Monday Recruiting Chatter - 12/3

View as article
Hey will somebody let me know when Searles and lil Richt get fired. I’ll pay attention then. Merry Christmas everyone!

Advertisement
@Stefan Adams do we still have a shot at Eguakin? Weren’t we suppose to visit with him this week and he official the last weekend?

I thought you also said we were in a good spot with the tight end from Texas. You need some new sources.
Pulling top players from Texas is a pipe dream and a waste of time. There are so many P5 schools in Texas, then throw in the Big 12 schools surrounding the state. No need to go there.

Richt needs to change the culture of SF kids heading north. To do that, the team needs to win. Just win damnit!!! There is a 30 million footprint of people in Florida plus national attention that will always be there if the team is winning. Last year, in 3/4th of one season we had the nation on watch, all the media buzzing, and even hosted ESPN College Gameday. Two 4 game losing streaks threw all that momentum away.

The 2019 team needs to beat UF, beat FSU, dominate the Coastal, and at minimum put up a good fight against Clemson in the ACC Championship game. It's a tall order, but it's doable.

Do that and you have something to sell to these top recruits.

Pulling top players from Texas is a pipe dream and a waste of time. There are so many P5 schools in Texas, then throw in the Big 12 schools surrounding the state. No need to go there.

Richt needs to change the culture of SF kids heading north. To do that, the team needs to win. Just win damnit!!! There is a 30 million footprint of people in Florida plus national attention that will always be there if the team is winning. Last year, in 3/4th of one season we had the nation on watch, all the media buzzing, and even hosted ESPN College Gameday. Two 4 game losing streaks threw all that momentum away.

The 2019 team needs to beat UF, beat FSU, dominate the Coastal, and at minimum put up a good fight against Clemson in the ACC Championship game. It's a tall order, but it's doable.

Do that and you have something to sell to these top recruits.

I know man I’ve been following this crap for ten years. I know the recruiting rollercoaster was more just trying to bust Stefans chops for saying we looked good for the Texas kid when I didn’t think we had much of a shot.

If we somehow pulled off that scenario next year we would have a shot for the playoff 2020 and would solidify us as top dog of big three Florida schools for at least a couple years. By 2020 we will prob have 8 team playoff too.

I know man I’ve been following this crap for ten years. I know the recruiting rollercoaster was more just trying to bust Stefans chops for saying we looked good for the Texas kid when I didn’t think we had much of a shot.

If we somehow pulled off that scenario next year we would have a shot for the playoff 2020 and would solidify us as top dog of big three Florida schools for at least a couple years. By 2020 we will prob have 8 team playoff too.

I know it wasn't the main point you're trying to make. But there is a 0% chance of an 8 team playoff for 2020.

You do realize it's tied to TV contract right? I believe it expires in 2025. So the 8 team playoff dream is a long ways off.

Hope your right on the 8 team playoff. It makes the most sense. I hope they don't "f" things up trying to to take the 8 "best" teams. Conference Champions should mean something. Just take the P5 Conference Champs and the top 3 schools that are not conference champs. That makes it more like the NFL model where you earn your way in on the field and not all by Selection Committee.

I know Saban is against it, but he's FOS saying how it would hurt the players, etc. I say BS. I went to a school that had anFCS football team or D-1AA as we called it. They play a 16 team playoff every year with no problems. The 8 team playoff would mean 1 extra game for 2 teams. That's it. They could start 2 weeks after the conference championships and the second round at the same time slot for the present day 1st round without missing a beat. Perfect for fans as we would have continuous college football all the way thru the bowl games.

If we could turn things around next year, we should be set up for 2020 and beyond. I hope Manny gets appointed "Head Coach in Waiting" at some point. He could run things just fine and get an OC that he would leave alone to run the offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know it wasn't the main point you're trying to make. But there is a 0% chance of an 8 team playoff for 2020.

You do realize it's tied to TV contract right? I believe it expires in 2025. So the 8 team playoff dream is a long ways off.

I haven’t really read into it was mostly just saying what should happen and didn’t have $ signs distracting me.

Imo There is no way it goes 7 years with no change. There is more money to be made in an 8 game playoff. The week after conference championship we have first roind then everything stays the same. Nfl plays 16 regular season games so really don’t see an issue with number of games, timing, or TV money. 4 teams that lose go to New Years 6 games then the 4 winners play the final four like we do today. Don’t know why people think it is that complicated.

Hope your right on the 8 team playoff. It makes the most sense. I hope they don't "f" things up trying to to take the 8 "best" teams. Conference Champions should mean something. Just take the P5 Conference Champs and the top 3 schools that are not conference champs. That makes it more like the NFL model where you earn your way in on the field and not all by Selection Committee.

I know Saban is against it, but he's FOS saying how it would hurt the players, etc. I say BS. I went to a school that had anFCS football team or D-1AA as we called it. They play a 16 team playoff every year with no problems. The 8 team playoff would mean 1 extra game for 2 teams. That's it. They could start 2 weeks after the conference championships and the second round at the same time slot for the present day 1st round without missing a beat. Perfect for fans as we would have continuous college football all the way thru the bowl games.

If we could turn things around next year, we should be set up for 2020 and beyond. I hope Manny gets appointed "Head Coach in Waiting" at some point. He could run things just fine and get an OC that he would leave alone to run the offense.

Agreed it would be 5 conference champs then 3 at large probably chosen by some committee for more tv money and another show. Notre Dame needs to be made to join conference.

Advertisement
Back