Michael Nwoko vs. FIU

View as article
Advertisement
Nwoko was the newcomer I was highest on coming into the season because he was physically ready for college ball from day 1.
This maybe an unpopular opinion based on production but I think Nwoko needs more minutes. UM needs a deeper bench to make another deep run and that means trusting young guys to play more minutes. I think coach L needs to consistently get Nwoko and George and Casey and Watson 10-15 minutes per game before the ACC season begins.

Advertisement
Nwoko was the newcomer I was highest on coming into the season because he was physically ready for college ball from day 1.
This maybe an unpopular opinion based on production but I think Nwoko needs more minutes. UM needs a deeper bench to make another deep run and that means trusting young guys to play more minutes. I think coach L needs to consistently get Nwoko and George and Casey and Watson 10-15 minutes per game before the ACC season begins.
Certainly should get more minutes against weaker opponents on the OOC schedule.

Right now, we seemingly have no bench. No one is doing anything and, as u say, part of that is there is apparently little to no confidence in our new guys. No one even approaching Walker's level last year.

Certainly should get more minutes against weaker opponents on the OOC schedule.

Right now, we seemingly have no bench. No one is doing anything and, as u say, part of that is there is apparently little to no confidence in our new guys. No one even approaching Walker's level last year.

Something about this Walker thought above didn’t feel right to me, so I looked. Last year Walker averaged 10.2 minutes a game. With basically one bucket a game. Right now Casey, George, and shoot I already forgot the third name, probably Nwoko [edit: it was Watson. Nwoko is at 9 minutes a game] are all averaging that many minutes apiece (I think Casey is closer to 12) with similar buckets (except for George, and man I can’t wait ‘til his shots start falling) so… yeah. I agree that we’re gonna need our bench this year but it feels like, and seems like by the numbers, that our young guys are getting at least a little bit more burn than folks might be thinking. Wished we’d put FIU away earlier so we could have seen them more.

Something about this Walker thought above didn’t feel right to me, so I looked. Last year Walker averaged 10.2 minutes a game. With basically one bucket a game. Right now Casey, George, and shoot I already forgot the third name, probably Nwoko [edit: it was Watson. Nwoko is at 9 minutes a game] are all averaging that many minutes apiece (I think Casey is closer to 12) with similar buckets (except for George, and man I can’t wait ‘til his shots start falling) so… yeah. I agree that we’re gonna need our bench this year but it feels like, and seems like by the numbers, that our young guys are getting at least a little bit more burn than folks might be thinking. Wished we’d put FIU away earlier so we could have seen them more.

Thank you. Nailed it. Walker averaged 10.2 mpg, 2.8 ppg, and 1 rebound last year.

Watson and Casey are both giving more in every category so far this season.

The issue is that a Bensley Joseph hasn’t emerged yet in the rotation. I have confidence that will happen as the season progresses.

All of Watson, Casey, and George have averaged more than 10mpg so far this year… and Nwoko is just under 10mpg. We just haven’t seen them put a 20 min 10 point performance.

I think the frustration is that when the games have tightened Coach has immediately gone back to his starting 5… because that’s who he trusts to win the game (edit: he doesn’t trust the defense of his rotation players yet).

Hopefully the rotation will get more minutes and earn more trust.

Remember that Coach L is the opposite of Calipari. Calipari lets his freshman jack up shots and let up defensively… and they hit the nba draft as almost the same player that came out of high school.

Coach L doesn’t allow that… and I believe that is a big part of why we see such tremendous development. Would anyone recognize Bensley Joseph this year from what he looked like as a freshman? Or Wooga? They are totally different players, and I believe a big part of their development is accountability and having to earn their playing time.

Players say play me more and I’ll play better.

*Good* coaches say play better and I’ll play you more.

The persistent cluelhess silliness reminds me of the Fanville commercial this year when they lose all hope after the first play of the season. Joseph's scoring is up nine points a game and Popla ris is up 12. Cleveland is two points per game better than Miller and as good or better on all other metrics. And against FIU, as has been said. the subs played substantial minutes. Miami was able to get over 80 points in its least productive game. As Rodgers would say RELAX. I think a coach with 700 plus wins has a pretty good idea of what he needs from his bench.

Advertisement
The persistent cluelhess silliness reminds me of the Fanville commercial this year when they lose all hope after the first play of the season. Joseph's scoring is up nine points a game and Popla ris is up 12. Cleveland is two points per game better than Miller and as good or better on all other metrics. And against FIU, as has been said. the subs played substantial minutes. Miami was able to get over 80 points in its least productive game. As Rodgers would say RELAX. I think a coach with 700 plus wins has a pretty good idea of what he needs from his bench.

Great comparison with Fanville. If we allow game thread takes to get to us, it’ll be a long season for us…

The beauty of the basketball team and threads like this and the media availability is that there are literally only a dozen players / coaches to get to know and follow closely…

I think the team needs maximum support… (with none of those fans posting nonsense here 😎)

Yeah, Walker had a strange career at UM. As a Soph, he averaged almost 10 ppg. Enough to have people considering him starter material going into his Jr season. Covid hit and it never happened again for him.

I don't disagree with any of the above but think the emphasis on (bench) PPG is perhaps far-fetched. Let's say Omier is out (resting/fouls) and one of Pack/Cleveland/Joseph/Wooga (resting). There's more than enough shooters still on the court to get mainstay of PPG, while these bench guys (George/Nwoko/Watson/Casey?) can just be smooth cogs "assisting "on the playwheel ...and also (hopefully) defend/rebound with some efficacy.

I wouldn't care if they almost never took a shot (and so 0 PPG), within reason, if they accomplished this for 10-15 MPG.

I don't disagree with any of the above but think the emphasis on (bench) PPG is perhaps far-fetched. Let's say Omier is out (resting/fouls) and one of Pack/Cleveland/Joseph/Wooga (resting). There's more than enough shooters still on the court to get mainstay of PPG, while these bench guys (George/Nwoko/Watson/Casey?) can just be smooth cogs "assisting "on the playwheel ...and also (hopefully) defend/rebound with some efficacy.

I wouldn't care if they almost never took a shot (and so 0 PPG), within reason, if they accomplished this for 10-15 MPG.
Good thoughts. The problem is that Coach L’s concern with his bench is much more on the defensive end than the offensive end.

When the 1s scrimmage the 2s, the 2s actually put up some points… they just don’t get any stops.

I’m hopeful to confident that things will work out just fine as the season progresses because there is some major length and athleticism in 6-9… and they can all score the basketball too.

Advertisement
Good thoughts. The problem is that Coach L’s concern with his bench is much more on the defensive end than the offensive end.

When the 1s scrimmage the 2s, the 2s actually put up some points… they just don’t get any stops.

I’m hopeful to confident that things will work out just fine as the season progresses because there is some major length and athleticism in 6-9… and they can all score the basketball too.
Not to beat a theme to death, but isn't this the typical conundrum? Most 6-9 off the bench have aspirations of starting and stardom (which tends to mean scoring). Just like a TE isn't exactly "fond" of blocking (vs. receiving) these folks we are discussing are entitled to their innermost desires but they may not match Coach L's (and our) desires, for where and what to focus on when on the court...

...we saw some hero-ball Monday (not for our betterment) and who can forget some of it in recent past (and Coach L's massive sign on the locker room wall "SHARE THE BALL!". ) I have confidence (or at least hope that) Coach L will orchestrate and choose the cast of characters to achieve this, and thank him for it.

Good to hear. Deficiencies on defense can, imo, be addressed more effectively than inability to shoot, lack of touch, whatever you wanna call it.

Bad news is many of these players practiced all last season w/out playing many minutes. You would expect their defensive shortcomings would been coached up more going into their second (or in Robinson's case, his third) seeason.

Bad news is many of these players practiced all last season w/out playing many minutes. You would expect their defensive shortcomings would been coached up more going into their second (or in Robinson's case, his third) seeason.
Maybe your "bad news" is actually more than a tad disconcerting. Playing more minutes probably can give shooting and driving confidence much more than defensive prowess and rebuilding. All the 6-9-ers have indeed played many practice minutes as squad 2 against a highly-ranked starting 5... and some of their (squad 1) offensive tricks and trades are even known to them as defenders/rebounders...

...would you think Coach L and staff tell squad 2 to defend at their maximum potential in these match-ups, and give guidance and coaching counsel accordingly to get them to their best or most capable effort? If yes (and I think its a yes) their defensive ceiling may already be reached. 10-15 minutes on the floor in some early "live" games versus other teams starting 5 may not make that much more difference then? hmmn.

Advertisement
Maybe your "bad news" is actually more than a tad disconcerting. Playing more minutes probably can give shooting and driving confidence much more than defensive prowess and rebuilding. All the 6-9-ers have indeed played many practice minutes as squad 2 against a highly-ranked starting 5... and some of their (squad 1) offensive tricks and trades are even known to them as defenders/rebounders...

...would you think Coach L and staff tell squad 2 to defend at their maximum potential in these match-ups, and give guidance and coaching counsel accordingly to get them to their best or most capable effort? If yes (and I think its a yes) their defensive ceiling may already be reached. 10-15 minutes on the floor in some early "live" games versus other teams starting 5 may not make that much more difference then? hmmn.

At this point the issue for the upperclassmen - and even Nwoko - IMHO is less about individual man up defensive ability and more about team defense, talking, helping, switching, etc… especially playing against a variety of different players and systems. Experience does help there.

Good points.

Bottom line is that right now, there is a great opportunity for all our "depth" players to "separate" themselves. The PT is definitely out there to claim their place in what optimally needs to be at least a 7 man rotation.

A few people have said that we need a 6th man like Bensley was last year - just want to be sure everyone is on the same page here:

Avg PPG last season from our bench players:

Joseph - 5.3
Beverly - 3.5
Walker - 2.8

Rough total of 11 ppg from our bench last season.

I would also say that at this point in time, Bensley is a better scoring threat than Wooga was to start last season. This starting 5 is actually more offensively capable at the same juncture of the season.

L's system and elite level scoring from starters simply does not allow for a ton of points to come from bench players. 3 of our 5 starters are going to be on the court at any given time, at minimum. That's who is gonna shoot the ball on each possession barring something probably going wrong in our offensive set.

As others have said, the 4 bench players need to contribute as much defensively as humanly possible. That's where we need them. They are all taller, longer, and for the most part more athletic. Offense will come to them as it has to Bensley.

A few people have said that we need a 6th man like Bensley was last year - just want to be sure everyone is on the same page here:

Avg PPG last season from our bench players:

Joseph - 5.3
Beverly - 3.5
Walker - 2.8

Rough total of 11 ppg from our bench last season.

I would also say that at this point in time, Bensley is a better scoring threat than Wooga was to start last season. This starting 5 is actually more offensively capable at the same juncture of the season.

L's system and elite level scoring from starters simply does not allow for a ton of points to come from bench players. 3 of our 5 starters are going to be on the court at any given time, at minimum. That's who is gonna shoot the ball on each possession barring something probably going wrong in our offensive set.

As others have said, the 4 bench players need to contribute as much defensively as humanly possible. That's where we need them. They are all taller, longer, and for the most part more athletic. Offense will come to them as it has to Bensley.
Under the radar stat from last year is that Wooga averaged 8.6 points per game over 36 games.Pretty save to say it will be higher this year.

Advertisement
Back