Montel McBride - DT, Plant City

Advertisement
Dont have much info but that offer list is legit he can play on either side of the ball somebody is going to get a nice player. I know he is supposed to camp at Florida I think he is camping at UM too

this is what 247 had on him this weekend

http://247sports.com/Article/Montel-McBride-Jaboree-Williams-VTO-129514

McBride adds Louisville
Class of 2014 offensive guard prospect Montel McBride (Plant City, Fla.) was one of the top prospects on hand Sunday, as expected. The 6-foot-4.5, 331-pound offensive guard impressed with his tenaciousness in one-on-ones and continues to add offers to his growing list.

On the recruiting front, the three-star prospect added offer No. 7 on Monday.

"A lot of schools have been by already. USF, Louisville, Ohio State, there are a lot," McBride said. "Since spring started, I actually have got an another offer. Louisville offered me on Monday,"

The offer from the Sugar Bowl champions surprised the physical lineman.

"I was actually surprised because they had just come by the school the Friday before. They saw me, went back and got with Coach (Charlie) Strong, and they offered me Monday. I was really happy and surprised. Louisville is definitely a school I will consider too. They are not too far away, they are a good school and they got a couple of rings last year; and I just know they are a good program," he said.

While McBride continues to add offers, he is going about the process in the same thorough manner.

"I have seven offers now. USF, UCF, FIU, Florida State, Kentucky, Ohio and now Louisville. I'm trying to keep being patient. I'm trying to not rush anything. I like the offers I'm getting. I like the attention. I love the opportunity to get to the next level, but I'm still not planning to commit early. I'm making sure I find that right fit for me," he said.

I hate to say it, but if FSU offered him at DT then I say we put the full court press on because this is a future nose tackle. Care far less if he is set on being a guard.

Also I find the " I like the attention" line annoying, but I guess it is better than the "I really am a little overwhelmed yet I am giving an interview everyday and tweeting fanboy hashtags" hypocritical song and dance we see every year.

Most of his recruiting efforts is at OG, and dominates at the camps he has attended as an OG. I am curious as to why Franklin would be recruiting this young man as a DT, when most 90% of his effort is on the offensive side of the ball. Could he play NT, sure would he be a good I would think so, but what does this say about the other prospects we after. But he doesn't have the explosiveness you want in your Dline players his testing numbers seem average to above average a 36.5 in the powerball throw for NT/OG leaves alot to be desired but I think he has frame to fill out. I thinking he hasn't really hit the s&C that seriously
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/170220/montel-mcbride

Montel McBride, OG, 6-4, 317, Plant City: Since a surprisingly dominating performance at an MVP Camp in Valdosta Ga., in February, McBride has not let up. He's also no longer a surprise. He has dominated competition everywhere he's been. He won the NUC Five Star Challenge in Kissimmee earlier this month and picked up for hardware on Saturday. He's strong, quick, athletic and a dominating force. He's like a defensive end playing offensive guard. He's on a level all his own.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/recruiting/os-orlando-nftc-analysis-offensive-line-20130320,0,385992.post

I am thinking UM is lining him up come to camp in order to give him a good workout then offer him as a solid plan B type kid that would need a red-shirt year to really be turned into a run stuffing NT for 4 yrs. Lets see how things play out, he seems well spoken you would like to see a little more of that mean junkyard dog in him that the great dlinemen have.

GO Canes!

[video=youtube;uTW55Bnnh-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTW55Bnnh-0[/video]
[video=youtube;eIr-tMTcX9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIr-tMTcX9Q[/video]
[video=youtube;h91udQWZAPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h91udQWZAPI[/video]
[video=youtube;65cYv29Z2cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65cYv29Z2cE[/video]

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but if FSU offered him at DT then I say we put the full court press on because this is a future nose tackle. Care far less if he is set on being a guard.

Also I find the " I like the attention" line annoying, but I guess it is better than the "I really am a little overwhelmed yet I am giving an interview everyday and tweeting fanboy hashtags" hypocritical song and dance we see every year.

I could be wrong but pretty sure they want him on the OL. He like the attention because he wasn't getting any just a few months ago. If you are not getting attention then that means colleges dont want you it is not like he is a committed prospect.

Advertisement

I could be wrong but pretty sure they want him on the OL. He like the attention because he wasn't getting any just a few months ago. If you are not getting attention then that means colleges dont want you it is not like he is a committed prospect.

The report coming out of all the camps is him wining MVP for OG. So unless UM is finally starting to admit that the NT spot in D" Onoforio's defense is essentially servering the same function as an OG, and in order to make the defenses run UM needs an OG that plays mean to flip to the NT spot. Or UM is looking for a 5th Olinemen an they want a mauler in training that Kehoe can work some voodoo on to turn into nasty OG. I think it is the former, hence why they have Jethro recruiting this kid, also I think it give Jethro something to do in the Tampa Area. But considering UM TE's coach is a Tampa Area expert I am wondering why they wouldn't put him on it with all his connections, hmmm.

Go Canes!

NUC Valdosta Camp MVP Awards ( Notice Darrius Sap Standing next to McCribe)
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1269468.html

I think with a good showing at UM's camp MM could land an offer as a wild card who could OG or NT which would give some added depth, I also definitely think he needs a red shirt year to improve S&C toan elite level.

THis Camp season s going to be very interesting.

Go Canes

Mcbride gets an invitation to Nike Opening.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/sports/article.html/content/news/articles/bhsn/2013/6/12/the_opening_invite_c.html

PINELLAS PARK --*
Six months ago, Plant City OL Montel McBride didn't have a single offer.

Fast forward to June 12, and the 6-foot-4, 330-pound lineman has 15 of them, including ones from USF, UCF, Florida State, Auburn and Louisville, but his biggest one came on June 3.
And he'll never forget that moment, either.

McBride was at McDonald's after school with a few of his friends. He called Alabama's defensive line coach*Chris Rumph, then talked with offensive line coach Mario Cristobal. His friends didn't believe he was on the line with Alabama. Then, Nick Saban gets on the phone.
"Next thing they hear is, 'Hey Montel, this is coach Nick Saban,'" McBride recalled, laughing. "It went from walking away to, wait, who is that? It was so funny."

The next part of the conversation went pretty well for the three-star prospect.

"He said, 'I wanted to tell you that you had an offer from the University of Alabama,'" McBride said. "He had a long dragged-out speech and he said it a few times. By that time, it had already sunk in. I was like, whoa. I was beyond excited, bouncing around and going crazy."
News traveled pretty fast.

"The walk from Plant City to McDonald's is less than five minutes," McBride said. "By the time I get off the phone and got into the school, I get six text messages saying congrats on your offer. That was fast."
"I was shocked, and ecstatic."
Not many kids in the country, let alone Tampa Bay, can say they have an Alabama offer. It's just one of the many surprises in McBride's recruitment, which has skyrocketed since the calendar flipped to 2013. Just days after Bama offers, Auburn extends him a scholarship.

"It's just great," he said. "I'm loving this right now."

Montel's first offer came from UMass on January 27th. Soon, UCF offered. Then, in March, FSU, Kentucky and USF extended him ones in a week's time. He won OL MVP honors at a Rivals Camp a few week later, and his recruitment continued to rise.

This week, he's on an unsigned preps bus tour, taking him to Kentucky, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Louisville and Tennessee. He plans to visit Alabama in the summer, as well.

Oh, and he'll have to clear his calendar in late June. Tuesday, he was invited to The Opening 2013, a four-day camp presented by NIKE football that includes training, coaching and competition for 150 of the country’s most elite high school football players. It's held June 30-July 3 at Nike's World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. He's the eighth Tampa Bay-area player invited.
"This summer is going to be a lot of fun for me," he said. "I'm not going to have much of a personal life."

It's all come pretty fast for McBride, but he can't say he wasn't warned.

"At the beginning of the year, I didn't have any offers. I was skeptical about recruiting and I wasn't sure whether if it was going to happen or not," he said. "That was just because I was doubting [myself], but back when I was a freshman, (Plant City) coach (Wayne) Ward told me I had the potential to be a national recruit.

"At first I didn't believe it...now I'm just happy, excited and ready for the season. I'm going to have the most fun possible."

Advertisement
Not flaming Paranos, but I'm so sick of all this Alabama talk. We've got to win an MNC and soon!

Not flaming Paranos, but I'm so sick of all this Alabama talk. We've got to win an MNC and soon!

I agree I am also sick of hearing about Bama, but I can guarantee you that both Bama and The rest of the SEC is secretly scared to death that AL Golden is getting things rolling here in S. Fla. An their days are numbered because once that fence goes back up around the state of miami good lord "Hold your hands up High, the Miami Canes Are Passing By" is all those other teams will be thinking.

Go Canes

LOL @ "he had a long dragged-out speech"

I though the same thing, this young man has a parity about every Coach he speaks to. I think he is enjoying the attention, as evident by conferencing Bama on speaker with his friends around to hear the conversation.

It will.be interesting to see where he ends up.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back