Misc. Coaching

Advertisement
I continue to be a big fan of Jedd Fisch. I really liked seeing him call plays at UM. I also think he got more out of both Jacory and SteMo than anyone else has.

The fact that he was offered an NFL OC gig and then immediately got offered a job working with Jim Harbaugh tells me what the marketplace thinks of him. I fully expect him to take a quality OC gig within the next year or two.

I really wish UM would offer a competitive salary for its coordinators so our next head coach can bring him back next year.

I continue to be a big fan of Jedd Fisch. I really liked seeing him call plays at UM. I also think he got more out of both Jacory and SteMo than anyone else has.

The fact that he was offered an NFL OC gig and then immediately got offered a job working with Jim Harbaugh tells me what the marketplace thinks of him. I fully expect him to take a quality OC gig within the next year or two.

I really wish UM would offer a competitive salary for its coordinators so our next head coach can bring him back next year.

I personally think Jedd was not ready to be an OC. As an OC at UM he had zero rhythm. His offenses were very lackluster about half the game. The only reason why JaPicky and Snickers played well under him is because the offense was ridiculously dumbed down for both those awful QBs. I'll give Jedd some credit bc he didn't have much QB talent to work with. Overall I wouldn't want him anywhere near MIAMI again. The guy can't recruit as well. And btw-- he was **** canned from Jax...

To correct my initial post, I've since learned Fisch' actual responsibilities are passing game coordinator and quarterbacks/wide receivers coach at Michigan.

I think hes a co-OC, which what more teams are doing, he had very simple plays that worked well with mid to lower tier teams when we played the bigger teams we didnt score that much, granted he did have morris and harris as QBs

Advertisement
I've never understood the infatuation with Fisch. Snickers put up some good numbers against bad teams in a 4 game span and that was it. Offense was never consistent, just like it is now. Fisch was mediocre as a play caller.

I personally think Jedd was not ready to be an OC. As an OC at UM he had zero rhythm. His offenses were very lackluster about half the game. The only reason why JaPicky and Snickers played well under him is because the offense was ridiculously dumbed down for both those awful QBs. I'll give Jedd some credit bc he didn't have much QB talent to work with. Overall I wouldn't want him anywhere near MIAMI again. The guy can't recruit as well. And btw-- he was **** canned from Jax...

Im on the other side of that opinion. I think Jedd Fisch is a sharp guy who will have a long, solid career as a play caller. My guess is that he gets offered a quality D1 OC gig within 2 years and is back in the NFL as an OC within 5 years.

I've never understood your position on this topic.

It must just be case of "you like him, so the glass is half full".

The guy has the same position on the Michigan staff that George McDonald had on our staff. And that was likely a carrot given to him to soften the drop from his Jacksonville fall. But the reality is that he's about 3rd on the Michigan depth chart on play calling, and is 2nd on working with the QB.

Harbaugh will call the plays and coach the QBs. Their OC will game-plan and be the 2nd in command on offensive matters.

The "market" clearly says Fisch is not highly valued. Another job in the NFL would have said he had high value ... If not as an OC, as a QB coach.

Just like McDonald proved to be in over his head as an OC, I think Fisch is in a similar position. He's years away from being a top flight Power 5 OC ... And Harbaugh must share that opinion, because he didn't hire him to be his OC or QB coach.

Im on the other side of that opinion. I think Jedd Fisch is a sharp guy who will have a long, solid career as a play caller. My guess is that he gets offered a quality D1 OC gig within 2 years and is back in the NFL as an OC within 5 years.

I guess I tend to think higher of the brainiac type guys in coaching.

Comparing him to George McDonald makes me want to compare Harbaugh to James Coley. I've seen what Harbaugh did here in the bay area both at Stanford and with the 49ers. Im sure he didn't hire Jedd Fisch as a favor.

It is what it is, I guess. Time will tell if Im off base here.

The guy has the same position on the Michigan staff that George McDonald had on our staff. And that was likely a carrot given to him to soften the drop from his Jacksonville fall. But the reality is that he's about 3rd on the Michigan depth chart on play calling, and is 2nd on working with the QB.

Harbaugh will call the plays and coach the QBs. Their OC will game-plan and be the 2nd in command on offensive matters.

The "market" clearly says Fisch is not highly valued. Another job in the NFL would have said he had high value ... If not as an OC, as a QB coach.

Just like McDonald proved to be in over his head as an OC, I think Fisch is in a similar position. He's years away from being a top flight Power 5 OC ... And Harbaugh must share that opinion, because he didn't hire him to be his OC or QB coach.

Advertisement

blah blah blah

I'd take Fisch back now in a heartbeat.

He made Stephen Morris & Jacory Harris look like studs. He's a GREAT college OC.

I don't think fisch will leave michigan for any other job considering he has the opportunity to learn from not just one of the top coaches in college football, but probably one of the best coaches irrespective of sport. my guess is his next job will be as a head coach somewhere (not a top tier program obviously)

How did he make them look like "studs"?

Neither guy was all-American or all-conference 1st team.

The definition of "stud" must be different now that our team has been mediocre for over a decade ...

blah blah blah

I'd take Fisch back now in a heartbeat.

He made Stephen Morris & Jacory Harris look like studs. He's a GREAT college OC.

He made them look MILES better than they really are.

FFS People were talking all kinds of stuff about Morris after just 1 year under Fisch. He was going to be a first round pick. The articles are out there if you search for them.

Then as soon as Fisch left, Morris turned into a JAG.

Advertisement
Fisch is a quality QB coach. I admit that.

But he's MILES away from being a "GREAT OC".

He put up very pedestrian numbers against any defense that was decent.

And I remember the Stephen Morris hype. I also know he went to Jacksonville in the NFL ... And Fisch did nothing with him, because every defense in the NFL is "way above decent", using the college scale as a guide.

FFS People were talking all kinds of stuff about Morris after just 1 year under Fisch. He was going to be a first round pick. The articles are out there if you search for them.

Some of you people blow my mind. It hilarious actually. How anybody in their right mind thinks Jedd is a good OC is beyond me. The way people point to improvements of Jacory and Morris to justify Jedd as a good OC is like the way AG and Donofrio talk about how they developed Jaquan Jarrett. It's pointless and holds no water.

Like I said in the my initial post: Jedd dumbed down the playbook for Jacory and Morris. Both guys couldn't make it past their 2nd read. Both were terrible decision makers. We ran very simple plays where if option 1 wasn't open- check it down. While Jedd was here we never used the TE or the middle of the field. He was never creative in scheme and never found a rhythm.

Jedd wasnt as bad as Nix, but he was pretty bad. He was trash at Jax. And now he is a nobody on Michigans staff.

I never said Jedd was revolutionary. I said he was a great college OC which he is.

He's never had a real qb to run his show yet he still got hired by the NFL. Yes he didn't do great in the NFL because the defenses there are too good to mask the deficiencies of a Stephen Morris.

He will do big things at Michigan.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back