Miami VS UL by the Numbers

Reyrey

Sophomore
Here’s a look at some numbers of Miami Vs UL. The right column “Vs UL” is them on the other side of the ball. So points per game. Miami scores 29.0 ranking 47th and UL gives up 19.0 ranking 18th.

CategoryMiamiVs ULUL Category
Points Per Game29.0 (47th)19 (18th)Opp Points Per Game
Opp. Points per Game22.2 (38th)30.1 (42nd)Points Per Game
Total Offense YPG409.7 (43rd)315 (16th)Defense YPG
Offense Yards Per Play6.0 (32nd)4.9 (29th)Defense YPP
Pass Rating136.3 (56th)123.5 (34th) Def Pass Rating
Pass O245.2 (49th)223.3 (47th)Def Pas O
Yards Per Att7.5 (55th)7.2 (59th)Def Yards Per Att
Rush O164.4 (50th)91.7 (10th)Def Rush O
Yards per Cary4.8 (26th)3.0 (9th)Def Yards Per Cary
Red Zone O84.85% (61st)66.67 (2nd)Def Ref Zone
Sacks Allowed1.3 (20th)2.7 (28th)Def Sacks
TFL Allowed4.8 (33rd)6.2 (39th)Def TFL
Completion %63.51 (38th)55.91 (16th) Def Comp %
3rd Down O %37.93 (67th)28.57 (9th)Def 3rd down
Total Defense YPG328.9 (25th)412.7 (40th)Offense YPG
Defensive YPP4.9 (26th)6.2 (24th)Off YPP
Passer Rating122.1 (30th)154.5 (18th)Off Passer Rtg
TFL7.7 (8th)4.9 (38th)Off TFL Allowed
Sacks3.1 (11th)2.2 (71st)Off Sacks Allowed
Rush D91.9 (11th)172.1 (43rd)Rush O
Yards per Cary3.0 (6th)4.7 (35th)Off ypc
Red Zone D %86.11 (81st)76.67 (104th)Red Zone O
Pass D237 (74th)240.6 (55th)Pass O
Yards Per Attempt7.1 (51st)8.9 (18th)Off ypa
Completion %55.63 (12th)65.02 (27th)Off Completion%
3rd Down D %33.59 (25th)
35.85 (85th)
Off 3rd Down
Penalty Yards Per Game66 (120th)50.6 (66th)Penalty Yards perfect game
Avg TOP31:49 (22nd)31:2 (34th)Avg TOP
Turnover Margin-.6 (106th)+.6 (24th)Turnover Margin
FG%86.36 (19th)70 (85th)FG %
Avg Scoring Margin+6.8 (34th)+11.1 (21st)Avg Scoring Margin

Big game for the Canes, obviously. I think this game has such big impacts for the off-season and momentum going into the recruiting and portal and etc. Despite last weeks loss, there doesn’t seem to be this negative energy around the team and recruiting like previously. Almost like a TBD. Well, Saturday is perfect chance to make a statement and say “progress is still very much real”. Louisville is a top 10 team. And by the numbers, they do a lot of things good. But make no mistake about it. We can win this game. Vegas seems to thinks so too. As of 11/14, the line is Miami +1. I’ve seen +2 and a pickem. All the analytics show this as a pickem essentially. 1 interesting nugget, from what I have seen, the vast majority of the money and bets are on Louisville. Around 90%. Top 10 team playing 6-4 Miami and only 1 point favorite?! That’s fishy. Vegas doesn’t loose money, do as you will with that info.

For Louisville, defensively, they are similar to us and our 2 recent opponents (NCSU, FSU) but the numbers. I do think they present more opportunities for our Offense than the others in a few areas. Specially through the air. They should be easier to pass around than FSU and NC State. Specifically in big plays. Their rush D is top 10. But I said this in other breakdowns, I don’t worry about our rush offense. We should be able to move the ball, the key will be our balance of the two. The biggest areas where we will be challenged and need to step up are in the red zone and 3rd down. Need to stay ahead of schedule. If we are in 3rd and longs all afternoon, expect a long day. 2nd in the nation in red zone defense. Dawson and Co need to copy and paste AM red zone game plan.

On offense, they are a good unit. More so through the air. A lot of chunk plays. I think where we can find success is making them be a more methodical offense. They struggle on 3rd down (85th). They are 71st in the country in sacks allowed and one of the worst in the country in the red zone and FG%. If we eliminate long touchdowns, which we have all year, they need to grind out drives and convert in the redzone or FG. The numbers show they are not great in doing so.

Louisville without the Numbers
Louisville SOS and Home/Away. They have played a lighter schedule. Their toughest games were to ND and a Duke team with Leonard on 1 foot. Both at home. In fact, Lousiville has only played 2 true road games. At NC State. And At Pitt. The were down 10 at half to NC State and came back to win with 13 unanswered (13-10). They gave up 24 unanswered to Pitt in the second half and lost 38-21. Common opponents, it took a 17-3 4th quarter against UVA to win by a touchdown. GT was the first game of the year so not holding too much weight. But, that also took a fourth quarter comeback to win by 5. The moral of the story here, they are without a doubt beatable, especially on the road where the are unproven. Another nugget, Miami has one of the better scoring margins in the 4th quarter in all of football.

The elephant in the room
You guessed it, TVD. I’m not discussing if him or JB was that right move. That’s arbitrary and up for personal debate. What’s not, the weight this game has for TVD and his career. If the kid wants to play competitive football at a high level, it’s most likely not here in 24. But I can almost guarantee, these last couple games will impact where he plays. I’m not at all holding my breath or saying we get early season TVD. But I won’t over look that underlying factor and how it may motivate him personally. A lot of QBs across the country have taken a seat on the bench and come back in to be productive players. I’m not saying he’s these players, he’s not. But Milroe, Bean at Kansas, Armstrong at NC State, the UVA freshman in an out of the line up. There’s a lot of these scenarios. What happened to Tyler can be Humbling. Let’s see how he responds. Will he throw for 300 and 4 TD and 0 int. No. But if he is serviceable and doesn’t turn it over 5 times, I think we all agree we could have won every game we played here. Let’s see how that shakes out. We will know early.

Key Factors
- Offensively, broken record of not turning it over, but that’s a given. TVD, JB, a walk on, whoever, we have to make plays in the air. Our WR are not elite, but good. We have seen JG and Young make big plays. Have to take shots. Let the run game do what it’s been doing, but mix in shots. It’s not like we aren’t capable, we are. We have to do it. We need to play complimentary on offense. Last chance to get recruits to the game. They see the same stuff we see. If they see some more creativity, deep shots, spreading the ball, that will go miles in recruiting. No reason to hold anything back now.
-Defensivly, eliminate big touchdowns. We have done good in those regards. Pressure the qb and make them turn out long methodical drives. They aren’t good on 3rd down, aren’t good in the red zone, and don’t convert FG effectively. They don’t have big touchdowns, they don’t hit 30.
- Team. Continue the progress. I mentioned it in here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/key-stats-heading-into-lousiville.188588/post-6888842
But we have to create momentum. Have to bounce back and have things roll our way. The team has responded and fought hard multiples times. Saturday is no different and expect the team to continue to show that culture and fight growth. But have to find a way to win.

A win against a top 10 team, on the national landscape, now at 7-4, will write a lot of wrongs from this season. It’s about as “must win” as it gets. No more moral victories. The fans know what we need for the roster for 2024. The coaches do to. The best way to get it, a win on a Saturday.

Canes 27-24.

Advertisement
Good job OP.

As you highlighted, the key here is that they’re a top 10 defense against the run. It might be tough sledding at times as they run blitz and create numerical advantages in the box, while we refuse to spread the defense out and continue to run in obvious formations. They also have an elite red zone defense.

It’ll be up to TVD and the defense to win us this game. I have plenty of faith in the latter, not so much in the former. They have the coaching advantage as well.

Lackluster crowd for sure. Tight first half, the Cardinals separate in the second half.

30-19 Louisville.

common opponents

GT vs UL
34-39
GTvs Miami
23-20

@NCSt vs UL
10-13
@NCSt vs Miami
20-6

UVA vs UL
24-31
UVA vs Miami
26-29

ppg
22.6 to 27.6 UL
23 to 18.3 Miami

UL turns it over on the road: 3 per game so far.
IMO, it comes down to two things:
1. Miami forcing UL to pass. Can we contain Jordan and Guerendo? Can we shade Thrash and force Plumber into multiple INTs with some pressure? Sacks will happen if we can stop the run game.

2. Miami doing anything on O without turning it over a bunch.

Advertisement
Here’s a look at some numbers of Miami Vs UL. The right column “Vs UL” is them on the other side of the ball. So points per game. Miami scores 29.0 ranking 47th and UL gives up 19.0 ranking 18th.

CategoryMiamiVs ULUL Category
Points Per Game29.0 (47th)19 (18th)Opp Points Per Game
Opp. Points per Game22.2 (38th)30.1 (42nd)Points Per Game
Total Offense YPG409.7 (43rd)315 (16th)Defense YPG
Offense Yards Per Play6.0 (32nd)4.9 (29th)Defense YPP
Pass Rating136.3 (56th)123.5 (34th)Def Pass Rating
Pass O245.2 (49th)223.3 (47th)Def Pas O
Yards Per Att7.5 (55th)7.2 (59th)Def Yards Per Att
Rush O164.4 (50th)91.7 (10th)Def Rush O
Yards per Cary4.8 (26th)3.0 (9th)Def Yards Per Cary
Red Zone O84.85% (61st)66.67 (2nd)Def Ref Zone
Sacks Allowed1.3 (20th)2.7 (28th)Def Sacks
TFL Allowed4.8 (33rd)6.2 (39th)Def TFL
Completion %63.51 (38th)55.91 (16th)Def Comp %
3rd Down O %37.93 (67th)28.57 (9th)Def 3rd down
Total Defense YPG328.9 (25th)412.7 (40th)Offense YPG
Defensive YPP4.9 (26th)6.2 (24th)Off YPP
Passer Rating122.1 (30th)154.5 (18th)Off Passer Rtg
TFL7.7 (8th)4.9 (38th)Off TFL Allowed
Sacks3.1 (11th)2.2 (71st)Off Sacks Allowed
Rush D91.9 (11th)172.1 (43rd)Rush O
Yards per Cary3.0 (6th)4.7 (35th)Off ypc
Red Zone D %86.11 (81st)76.67 (104th)Red Zone O
Pass D237 (74th)240.6 (55th)Pass O
Yards Per Attempt7.1 (51st)8.9 (18th)Off ypa
Completion %55.63 (12th)65.02 (27th)Off Completion%
3rd Down D %33.59 (25th)
35.85 (85th)
Off 3rd Down
Penalty Yards Per Game66 (120th)50.6 (66th)Penalty Yards perfect game
Avg TOP31:49 (22nd)31:2 (34th)Avg TOP
Turnover Margin-.6 (106th)+.6 (24th)Turnover Margin
FG%86.36 (19th)70 (85th)FG %
Avg Scoring Margin+6.8 (34th)+11.1 (21st)Avg Scoring Margin

Big game for the Canes, obviously. I think this game has such big impacts for the off-season and momentum going into the recruiting and portal and etc. Despite last weeks loss, there doesn’t seem to be this negative energy around the team and recruiting like previously. Almost like a TBD. Well, Saturday is perfect chance to make a statement and say “progress is still very much real”. Louisville is a top 10 team. And by the numbers, they do a lot of things good. But make no mistake about it. We can win this game. Vegas seems to thinks so too. As of 11/14, the line is Miami +1. I’ve seen +2 and a pickem. All the analytics show this as a pickem essentially. 1 interesting nugget, from what I have seen, the vast majority of the money and bets are on Louisville. Around 90%. Top 10 team playing 6-4 Miami and only 1 point favorite?! That’s fishy. Vegas doesn’t loose money, do as you will with that info.

For Louisville, defensively, they are similar to us and our 2 recent opponents (NCSU, FSU) but the numbers. I do think they present more opportunities for our Offense than the others in a few areas. Specially through the air. They should be easier to pass around than FSU and NC State. Specifically in big plays. Their rush D is top 10. But I said this in other breakdowns, I don’t worry about our rush offense. We should be able to move the ball, the key will be our balance of the two. The biggest areas where we will be challenged and need to step up are in the red zone and 3rd down. Need to stay ahead of schedule. If we are in 3rd and longs all afternoon, expect a long day. 2nd in the nation in red zone defense. Dawson and Co need to copy and paste AM red zone game plan.

On offense, they are a good unit. More so through the air. A lot of chunk plays. I think where we can find success is making them be a more methodical offense. They struggle on 3rd down (85th). They are 71st in the country in sacks allowed and one of the worst in the country in the red zone and FG%. If we eliminate long touchdowns, which we have all year, they need to grind out drives and convert in the redzone or FG. The numbers show they are not great in doing so.

Louisville without the Numbers
Louisville SOS and Home/Away. They have played a lighter schedule. Their toughest games were to ND and a Duke team with Leonard on 1 foot. Both at home. In fact, Lousiville has only played 2 true road games. At NC State. And At Pitt. The were down 10 at half to NC State and came back to win with 13 unanswered (13-10). They gave up 24 unanswered to Pitt in the second half and lost 38-21. Common opponents, it took a 17-3 4th quarter against UVA to win by a touchdown. GT was the first game of the year so not holding too much weight. But, that also took a fourth quarter comeback to win by 5. The moral of the story here, they are without a doubt beatable, especially on the road where the are unproven. Another nugget, Miami has one of the better scoring margins in the 4th quarter in all of football.

The elephant in the room
You guessed it, TVD. I’m not discussing if him or JB was that right move. That’s arbitrary and up for personal debate. What’s not, the weight this game has for TVD and his career. If the kid wants to play competitive football at a high level, it’s most likely not here in 24. But I can almost guarantee, these last couple games will impact where he plays. I’m not at all holding my breath or saying we get early season TVD. But I won’t over look that underlying factor and how it may motivate him personally. A lot of QBs across the country have taken a seat on the bench and come back in to be productive players. I’m not saying he’s these players, he’s not. But Milroe, Bean at Kansas, Armstrong at NC State, the UVA freshman in an out of the line up. There’s a lot of these scenarios. What happened to Tyler can be Humbling. Let’s see how he responds. Will he throw for 300 and 4 TD and 0 int. No. But if he is serviceable and doesn’t turn it over 5 times, I think we all agree we could have won every game we played here. Let’s see how that shakes out. We will know early.

Key Factors
- Offensively, broken record of not turning it over, but that’s a given. TVD, JB, a walk on, whoever, we have to make plays in the air. Our WR are not elite, but good. We have seen JG and Young make big plays. Have to take shots. Let the run game do what it’s been doing, but mix in shots. It’s not like we aren’t capable, we are. We have to do it. We need to play complimentary on offense. Last chance to get recruits to the game. They see the same stuff we see. If they see some more creativity, deep shots, spreading the ball, that will go miles in recruiting. No reason to hold anything back now.
-Defensivly, eliminate big touchdowns. We have done good in those regards. Pressure the qb and make them turn out long methodical drives. They aren’t good on 3rd down, aren’t good in the red zone, and don’t convert FG effectively. They don’t have big touchdowns, they don’t hit 30.
- Team. Continue the progress. I mentioned it in here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/key-stats-heading-into-lousiville.188588/post-6888842
But we have to create momentum. Have to bounce back and have things roll our way. The team has responded and fought hard multiples times. Saturday is no different and expect the team to continue to show that culture and fight growth. But have to find a way to win.

A win against a top 10 team, on the national landscape, now at 7-4, will write a lot of wrongs from this season. It’s about as “must win” as it gets. No more moral victories. The fans know what we need for the roster for 2024. The coaches do to. The best way to get it, a win on a Saturday.

Canes 27-24.
Haven’t done this much but I have us Winning this game

common opponents

GT vs UL
34-39
GTvs Miami
23-20

@NCSt vs UL
10-13
@NCSt vs Miami
20-6

UVA vs UL
24-31
UVA vs Miami
26-29

ppg
22.6 to 27.6 UL
23 to 18.3 Miami

1. Miami forcing UL to pass. Can we contain Jordan and Guerendo? Can we shade Thrash and force Plumber into multiple INTs with some pressure? Sacks will happen if we can stop the run game.

I would say if Louisville turns it over 2 times Miami wins by 10

This game shouldve had a packed rock, "rivalry game" dam near top 10 opponent, last home game of season.. Will probably end up as least attended game of year, yes even less than Miami (oh)

Sucks as game will be on national tv

We’re winning this game.

TVD just can’t throw it to red 4 times. Dawson has to get his a good first drive to build confidence.

Advertisement
common opponents

GT vs UL
34-39
GTvs Miami
23-20

@NCSt vs UL
10-13
@NCSt vs Miami
20-6

UVA vs UL
24-31
UVA vs Miami
26-29

ppg
22.6 to 27.6 UL
23 to 18.3 Miami

Focus on their run and make Plummer beat you.

That means do your job, Kam!!

Open offense up. Quit playing not to lose and play to win. Have more than 3 recievers on pass plays. Speed up so tvd does not have time to think. Spead the offense out and make them defend the whole field. Join the 21st century on offense. Do that we will win. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Advertisement

Shocked but we're not only favored in Vegas but also on ESPN analytics
Bigger money is on the canes. Usually sharps.
D54B67E5-0651-48F8-BFC1-B9769F1F37CD.jpeg

Advertisement
I'm just wondering why Brohm didn't need 3, 4, 5 years to get his guys in?

I'm not worried at all about talent in this game. I'm worried about being out coached

I'm just wondering why Brohm didn't need 3, 4, 5 years to get his guys in?

I'm not worried at all about talent in this game. I'm worried about being out coached
I hear yea. Brohm took over an 8-5 team. He is an offensive coach. The transition for him at lousiville is much easier than Mario. I.e a complete roster and culture overhaul. Louisville is also benefiting from an easier schedule.

At the end of the day everyone expected better results. Fans, the team, and coaches included. We all expected TVD to play better. He regressed a ton. If he plays at an avg level, we are probably 9-1. And this is a different conversation. Coaching, QB, and etc isn’t black and white for what’s wrong and a fix.

The most important position in football is playing like dog water, and that makes coaching 10x harder. The pieces outside of QB are all trending really well and developing and getting better.

This game shouldve had a packed rock, "rivalry game" dam near top 10 opponent, last home game of season.. Will probably end up as least attended game of year, yes even less than Miami (oh)

Sucks as game will be on national tv
National TV , definitely not good Cardinals looking at ACCG who has an excellent shot in beating Lady Luck noles.
I really don’t think our O has the perseverance to fight very long in this one .

We’ll close up shop early being flat , we left everything at noles last week and frankly LU is probably pretty excited TVD is starting in getting some D stats piled up for rankings.

The is a ranking game for LU they’ll be pumped to .

42-17 Cardinals worse, our finally our D just can’t take it anymore

GOCANES

I could see us winning this game. Louisville’s gotta be the most overrated Top Ten team, right behind FSU. Would be a **** of a win, and gives you a shot at 8-4 to finish the year. But, and it’s a big but, you need TVD to be half decent, and that’s a big ask right now.

Advertisement
Back