can locate 2-3 pitches for strikes to send out on Friday nights whereas Jim/JD/Gino have their collection of soft shouldered, soft tossing, burnouts. Why not just hire the Florida Bombers corch or one of the other few teams that Gino thinks the entire roster should come from....Not to mention that country club atmosphere that's infected the program for years. The program needs a reboot in the worst way.

Moving Morris aside in a sensitive manner should be at the top of James' priority list. You don't want to miss out on a legit coach, just because you didn't want to ruffle feathers. DiMare should not be given the job, and if his family has a problem with it, then so be it. Make sure you have some boosters on board that will help you make up for that lost revenue source. No athletic director should allow a family to take over his department, I don't give a **** how much they give. If they want to buy a job for their son, let them mosey down to FIU. Be respectful, but be honest.

Moving Morris aside in a sensitive manner should be at the top of James' priority list. You don't want to miss out on a legit coach, just because you didn't want to ruffle feathers. DiMare should not be given the job, and if his family has a problem with it, then so be it. Make sure you have some boosters on board that will help you make up for that lost revenue source. No athletic director should allow a family to take over his department, I don't give a **** how much they give. If they want to buy a job for their son, let them mosey down to FIU. Be respectful, but be honest.

Easier said than done dude.

The University's #1 priority (outside of academics/tuition $) is fundraising for current use/scholarship money.

A large majority of Blake James's job is to solicit major gifts for the Athletics Dept.

If you think for a second he's going to **** of Paul DiMare (who has donated MILLIONS) and his family by taking away something Gino was already promised, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

No chance Blake takes that route.

What he SHOULD do is tell Gino he's got two years to get the program back to where it was and also throw some $ at Greg Lovelady and hire him as the Associate HC/Hitting Coach/HC in waiting.

Advertisement

The University's #1 priority (outside of academics/tuition $) is fundraising for current use/scholarship money.

A large majority of Blake James's job is to solicit major gifts for the Athletics Dept.

If you think for a second he's going to **** of Paul DiMare (who has donated MILLIONS) and his family by taking away something Gino was already promised, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

What he SHOULD do is tell Gino he's got two years to get the program back to where it was and also throw some $ at Greg Lovelady and hire him as the Associate HC/Hitting Coach/HC in waiting.

Greg Lovelady is already auditioning for SEC and ACC head coaching gigs as we speak. He has no incentive to take a position as an assistant.

Greg Lovelady is already auditioning for SEC and ACC head coaching gigs as we speak. He has no incentive to take a position as an assistant.

A man can dream...

Would be idiotic to lose him to another big school, ESPECIALLY in the ACC

Hence why I said that James should be talking to other boosters, and looking to get an increase from those people, to help make up for the Dimares. It would be a waste of time to give G. Dimare two years with the program, you either go all in on a coach, or you don't. If you are serious about winning games, and providing a high level experience for your student-athletes, you don't give them a glorified babysitter as a HC. You hire a real coach, with legit credentials. If the Dimares can't deal with that, then you cultivate new donors(Which you should be doing in the first place). Call A-Rod, call some of the pros, and bring them aboard.

Advertisement
This staff seems to be lazy and seems to have been lazy, and if they luck into players like Collins deciding to forgo the MLB then we will have a good team. They just don't seem to care to scout players and find kids that can be developed and will not jump to the MLB draft leaving huge holes in the recruiting class.

This has been my thing for several years. We have it tougher because of scholarship limitations? Fine. Earn your huge salary by pounding the pavement nationally for recruits. There are plenty of American high school seniors who have a favorable combination of talent, grades, and wealth to be able to attend Miami and perform at a high level. It just takes a little bit of effort to find them.

Instead, we send Gino to a few Perfect Game tournaments in Fort Myers and rely on recommendations from local travel ball coaches.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

If you think James is in a pickle now that Gino was already promised the job, wait until they want to fire him. The baseball program is now far worse off than football ever was. We could well be looking at the new normal this year.

I would take Lovelady and Kingston is a second at Miami. I wanted Tulane to hire Lovelady or Cannizaro last year, but they messed up their hire, so college baseball is not great again for me.

Advertisement
It's a shame this program is stuck the way it is having a coach that needs to go only to have his replacement already picked ,not because he's qualified but because his daddy gives the school a bunch of money...

Only thing we can hope for is that Morris leaves now so Gino can get his meter started so we can get through that bad experiment and hire a good coach before what happened to the football team happens to the baseball team.

I would take Lovelady and Kingston is a second at Miami. I wanted Tulane to hire Lovelady or Cannizaro last year, but they messed up their hire, so college baseball is not great again for me.

What year did you go to Tulane? 2005 here.

If you think James is in a pickle now that Gino was already promised the job, wait until they want to fire him. The baseball program is now far worse off than football ever was. We could well be looking at the new normal this year.

Yep.
It wouldn't surprise me if James moves on.

Advertisement
Back