More on the Defense (with some data)

UMJer026

Junior
I've said it all along--this is really year 1 of the rebuilding project. When all those juniors left early, it meant we had no upperclassmen worth a ****. For as under-perfoming as guys like Forston and Vernon were, they'd make a big difference on this team. The only juniors and seniors on the defensive depth chart worth a **** are McGee and Telemaque (and that's being generous).

That said, it's tough to believe we are THIS bad. I get that these guys are trying to lay the foundation for something that will prove its worth down the road, but there's got to be some relatively simple adjustments you can make to stop the bleeding. When you line up pre-snap the same exact way on three consecutive plays where you get gashed for 15+ yard carries, something is wrong.

I just can't tell if these guys are being so rigid for the sake of teaching their scheme, or if they lack the wherewithal to actually make adjustments on the fly. A couple of things keep me from the ledge: First, believe it or not, I have seen some improvement from the defense, in particular the linebackers have progressed significantly from week 1. It's not much, but we actually got some big stops on Saturday.

Second, Golden appears to know what he is doing--he has a plan, and he is sticking to it. You might question the plan (and its results thus far), but this is the same thing he did at Temple. He inherited a program that was essentially dead, recruited his *** off, brought in talent, and started a ton of freshmen his first two years, and he had them turned around and playing well in years 3, 4, and 5.

Look at the numbers from Temple (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...otal&sort=1124&conference=I-A_all&year=2006):

Scoring defense

2006: ranked 121st
2007: ranked 59th
2008: ranked 47th
2009: ranked 34th
2010: ranked 19th

Total defense:

2006: ranked 120th
2007: ranked 50th
2008: ranked 84th
2009: ranked 38th
2010: ranked 18th

There is a clear and very pronounced upward trajectory.

I didnt look at the actual rankings from when Golden was the DC at Virginia, but it looks like he had a similar experience: From 2001 to 2004, the Cavaliers' defense improved under his tutelage, ranking 108th in total defense in his first year to ranking 18th in total defense in 2004. In the same time period, Virginia's scoring defense went from 74th in the nation (27.6 ppg) to 17th (17.7 ppg) utilizing Golden's 3–4 defense.

Advertisement
Your point is correct, as are those trends....but

Rivals stats don't include bowl games, and they have Texas St and South Alabama included when they were not 1-A. Best place to get official stats is NCAA.ORG

I know about their tenure at Temple. I know about the opponents (weaker) they faced AND that they also had inferior talent (i.e. inferior talent playing against inferior talent).

I feel like this is AA.

I am not a big Coach D fan, I am also not ready at the same time to just go it is 100% his fault. I am also not a football expert-guru-scientist. I cannot accurately place percentages of blame on the variables involved either.

Youth (X%)
Coaching both at DC and Position (Y%)
Inexperience Upperclassman (Z%)
Quality of Opponent (T%)

I have an open mind, I am not happy but I have an open mind. I never thought this year was going to be our year. I don't think in 2013 it will be much better either. But 2014 (even though I want it sooner), I really think (even though many don't have the patience) will be huge (BCS Game, top 10 and ACC Champs). We will see. I am not an expert.

Thanks for the posts. Hopefully the are limited in their install because of the youth and lack of experience in their scheme.

If we don't see a jump in the D next year it will be time to ask for a DC chage. no one gets four seasons to prove they are capable of stopping folks.

Advertisement
Yeah, I agree--with 90% of the two-deep on defense returning, there has to be significant improvement next year. In fact, with the experience all the youngins are getting, there should be noticeable improvement toward the end of this season.

Yeah, I agree--with 90% of the two-deep on defense returning, there has to be significant improvement next year. In fact, with the experience all the youngins are getting, there should be noticeable improvement toward the end of this season.

That's what I'm looking for right now, an improvement from week to week. Realize we have the meat of our schedule right now, but the kids should be getting better. We could sure use a bye week right now.

Advertisement
Back