Molly McGrath talks to Behind the U about TVD and Dawson

Some in our fan base believe that because TVD had a successful freshman year season that poor performance over multiple games now must be someone else’s problem like the OC. It can’t be TVDs fault. If you know football the film doesn’t lie. The metrics don’t lie. His indifference in the mist of failure and changing the narrative when it benefits him is who he has become.
You never answered my question

Advertisement
You weren’t impressed beating Clemson with a true freshman QB? Had a game winning drive chance to beat a top 5 FSU team on the road with a true freshmen?

TVD was pretty legit the first four weeks of the season until GT threw this new exciting defense at him called “zone coverage”
There were plenty of positives this season, but to say Dawson got the most out of the product on the field is not one of them.

Edited to add: I completely agree with you regarding the exciting "zone coverage". How in the world is it that an OC can't figure out how to put our offense in the best position to beat zone coverage? It's coached in youth football everyday.

Are the rumors true about him being pansexual?

how-to-make-your-favorite-cast-iron-skillet-last-forever-1022-2000-5edb8809448b46e2ac64ad7305a...jpg

images.jpg

71emkWTryEL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

What changed from his Rs Fr year to the Soph and jr year? Defenses were running zone then. Where did it all go wrong ?
No Rambo. TVD throws it up to his playmakers and lets them make plays, he feeds his workhorse. He tries with Restrepo but he just isn't a number one talent. Both Young and George have had opportunities through out the year and they have been too inconsistent in big moments. If TVD had a true number one this year the offense would have been more consistent. Look at McCord and Harrison Jr. He is able to lock on him all day everyday and it doesn't matter

Restrepo is a better version of Mike Harley but he is no Rambo. Had George or Young been a contested catch play maker we would have been less of a trainwreck while TVD was injured.

Advertisement
We tend to make too many things black or white in life, and on this board.

TVD isn't great at diagnosing coverages
The coaching staff didn't do a great job of scheming guys open for him as his first read
The injuries impacted his play
The running game didn't take much pressure off him once ACC play started
He's probably not the most mentally strong kid of all-time and when his play went in the tank, so did his confidence

All of these things added together contribute to what you saw. You can't turn the ball over that many times in 4-5 games as we did and think it's all on one guy or even it's only one reason with that one guy. It's multiple different issues.

What changed from his Rs Fr year to the Soph and jr year? Defenses were running zone then. Where did it all go wrong ?
A lot of things changed (coaching, scheme, health, etc). Let's be objective here, the best team TVD beat was Texas A & M this year. Go back and look at his performance and record v quality opponents and they were at best mediocre. He is a decent college Qb, and any suggestion that he was an elite QB off of 5-6 really good games v below to average competition in 21 and 22 is just a mistake. He is a limited but decent college QB. Nothing more nothing less

Advertisement

The coaching staff didn't do a great job of scheming guys open for him as his first read
He's probably not the most mentally strong kid of all-time and when his play went in the tank, so did his confidence

All of these things added together contribute to what you saw. You can't turn the ball over that many times in 4-5 games as we did and think it's all on one guy or even it's only one reason with that one guy. It's multiple different issues.
ding ding ding!

Here's what Crib is trying to say - Anyone who only blames TVD and does not place significant blame on Dawson as well is an idiot. And he's 100% correct.
Agreed. Admittedly, I haven't been reading closely enough, so I hope that isn't consistently happening and folks can look at the totality of the circumstances here. There are plenty of "opportunities for improvement" to go around.

Playing to your personnel strengths shouldn’t be mind blowing idea. Shouldn’t take the whole season to figure out what concepts your QB is comfortable with.

Last edited:

Would add: Lashlee without question a better OC than Gattis and Dawson. Lashlee (as he has done before) made TVD look better than he was.

Advertisement

2 min 10 second clip from Molly's interview with Behind the U

Great Listen. Explains alot about the rough part of the season. Also brings some questions back to the forefront about how Dawson did or didn't work with the QB room this season.

David Lake talked about what he saw as failures in their 247 podcast, too.

For me, it reinforces what I've said numerous times; it wasn't just on Tyler. He had to deal with the physical stuff and Dawson did little to nothing to help him with the offense until he had to.

1701291398691.gif

Advertisement
Dawson was good enough to win against Clemson with a true freshman QB.
so did nc state beat them with frosh qb. Not quite sure the point, as Shannon, Golden and Manny also won a few games, they shouldn't have won. Dawson may be fine, too early to tell, however, he did have similar issues at UK and southern Miss where he got fired by both programs.

More TVD bull****...

Post-Bethune-Cookman...

View attachment 268312

I guess the people doing this interview didn’t think people had iPads and laptops to look up what TVD was saying earlier in the year….I will pull for the kid cause he was a Cane but I’m glad he’s hitting the bricks and good luck on the Korn Ferry Tour cause you will never play in the NFL…

Once again Mario didn’t know this ? I mean he did all he could do to get him to come back two years in a row. Then hired two OC’s that didn’t fit his skill set . I guess that’s Tvd’s fault too? Not the HEAD COACH?
The head coach is always responsible. Last year was a total disaster that had a carry over to this year for TVD. TVD looks great or awful. There is no middle ground. If he was injured he shouldn’t have played after NC. GT game never left him mentally and that was the issue until he decided to audition for the portal. Move on

Advertisement
Back