Moise speaks on commitment status, Stroud, and rest of class

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
There have been many changes in the Miami Hurricanes program since the end of the 2018 season in December. Head coach Mark Richt retired, and although the Canes maintained some stability by essentially promoting defensive coordinator Manny Diaz to lead the program, Miami will feature an entire new offensive staff in 2019, as well as a new defensive coordinator and new defensive line coach. Despite all the upheaval, 2020 4-star defensive tackle commit Willie Moise never wavered from his commitment and says his bond to the program has never been stronger.

“Well it didn’t really affect me and my commitment,” Moise said of the changes. “I would say my status is a 1000% hard commit. It’s my dream school and my family are all die-hard fans for Miami.”

The 6’3” 290 pound prospect has been a commitment to Miami since March of 2018, and even though he now has to develop a brand new relationship with his future position coach, Moise already likes what he’s heard from Miami’s hire in DL coach Todd Stroud.

“He’s real cool and is a coach with wisdom,” Moise said of Stroud. “I think he will be able to develop my game to higher heights.”

Despite that, Moise says he doesn’t rule out other visits in the future as he wants to enjoy the process. He recently took a visit to UF and has his sights set on seeing another SEC program as well.

“I’m going to enjoy the recruitment process to the fullest,” Moise said. “I’ll probably visit LSU too.”

Moise is known for playing on both sides of the ball for Chaminade-Madonna, and was a first team All-Broward selection on the offensive line in 2018. However, he was arguably just as effective as a defensive tackle for the Lions, recording 22 TFL and 9 sacks in his junior year. The Canes have always seen him with more potential on defense and Moise agrees with that characterization.

“Well, I get loose on defense, so I prefer DL definitely,” he said.

The Hurricanes are off to a hot start in 2020 recruiting, with services regarding UM’s early class as within the top 5 nationally. Moise loves the potential that Category20 currently offers and points to fellow DT commit Tre’von Riggins as someone who he’s meshed with well so far.

“I like the class a lot and I truly believe Category20 is going to be the best class at Miami,” Moise said. “Tre’von is my dog. I think we pair up well.”

As for expectations for his freshman season at Miami, Moise is more focused on team goals than personal achievements.

“I just want to come and help the Hurricanes win,” Moise said.

And his message to the Canes fans that have followed his recruitment throughout the process?

“To all the Canes fans, I’ll be there soon!”

Advertisement
There have been many changes in the Miami Hurricanes program since the end of the 2018 season in December. Head coach Mark Richt retired, and although the Canes maintained some stability by essentially promoting defensive coordinator Manny Diaz to lead the program, Miami will feature an entire new offensive staff in 2019, as well as a new defensive coordinator and new defensive line coach. Despite all the upheaval, 2020 4-star defensive tackle commit Willie Moise never wavered from his commitment and says his bond to the program has never been stronger.

“Well it didn’t really affect me and my commitment,” Moise said of the changes. “I would say my status is a 1000% hard commit. It’s my dream school and my family are all die-hard fans for Miami.”

The 6’3” 290 pound prospect has been a commitment to Miami since March of 2018, and even though he now has to develop a brand new relationship with his future position coach, Moise already likes what he’s heard from Miami’s hire in DL coach Todd Stroud.

“He’s real cool and is a coach with wisdom,” Moise said of Stroud. “I think he will be able to develop my game to higher heights.”

Despite that, Moise says he doesn’t rule out other visits in the future as he wants to enjoy the process. He recently took a visit to UF and has his sights set on seeing another SEC program as well.

“I’m going to enjoy the recruitment process to the fullest,” Moise said. “I’ll probably visit LSU too.”

Moise is known for playing on both sides of the ball for Chaminade-Madonna, and was a first team All-Broward selection on the offensive line in 2018. However, he was arguably just as effective as a defensive tackle for the Lions, recording 22 TFL and 9 sacks in his junior year. The Canes have always seen him with more potential on defense and Moise agrees with that characterization.

“Well, I get loose on defense, so I prefer DL definitely,” he said.

The Hurricanes are off to a hot start in 2020 recruiting, with services regarding UM’s early class as within the top 5 nationally. Moise loves the potential that Category20 currently offers and points to fellow DT commit Tre’von Riggins as someone who he’s meshed with well so far.

“I like the class a lot and I truly believe Category20 is going to be the best class at Miami,” Moise said. “Tre’von is my dog. I think we pair up well.”

As for expectations for his freshman season at Miami, Moise is more focused on team goals than personal achievements.

“I just want to come and help the Hurricanes win,” Moise said.

And his message to the Canes fans that have followed his recruitment throughout the process?

“To all the Canes fans, I’ll be there soon!”

Thank you Stefan! I always look forward to your articles and excellent insight.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We are often so focused on what we are not getting that we take who we have committed for granted. Hadent watched his film in a while and **** its good. Big plus that he wanted to be a cane early. Appreciate dude!
Not to mention will play with Nesta, Ford, Miller, Blissett, Hunte, Riggins, and Holley.

Advertisement
Good write up @Stefan Adams, always a good thing to show the big boys some love.

Sounds like the young man is enjoying the hostess tours on the recruiting train circuit. Do your thing young man, but remember safety first.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Does this guy remind anyone of Jerome Brown? Of course JB’s place in in our program and in our hearts is special, and etched in there forever. But once in a while a kid like this appears and reminds us of some of the greats in our program.

Also, looking at the 11 or so commits, why is our recruiting always so anemic on the OL side? Why is this such a struggle consistently? This spring is already undermanned on the OL, and I don’t see a single OL commit for Category 20. Manny & Co need to do something extreme here, or we’re gonna have the same struggles next couple of years. Just my opinion.

Does this guy remind anyone of Jerome Brown? Of course JB’s place in in our program and in our hearts is special, and etched in there forever. But once in a while a kid like this appears and reminds us of some of the greats in our program.

Also, looking at the 11 or so commits, why is our recruiting always so anemic on the OL side? Why is this such a struggle consistently? This spring is already undermanned on the OL, and I don’t see a single OL commit for Category 20. Manny & Co need to do something extreme here, or we’re gonna have the same struggles next couple of years. Just my opinion.

Antonio Smith out of Ocala is committed but your point still stands.

2018 class was a great OL class by our standards but 2019 was a disaster (rankings wise at least) with the coaching turnover. We can’t seem to “stack chips” along the OL.

We struggle with development as we have plenty of OL in the league but have produced mediocre lines for 15 years it seems. Hopefully Barry can solve this.

We will have a young OL this year and every starter should be back for 2020 so provided we sign ~4 quality OL this cycle, we can fix our quantity and quality.

Advertisement
Back