Mizzou's DL Disappointing So Far

gcane44

Junior
I haven't watched Mizzou this season but I've seen a few articles indicating that the DL has been disappointing relative to expectations and the past few years.

We all know coach Kool is a stud, but I think this just further backs that and speaks volumes to his coaching ability.

Missouri is tied for last in the Football Bowl Subdivision with one sack this season, an unsettling statistic for a fanbase accustomed to a disruptive defense.

Senior defensive tackle Josh Augusta smothered Eastern Michigan quarterback Todd Porter for a 5-yard loss Saturday and has three of the 3 1/2 tackles for a loss credited to Mizzou defensive linemen this season, a big-play drought that is perhaps the most vexing development during coach Barry Odom’s first two games.

It can be attributed, in part, to a philosophical shift.

“We play gaps, and we make sure our guys have gap integrity,” new defensive coordinator DeMontie Cross said. “I don’t know this for a fact, but I think those guys (in previous seasons) were just able to cut it loose all the time. …

“That’s not how we play.”

Since 2005, Mizzou only finished outside the FBS top 50 in sacks per game three times and only once in tackles for loss per game. The Tigers’ defensive line also had 12 players drafted into the NFL, including four first-round picks, during former coach Gary Pinkel’s 15-year tenure.

Under former defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski, the fabled architect of “D-Line Zou,” the front four relied more on instincts, making one or two quick reads and charging upfield off the snap.

Former Tigers defensive end Michael Sam, an All-American and co-Southeastern Conference defensive player as a senior in 2014, doesn’t seem to accept the new gap scheme as an explanation for the drop in sacks.

“Plenty of guys under (Kuligowski) had gap integrity and got sacks!!! Two of them were D-Line All-Americans,” Sam posted on Twitter on Wednesday.

Full article here: Mizzou?s pass rush off to frustrating start under new scheme | The Kansas City Star

Advertisement
I don't know why college teams use this style of defense. We have one of the best QB's in college ball and we can see pressure poses problems for him. Why would anyone want a QB to get comfortable and in a rhythm. It also prevents the D from getting the opposing team off schedule, making for longer 3rd down conversions. Makes zero sense. So happy those days are in the rear view mirror for the Canes.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** im dying laughing at that.....nikka said we dont llay like that. What u do t play like? The good teams?

That defensive scheme is just to hard to run in college football. Nfl you can have success because you have grown men playing in grown men positions.
Asking chad Thomas to 2gap takes away what makes him a good football player.

"those guys in previous seasons were among the NCAA leaders in TFL and sacks. Making too many plays in the opponent's backfield. That's not how we play"

Advertisement
Holy ****!! I feel like I was in the twilight zone reading that article. That was us the last 5 years. How can you give your Dline 5 different reads, lol...I'm dying laughing, but yet, I feel so bad for their Dline! That's not what they signed up for, lol.

I wonder what will happen to Walter Brady Jr. 2 star turned freshman All American hand picked by Kool. Would love to see him come to the U

Advertisement
I don't understand how a coach can say with a straight face that they don't allow their players to just run up the field and cut loose. That they are OK without getting sacks

Passive, death by a thousand cuts defense sucks and is boring to watch. When we inevitably get burned by being too aggressive, so be it.

As probably some of you know I am a Mizzou alum. It is really obvious that Mizzou misses the attacking style of D they were playing last year. They have a new DC and HC that have changed everything. They took a stud Charles Harris and now having him reading and reacting instead of getting the QB. It is a complete ****show.

Now here is some news on Kool you probably have not heard...evidently on his way out the door at Mizzou he sent the rest of the SEC a copy of Mizzou's playbook. I don't think he did this but that has been the rumor since he left. He had a huge garage sale in town on the way out too and sold all his Mizzou stuff including game footballs and bowl stuff. He was pretty salty when he left. Pinkel gave Richt a call and put in the word for him which was nice so I think the beef is all with the new HC who appears in over his head.

Advertisement
Back