Mike Irvin highlights at Miami...

k9cane

Senior
this guy, Colton Denning, has a great YouTube channel, devoted to college football. Has put up compilations of various players(including Ed Reed and Andre Johnson at the U). Here's the one he did just recently on 'the Playmaker' at Miami. Irvin is one of the reasons I became a UM fanatic in the 80s. To me, it's him and Eddie Brown on my all-time Hurricanes team at WR. Nobody played with more unbridled passion and joy than 47...

Advertisement
Advertisement
73 ydr vs FSU !! Can't think of a bigger play by a WR at the U.

9:13
I liked the TD before that at FSU when he either saw his buddy or a Canes fan in the stands, pointed at him and then rolled over and high fived him. Such a solid maneuver. Watching that happen on the tube while Bert Reynolds was blabbering was priceless.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I saw a lot of Irvin whenever I watched Ahmon Richards in his freshman year. I'm not sure his career would've panned out the same, regardless of injury, with Rosier/Perry/Williams getting him the ball, but its fun to fantasize. Richard's big TD catch and run to break open the Russel Athletic Bowl looked so much like that Irvin play @ 11:02. That kid was so talented.

I liked the TD before that at FSU when he either saw his buddy or a Canes fan in the stands, pointed at him and then rolled over and high fived him. Such a solid maneuver. Watching that happen on the tube while Bert Reynolds was blabbering was priceless.

CBS showed a replay of that touchdown (that made the score 19-17) from the ground level, and you can see the Miami sideline exploding with emotion with the ball nestling into Irvin's hands. I wish I could make that into a painting. The Playmaker absolutely willed the Canes to victory that afternoon in Tally. There's a story that as Miami was down 19-3, Irvin was blocking Deion Sanders hard, and Sander said to him, 'Hey, Mike no need, this game is over." And Irvin replied, 'Oh no, Hurricanes never quit. We're in this." or something to that effect.

Jimmy Johnson wrote in one of his books that Michael Irvin became a household name in every household that cared about football.

That game sealed my Hurricanes fandom. If I recall correctly, that FSU game was voted the best game of 1987 and in many ways decided the national title. Coming off that devastating Fiesta Bowl loss the year before, I really dont know what would been of the Hurricanes the rest of the decade, and the legacy of Johnson if they dont somehow win that game (and subsequently the national title)

Advertisement
Back