Molly McGrath talks to Behind the U about TVD and Dawson

Advertisement
Rewatch games especially those that TVD threw multiple INTs and you will see inaccurate throws to open receivers, forcing throws to covered receivers , not seeing open receivers, ignoring check downs, not running to gain a few yards or extending the pocket. He had a great OL who gave him plenty of time. He was a turnover machine who couldn’t extend the pocket nor scramble. This is not on an OC.

what excuse? YOU are labelling a conversation. Most of that information was told to her by DAWSON, not TVD

At the end of the day, I don't give a **** who gave her 70% of the story and who gave her 30%.

Did he want the RPO eliminated because of mental processing issues, after succeeding with the RPO in 2021 and half of 2023?

That's the issue. And it's STILL an excuse. AT LEAST be honest, and talk about the injuries.

Everybody is angry at TVD and keeps saying he cost us multiple losses but at the end of the day only 1 loss can really be blamed on him.

NCSt. That's it.

GT was Mario refusing to take a knee and then Kam getting beat deep. Mario's error was way worse than TVD's 3 INTs and then Kam's was just as bad. Either of those don't happen and we win that game.

UNC just outscored us. 41 points and 500+ yards. He had some bad INTs but also played well overall. Lots of fluke plays happened that game also like Parrish fumble on the goal line and the strip sack in the end zone that they recovered and advanced and Matt Lee's bad snap.
UVA was a bad game for TVD but we won
Emory started FSU
Louisville TVD played well but defense gave up 38 points and bad play calling on 1st and goal.

So out of our 5 losses, NCST was really the only one on TVD.

Rewatch games especially those that TVD threw multiple INTs and you will see inaccurate throws to open receivers, forcing throws to covered receivers , not seeing open receivers, ignoring check downs, not running to gain a few yards or extending the pocket. He had a great OL who gave him plenty of time. He was a turnover machine who couldn’t extend the pocket nor scramble. This is not on an OC.
You can rewatch all the games you’d like if it helps you out, but if you don’t understand what you’re watching then it’s not going to be very productive.

“THIS” is on both players and coaches, including TVD, AND Dawson, AND Mario.

Advertisement
It's more CIS wanting to throw guys away just for "new". Can't wait to see who they bring in that's "better".

I am one of the biggest TVD critics on this thread, and I have supported him all along. I'm a UM alum, I NEVER throw away fellow UM alums. They may not always make the NFL, but I support EVERY UM alum, even Warren "Toxic Personality" Sapp.

On the other hand, I have a problem with how Tyler has handled himself over the past two years. I was willing to give him a pass for the Gattis debacle, but at some point he has to take responsbility for himself.

I don't know whether anyone else will be "better", but I expect we will win more games with the "new".

I am one of the biggest TVD critics on this thread, and I have supported him all along. I'm a UM alum, I NEVER throw away fellow UM alums. They may not always make the NFL, but I support EVERY UM alum, even Warren "Toxic Personality" Sapp.

On the other hand, I have a problem with how Tyler has handled himself over the past two years. I was willing to give him a pass for the Gattis debacle, but at some point he has to take responsbility for himself.

I don't know whether anyone else will be "better", but I expect we will win more games with the "new".
If you watched any of TVD’s after practice or post game pressers, you would have heard him not make excuses and basically say he’s got to play better. Never once did he mention injuries unless he was asked and always skirted the issue. I’m not making excuses for him or his play just providing some facts.

I, nor ANYONE else, knows what the **** happened after the 1st 4 games. The game plan and scheme was obviously changed for some reason and to this day, NO ONE but the parties directly involved know why.

The most puzzling part of today’s revelation is that BOTH TVD and Dawson said they went over what TVD was comfortable with well before the season started and yet had to revisit this before the Ville game.

It is beyond crazy that Dawson and TVD didn't have a playbook review BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED ... how the **** do you wait until before week 12 to see if together you can "fix" the QB performance??????????
It’s beyond crazy that Dawson’s “potential Heisman” QB (who Mario had to convince not to go to Bama) would need a playbook dumbed down fo the point where he “didn’t need to think”. Can’t blame Dawson for thinking he would have to get to that point.

It is beyond crazy that Dawson and TVD didn't have a playbook review BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED ... how the **** do you wait until before week 12 to see if together you can "fix" the QB performance??????????
Both said way before the season started they did just that - went over the playbook to see what TVD was comfortable with. That’s what’s so puzzling about today’s “revelation”. Not to mention, TVD mentioned it in his Ville post practice and post game pressers and again post BC.

Advertisement
I went back and watched the first quarter of the NC state game in 2021. Lashlee has significantly better spacing in his offense which helps with the RPO game. Loved seeing the splits with the receivers. You can tell TVD had a lot of influence in the BC game plan after going back and watching this game.

Tyler looked much more comfortable running the RPO. Much more mobile too. Lashlees RPO game develops much more quickly than dawsons does.

If we used Lashlees RPO it would have worked better but I still don’t love it at the end of the day, but I can understand why TVD liked it in 2021 under lashlee and not 2023 with Dawson. They run it quite different.

Young and George have been "too inconsistent in big moments"? Yeah, that's garbage. But, suuuuure, TVD needs a "true number one", and then you mention Marvin Harrison Jr. Yes, IF ONLY TVD had Marvin Harrison Jr.'s phone number, everything would be fine, TVD could lock in on him for every play, and nobody would ever be able to stop us...

Yeah, that's not true. And to blame George or Young for all of Emory's incompletions and/or all the interceptions that TVD threw?

I can't believe I'm reading this trash, but there it is...
Man I didn't say we did TVD a disservice cause he didn't have an elite talent outside. I just said he was a different qb with Rambo and that Rambo was more reliable. I also brought up Harrison cause my wife is a taint fan and I watch a ton of their games. I just spent a whole season watching McCord be just as locked on to Harrison as TVD was with Restrepo except McCords favorite target is a top 10 pick and not a plucky day 3 or udfa player. Same could be said for Coleman/Wilson with Travis.

My point was that Lashlee and TVD benefited from having a reliable outside threat. Having a true #1 at wideout that actually puts pressure on the opposing defense every single snap makes a huge difference. George and Young had their moments but they also blew their fair share of plays which likely fed into TVDs lack of trust in them and emphasis on feeding Restrepo.

It wasn't an apologist post for TVD, more than anything it was a post in support of Dawson.

Advertisement
Everybody is angry at TVD and keeps saying he cost us multiple losses but at the end of the day only 1 loss can really be blamed on him.

NCSt. That's it.

GT was Mario refusing to take a knee and then Kam getting beat deep. Mario's error was way worse than TVD's 3 INTs and then Kam's was just as bad. Either of those don't happen and we win that game.

UNC just outscored us. 41 points and 500+ yards. He had some bad INTs but also played well overall. Lots of fluke plays happened that game also like Parrish fumble on the goal line and the strip sack in the end zone that they recovered and advanced and Matt Lee's bad snap.
UVA was a bad game for TVD but we won
Emory started FSU
Louisville TVD played well but defense gave up 38 points and bad play calling on 1st and goal.

So out of our 5 losses, NCST was really the only one on TVD.

That is assuming the minimum from a QB. Now remove all his INTs against GT, UNC, FSU, NCSt and tell me truthfully that we don’t win more of those games not just NCSt. Protecting the football is the number one job of a football player! He didn’t and we lost because of it.

The bigger question is who is responsible for those turnovers. Cribby is spreading the blame for those to Dawson and Mario, rightfully so.

DID HE?

We had a wide open TD to Colbie Young, RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, and he chose to thrown an incompletion to Jacolby George deeper in the end zone.

Again, there is a difference between completing passes (and I've NEVER said he is inaccurate, and I've always said he was our BEST OPTION at QB, as long as he wasn't too injured to perform), and actually going through progressions.

Feel free to explain why the TEs and RBs got so few targets. And very few throws in the middle of the field. Those are functions of "locking in" and not going through progressions.

Look, I'll give full credit to Tyler for doing a great job against Boston College when he knew he wasn't coming back to UM.

But this "offense was clearly different after North Carolina up until Louisville" is shockingly bizarre when one realizes...you are talking about FOUR GAMES...two of which featured Emory, not TVD. So...yeah...I guess...TVD had a terrible stretch of [checks notes] Virginia and NC State...

I'm not sure why we can't all be honest and acknowledge the injuries and the unhappiness over his NIL. And if Tyler didn't want to run after his three injuries (and I don't blame him) then he should have gone to Dawson his **** self.
Tvd is a 1 read qb. Locked in on his first read to many times. Way too many times he had guys open across the middle or deep and never seen them. One thing people are forgetting is that lashlee had to dumb down the play calling when tvd took over

Advertisement
If you watched any of TVD’s after practice or post game pressers, you would have heard him not make excuses and basically say he’s got to play better. Never once did he mention injuries unless he was asked and always skirted the issue. I’m not making excuses for him or his play just providing some facts.

I, nor ANYONE else, knows what the **** happened after the 1st 4 games. The game plan and scheme was obviously changed for some reason and to this day, NO ONE but the parties directly involved know why.

The most puzzling part of today’s revelation is that BOTH TVD and Dawson said they went over what TVD was comfortable with well before the season started and yet had to revisit this before the Ville game.

First, I'm not saying he has made excuses all along. But THIS storyline at THIS point is a load of crap.

Second, now that the season is OVER and he is transferring, he could speak honestly about his injuries. If you want to talk about FACTS, those injuries are facts. I have been talking about them since the UNC game, while a ton of posters were posting about every other "reason" for TVD's decline.

Third, we have to stop acting like "everything changed" after the first four games. That's just not true. We had a similar game plan for both GaTech and UNC, except for the fact that TVD kept throwing terrible picks. AFTER Tyler was injured, though, is a different story.

Finally, thank you for that last paragraph, it is EXACTLY what I said about 10 pages ago, but some people just don't want to listen. And, again, I would point out that if TVD had PREFERENCE issues with the RPO, he certainly DID NOT express that in the first half of the season. So, you know, I don't know what an OC is supposed to do to "change" things in the first six games when we should have been 5-0 after five games and the QB took two major knocks in Game 6.

I'd just like some (belated) honesty from Tyler about how those three injuries derailed his throwing motion, confidence, and decision-making. THAT I could respect.

Tvd is a 1 read qb. Locked in on his first read to many times. Way too many times he had guys open across the middle or deep and never seen them. One thing people are forgetting is that lashlee had to dumb down the play calling when tvd took over

Exactly. But I don't forget.

So after Lashlee simplified the playbook once and Dawson did it twice, how many plays did TVD have on his wristband? Two? Or three?

Man, TVD would be AWESOME at Super Tecmo Bowl...

First, I'm not saying he has made excuses all along. But THIS storyline at THIS point is a load of crap.

Second, now that the season is OVER and he is transferring, he could speak honestly about his injuries. If you want to talk about FACTS, those injuries are facts. I have been talking about them since the UNC game, while a ton of posters were posting about every other "reason" for TVD's decline.

Third, we have to stop acting like "everything changed" after the first four games. That's just not true. We had a similar game plan for both GaTech and UNC, except for the fact that TVD kept throwing terrible picks. AFTER Tyler was injured, though, is a different story.

Finally, thank you for that last paragraph, it is EXACTLY what I said about 10 pages ago, but some people just don't want to listen. And, again, I would point out that if TVD had PREFERENCE issues with the RPO, he certainly DID NOT express that in the first half of the season. So, you know, I don't know what an OC is supposed to do to "change" things in the first six games when we should have been 5-0 after five games and the QB took two major knocks in Game 6.

I'd just like some (belated) honesty from Tyler about how those three injuries derailed his throwing motion, confidence, and decision-making. THAT I could respect.
I’m not defending his play after game 4 at all. Just trying to add some context in a vain attempt to understand what the **** was going on. Obviously, we’ll never know the intimate details about the game plan, injuries, or any other aspect of this whole fiasco.

All most of us can do is go by what we see on the field and depending on one’s football acumen, decipher some of the issues. And you know **** well if TVD revealed the true extent of his injuries many would just say he’s making excuses. At this point, he’s dug himself a massive hole and his decision to leave is best for both parties.

Advertisement
Back