Missing pieces (things we all know already)

To keep this from getting moved to the recruiting board, I'll try to patch these holes with guys already on the team.

1. Need to hope that George Brown develops into a good LT so that Darling can play either guard position or RT. McDermott and Linder a year older and stronger should be pretty good. There's not much to believe in aside from them unless St. Louis or Gauthier take a major step forward. I do like the idea of four senior starters on the OL with tons of combined starts.

LT Brown
LG McDermott
C Linder
RG Darling
RT Odogwu

2. Homer has a spring in his step. I'm a fan of Walton and Yearby but they have their shortcomings. Would feel better about Homer if he was stealing some carries but Brown is adamant about playing 2 backs.

3. Berrios has the potential to be a sturdy slot WR for us next season along with Richards, Harris, Cager. Still think he's too heavy.

4. From what I've seen of Jaquan, he's got some ballhawk in him. Knowles and Finley are total unknowns but appear to be better suited to play closer to the LOS.

5. In Perry we trust.

I wouldn't count on Brown IMO.

Kids who play games in recruiting and then transfer after a year usually don't pan out. The knock on this kid was that he was really lazy. It's been said a lot on this board about how when the local schools don't take you should we really want him? With that being said, how many 4* a$$ kickers on the oline do you ever see Urban Meyer let get away from his backyard? Any good oline actually, who cares about the stars. Why didn't Urban want him?

I would truly be shocked and surprised if this kid ever starts here. I think he'll get beat out and transfer from us to be honest.

Probably true - but when you need bodies sometimes you roll the dice with these transfer types, and hope that they've learned their lesson.

Larranaga does it with guys who were once deemed "lazy" by other coaches.

A second chance is a powerful thing.

I dont see Searles as the kinda coach whos gonna put up with lazy

Advertisement
Brad Kaaya's lack of mobility is by choice. He's athletic enough to pick up the occasional first down with his feet but the kid refuses to do it. He's entirely contact-adverse.

This is what allows teams with good DB's to play tight man coverage against us, even when we go with an empty backfield. They have no fear turning their heads on the QB because they know with absolute certainty that kaaya will NEVER cross the line of scrimmage.

Brad Kaaya's lack of mobility is by choice. He's athletic enough to pick up the occasional first down with his feet but the kid refuses to do it. He's entirely contact-adverse.

This is what allows teams with good DB's to play tight man coverage against us, even when we go with an empty backfield. They have no fear turning their heads on the QB because they know with absolute certainty that kaaya will NEVER cross the line of scrimmage.

By choice?

...5. In Perry we trust.

This Perry young man that good? Or is our fan base wanting him to be that good? The next diamond in the rough like L'Ville's Jackson?

Puts a ton of pressure on Perry and lifts expectations to perhaps unrealistic levels...

Perry is going to beat out Shirreffs or Allison too??

Yes he will beat them, I see Perry as our Lamar or Jameis, which is what you need to win in college football, heck even Alabama has a dual threat qb now

Golsen...

Im not in a spot to observe the on field performance of these prospects like some of you are...I defer to your knowledge base and expertise on this...

Doesn't Paranos have a video of Perry's Pop Warner 80yd TD run when he was an 8yr old barnstormer?

I kid...I kid...always appreciate Paranos posting the videos...I kid..I kid...

Advertisement
QB mobility is great to have, but I would rank it behind accuracy and good decision making. Kayaa has those, and with a better OL we'd be raving about what a great QB he is. Basically, people are blaming him for not being able to compensate for other people's shortcomings, and (as usual) assuming that the next guy will solve our problems. Perry hasn't stepped on campus yet, and we all know how easy it is for these kids to get sidetracked. Add to that Jack probably wanting to start and it's a long road for Perry to see the field.

Agree with you for the most part, and I'm certainly not willing to give up on Kaaya. There are just times when I wish he could even extend the play laterally and find an open guy downfield. He doesn't have to run, but many times it seems like he's just waiting to get himself killed.

True. Was he like that last year? I seem to remember him sensing the rush better and getting the ball out. I wonder if he's thinking too much.

He seems resistant to running for sure, but I would not call him "contact-adverse". He stands in pocket and takes a beating; I don't see him as soft.

To keep this from getting moved to the recruiting board, I'll try to patch these holes with guys already on the team.

1. Need to hope that George Brown develops into a good LT so that Darling can play either guard position or RT. McDermott and Linder a year older and stronger should be pretty good. There's not much to believe in aside from them unless St. Louis or Gauthier take a major step forward. I do like the idea of four senior starters on the OL with tons of combined starts.

LT Brown
LG McDermott
C Linder
RG Darling
RT Odogwu

2. Homer has a spring in his step. I'm a fan of Walton and Yearby but they have their shortcomings. Would feel better about Homer if he was stealing some carries but Brown is adamant about playing 2 backs.

3. Berrios has the potential to be a sturdy slot WR for us next season along with Richards, Harris, Cager. Still think he's too heavy.

4. From what I've seen of Jaquan, he's got some ballhawk in him. Knowles and Finley are total unknowns but appear to be better suited to play closer to the LOS.

5. In Perry we trust.

I wouldn't count on Brown IMO.

Kids who play games in recruiting and then transfer after a year usually don't pan out. The knock on this kid was that he was really lazy. It's been said a lot on this board about how when the local schools don't take you should we really want him? With that being said, how many 4* a$$ kickers on the oline do you ever see Urban Meyer let get away from his backyard? Any good oline actually, who cares about the stars. Why didn't Urban want him?

I would truly be shocked and surprised if this kid ever starts here. I think he'll get beat out and transfer from us to be honest.

Probably true - but when you need bodies sometimes you roll the dice with these transfer types, and hope that they've learned their lesson.

Larranaga does it with guys who were once deemed "lazy" by other coaches.

A second chance is a powerful thing.

I dont see Searles as the kinda coach whos gonna put up with lazy

You both have great points. I hope you're both right too. In this case i wouldn't mind being wrong at all because we do need good players on the Oline. **** we have bodies there right now, just not the right ones.

Brad Kaaya's lack of mobility is by choice. He's athletic enough to pick up the occasional first down with his feet but the kid refuses to do it. He's entirely contact-adverse. This is what allows teams with good DB's to play tight man coverage against us, even when we go with an empty backfield. They have no fear turning their heads on the QB because they know with absolute certainty that kaaya will NEVER cross the line of scrimmage.
He seems resistant to running for sure, but I would not call him "contact-adverse". He stands in pocket and takes a beating; I don't see him as soft.
71-tDd-NgIL._SL1500_.jpg

Advertisement

[MENTION=270]SFbayCane[/MENTION]: I agree. Even Tom Brady and Manning has run for the occasional first down when the field was wide open for them in their younger days. Kaaya is definitely contact-adverse. When he's on, he's on and honestly, I don't think there's a better QB than him when he's on, but I think the scouting report is, hit him once, and he's rattled. Maybe he didn't take too many shots in HS. Regardless, if that's his flaw, then he needs to get rid of the ball quicker. If the run game is not there, the play action is not going to work. It needs to be pitch and catch all game long.

In order to compete with the really big boys in Championship situations it may take a full four recruiting Classes.
And I believe that is what we all should expect.
Anything less than that would be gravy as they say.

If Kaaya was afraid of getting hit, he'd run more. If you've ever been tackled, you know the impact is far worse if you're standing in the pocket looking downfield as opposed to tucking and running and bracing for a hit. If Kaaya was getting happy feet and trying to bail out of the pocket on every play, I'd say he was scared. Dudes who stand in the pocket, knowing a hit is coming are tougher than ****.

plus one on perry

i've defended by position a few times on him, but after a red shirt year, this guy could be special

that being said, i think we can win and win big with kaaya, but the line has to step up

Advertisement
If Kaaya was afraid of getting hit, he'd run more. If you've ever been tackled, you know the impact is far worse if you're standing in the pocket looking downfield as opposed to tucking and running and bracing for a hit. If Kaaya was getting happy feet and trying to bail out of the pocket on every play, I'd say he was scared. Dudes who stand in the pocket, knowing a hit is coming are tougher than ****.

There are times to stay in the pocket and times to run. Kaaya NEVER engages in the latter. This is a liability with him that manifests itself most in the biggest of games.

There are times to stay in the pocket and times to run. Kaaya NEVER engages in the latter. This is a liability with him that manifests itself most in the biggest of games.
I agree with your original statement. Kaaya is never, ever a threat to run. So dbs have no fear of him, hence, lack of separation by wrs. Throw in a terrible oline....kaaya is tough, good in rhythm, but NOT elite. Defenses can play us completely differently than any other P5 team with a QB who will scramble on broken plays. That's a KEY difference in our lack of offensive success.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

LT Brown
LG McDermott
C Linder
RG Darling
RT Odogwu

5. In Perry we trust.

FIFY

LT Donaldson
LG McDermott
C Linder
RG Darling
RT Brown

Last edited:
Advertisement
The thing about the scrambling issue is that Richt has emphasized that you don't need to be able to run in his offense to be successful. He has constantly brought up Weinke being a statue back there and whatnot.

I really do believe Richt would rather Kaaya throw the ball away or take a sack then have him scramble. So he is doing what he is ordered to do by not taking off and trying to get yards.

What do you see as key differences between M Stafford, A Murray, and B Kaaya?

I believe Stafford and Murray had better arm strength and quicker release or "pockey presence"...perhaps at least the willingness to run and slide...

What do you see as key differences between M Stafford, A Murray, and B Kaaya?

I believe Stafford and Murray had better arm strength and quicker release or "pockey presence"...perhaps at least the willingness to run and slide...

Murray arm was not stronger than kaaya's but he was a way better athlete than him by far. Stafford had an absolute cannon. Strongest arm in the past 15 years probably.

I never said he shouldn't occasionally run, I was responding to the people who said he doesn't run because he's afraid of contact. There's definitely been times that he could have pulled it down and picked up a few yards. I wish he would do that occasionally.

Advertisement
Back