Mike Archer

canefrank

Redshirt Freshman
I remember Mike Archer, was HC at LSU (horrendous record) played at Miami in the early 70s. So he must be in his 60s now. Was also an assistant coach for us I believe in the very early 80s coaching the DBs. Just remembering the name cause he was their coached when we beat them them in 1988 41-3.

He was a true cane up to the point that he left to coach at LSU, I believe as a DC, have never heard him being mention as an alumni of ours or even if he has any love or this U.

Advertisement
44-3 at Baton Rouge. Total domination. And LSU was co-SEC champ, if I recall. Played Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl.

The 1988 team was incredible.

Archer is LBs coach for the Toronto Argonauts. Coached DBs for Schnelly. Left in ‘83.

Last edited:
I remember him being NC State’s DC a few years back. I also think he was on Mike London’s staff that beat Al Golden

Mike Archer.
Born in State College PA.
Played DB and Punter at Miami from 1973-75.
Hired as head coach at LSU in 1987. He reportedly beat out Steve Spurrier, Mike Shanahan, and Mack Brown for the job.
Resigned in 1990.
Been a defensive assistant ever since.

Totally agree. It just got lost since the early 2000s, probably because many current fans (posters) never saw that team.

2001 was a great college team but don't sleep on 1988. Those were some bad men.

Advertisement
I remember Mike Archer, was HC at LSU (horrendous record) played at Miami in the early 70s. So he must be in his 60s now. Was also an assistant coach for us I believe in the very early 80s coaching the DBs. Just remembering the name cause he was their coached when we beat them them in 1988 41-3.

He was a true cane up to the point that he left to coach at LSU, I believe as a DC, have never heard him being mention as an alumni of ours or even if he has any love or this U.

He is currently a LB coach in the Canadian Football League for Toronto--

Mike Archer - Linebackers Coach - Toronto Argonauts

Mike Archer (American football) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Totally agree. It just got lost since the early 2000s, probably because many current fans (posters) never saw that team.

2001 was a great college team but don't sleep on 1988. Those were some bad men.
Weren’t the Blades Brothers, Highsmith, Bratton, and Irvin all gone by the 88 season??

Weren’t the Blades Brothers, Highsmith, Bratton, and Irvin all gone by the 88 season??
sure , but steve walsh, chud, dale dawkins, bubba, mo crum, russell maryland, tiger clark, charles pharms, bill hawkins, randall hilll, greg mark, jimmie jones, andre brown were all still on the team

Advertisement

Archer left UM when JJ came in, and that's what motivated JJ to DEMOLISH Archer's 1988 LSU team (I was at that game).

His record at LSU was not "horrendous", he had two very good years and two bad years, but his overall record was 27-18-1.

Love that 1988 team... curb stomped #1 FSU 31-0. Would have easily won title if not for the BS fumble call at ND.

It was NOT called a fumble.

Refs mistakenly thought it was 4th and goal and gave the ball to ND on downs.

LSU lost before even coming on the field. Bernard Clark had their live tiger mascot shook.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back