Morgan Mahalak 2014 Cali QB gets Multiple Spring Offers

Paranos

All-ACC
Morgan Mahalak 2014 Cali QB gets Multiple Spring Offers after just a few months ago having none, he now has 6 offers with it looks a few others showing high interest. Duke in particular is putting the full court press on Cali signal caller, imagining him in Dukes wide-open offense for 4 years is not a pleasant picture. But I am happy the young man who is still dieing for UM offer, now has options. An should young mr. Alin Edouard chose to go elsewhere then I say offer MM and take him along with Brad Kaaya as the two QB's for the 2014 class.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
What offers?

I wouldn't offer him till after we see him play as the starter.

He currently holds offers from Duke, NC State, USF, OSU, Idaho, and South Bama. Boise State, Oregon, & Colorado are supposedly expressing alot of interest he went out to Colorado an threw for 3 of their coaches. He also did the same up at Oregon, but I am thinking his picture will get clearly once some of the other top QB's start to commit.

Go Canes

What offers?

He currently holds offers from Duke, NC State, USF, OSU, Idaho, and South Bama. Boise State, Oregon, & Colorado are supposedly expressing alot of interest he went out to Colorado an threw for 3 of their coaches. He also did the same up at Oregon, but I am thinking his picture will get clearly once some of the other top QB's start to commit.

Go Canes

Based on film I'd have to say that it is clear why Brad Kaaya has an offer and Mahalak does not. Nothing against Mahalak. We just can't offer him until our #1 target makes up his mind 1st.

What offers?

Go Canes

OSU is not Ohio State, is it? So he has really no offers besides teams willing to take a chance on recruiting a California kid from out of state.

Advertisement
What offers?

Go Canes

Based on film I'd have to say that it is clear why Brad Kaaya has an offer and Mahalak does not. Nothing against Mahalak. We just can't offer him until our #1 target makes up his mind 1st.

you do know the MM was Jedd Fisch's guy and was about to get offered but Jedd left. Also if David Cutcliffe wants this kid badly that also speaks volumes about his potential, lets it this way Cutcliffe has never had a bust at QB and has put out a few great ones both at Tenn and Duke. So don't be so quick to throw dirt on this young man.

Go Canes

What offers?

Go Canes

you do know the MM was Jedd Fisch's guy and was about to get offered but Jedd left. Also if David Cutcliffe wants this kid badly that also speaks volumes about his potential, lets it this way Cutcliffe has never had a bust at QB and has put out a few great ones both at Tenn and Duke. So don't be so quick to throw dirt on this young man.

Go Canes

Speculation...nothing more.

Sure David Cutcliffe is a great QB coach not going to argue that. BUT BUT BUT he is the HC at Duke. He can't just get anyone he wants. My guess is he goes hard after a kid like this because he can get in there first and maybe start a relationship. I assure you Duke has limitations with recruiting in football. They probably can't get the best QB in North Carolina. As for the QB, he isn't a hot commodity really, just has potential. Kid never started in HS yet.

I say we remain calm and go after our bigger targets.

What offers?

Go Canes

Go Canes

Ok then. Based on film and on-field production who would YOU have offered 1st?

BTW, I'm hardly "throwing dirt" on anybody. Just stating what would be my preference based on each kid's film and who is obviously the coaches preference based on who got the offer...

Im sorry but his offers doesn't impress me and he wasn't the 1st Cali qb to get an offer even though we were Kayaas first. Until something happens with this guy then it doesn't really matter who has "interest" in him

Advertisement
What offers?

Go Canes

You say he threw for college coaches. Were these at camps, or private workouts? Camps are legal, workouts might not be. I know they weren't back in the '80's, and I doubt anything has changed. A recruiting "guru" I used to know accused UM, in a private conversation I had with him, of violating the rule against workouts by testing recruits' vertical jumps on official visits.

Advertisement
When you get on campus you can have them do a few drills & somethings, similar to a pick up game.

Also to the poster saying duke has to take bum QB's. Cutcluffs last 2qbs I believe are in the nfl now at some capacity. And his latest one will probably also make it, where as Jacort Harris unfortunately hasn't seem to found his way yet. An those QB's where rated no where as high as J12 coming out of HS. Which leads me the assumption it was the QB coaching that made them better.

As for him not starting the QB in front of him was a high 4* prospect that is going to Cal. So his coach did the smart right thing he played the older equally talented QB and developed the younger one by giving him some limited playing time also.

Again there is a reason Jedd Fisch was in this kid very eary, and wanted covertly evaulate him then offer him and get him committed if things worked before anyone other schools came in.

Go canes

Paranoid,

Speak to me directly you dolt. No one is disputing cutcliffe's abilities as i already said. I think he could take a project and make him good. I dont know if we could do thAt as well bc we dont have a guru like him or Tedford.

I am saying because he is at duke he has to take more chances bc the pool may be limited.

So why not wait to offer this kid bc his playing time is limited as the backup.

Jedd is gone, we get it he liked him. Jedd didnt bring in Morris and we dont know his track record for scouting even. The backups still are on the bench and time will tell. So cut this irrelevant point.

Amazing irrelevant point with Jacory, I believe Oregon wanted him does that mean anything.

Just cut the BS.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am glad some people are not college coaches if a kid is not a starter UH DUDE he needs to earn the scholly
this year. This is not about J12 and any qbs on this roster J12 is gone and is making the best of his situation

We can't just be throwing offers out there just for the sake of it

When you get on campus you can have them do a few drills & somethings, similar to a pick up game.

Also to the poster saying duke has to take bum QB's. Cutcluffs last 2qbs I believe are in the nfl now at some capacity. And his latest one will probably also make it, where as Jacort Harris unfortunately hasn't seem to found his way yet. An those QB's where rated no where as high as J12 coming out of HS. Which leads me the assumption it was the QB coaching that made them better.

As for him not starting the QB in front of him was a high 4* prospect that is going to Cal. So his coach did the smart right thing he played the older equally talented QB and developed the younger one by giving him some limited playing time also.

Again there is a reason Jedd Fisch was in this kid very eary, and wanted covertly evaulate him then offer him and get him committed if things worked before anyone other schools came in.

Go canes

He's referring to "evaluation periods". Jan is an evaluation period. Coaches are allowed to go to the HS and watch a player throw. They can talk to the coach and watch but their interaction with a player is limited to a simple "hello". However, there typically is more interaction than that. April-May is another evaluation period. For clarification: MM attended camps at Colorado, Oregon State, Oregon, ND, and Nevada last summer. In Jan, Oregon State, Duke, Oregon, UCLA, and Colorado (to name a few) came to see him throw. Also, coincidentally, Marcus Mariota from Oregon was in the same boat as MM. He played WR as a Jr and did not start a game until his Sr. year (he actually had 2 SR QBs who received D1 schollies ahead of him). Oregon was the first team to offer him a scholarship.

Advertisement
Back