Miami vs UCF

****. Just needed a single there and that would have been a ridiculous comeback. Hopefully that's it for Gates on the mound this year. Just let him focus on being DH because his command just isnt there.

Bigger picture is the same though as it would have been if we won. We need to finish 4th or better in the ACC which means we need take at least 2 from Wake and then 2 from Duke. Do that and we'll be in good shape. Anything less and we'll probably have to win the ACCT (or at least make the championship game) to host

Advertisement
Fell a few spots in RPI but still in hosting range. Also FSU got no hit by Stetson tonight lmao. There RPI is down in the 60s now

Advertisement
70 errors on the year, 28 in ACC play is inexcusable for any program in the state of Florida!!! I mean 70,
wow! You cannot cannot win playing this terrible in the field. Sad part is I have seen zero improvement, maybe they need a sports shrink.

1F6117A7-EB9F-4571-B910-F8BB19CC0741.jpeg

Semper Canes!!!

Errors literally cost us this game.
Very true. Even clawing back Lala's bobble in CF in the 7th would have saved us a run.

Lala and Vilar didn't produce much at the top of the lineup last night either. Combined 1-9 with a walk and 2 K's. Both K's were by Vilar in key moments down the stretch where he looked fooled and overpowered. Might be seeing some of the dreaded Freshman wall being hit by both guys. Hopefully it doesn't last too long, they've both been key this year.

70 errors on the year, 28 in ACC play is inexcusable for any program in the state of Florida!!! I mean 70,
wow! You cannot cannot win playing this terrible in the field. Sad part is I have seen zero improvement, maybe they need a sports shrink.

View attachment 84887

Semper Canes!!!
Well, we do make the play 961 times out of 1000.
smh

Advertisement
To put our horrible fielding in perspective, 70 errors means our opponents have had in excess of 23 extra innings of offense this season. The ACC leaders have given opponents an extra 11 innings of offense. That means our opponents this season have gotten more than 1 complete game of extra at bats beyond what NC State, Louisville and Virginia have faced. It's actually remarkable that we are still very much in the mix for a regional host with fielding that is so horrendous.

Gotta love Lovelady, his comment was to the effect of "we beat a regional hosting team" or something to that effect, he's still a Cane deep down.

here's how many times you should lose each season, scoring that many runs in a game:

ZERO!
NADA!
ZILCH!
NONE!

There is no excuse to plate that many runs over 9 innings, and walk out of the stadium with a loss.

What is that based on? Your "gut"?

UCLA leads the country in ERA. How many games do you think they've lost this year when scoring 7? (Looking only at 9 inning games)

ONE!
UNO!
NOT ZERO!
MORE THAN NONE!

FYI, it took me about 3 minutes to Google the national ERA leader, then to Google UCLA baseball schedule, and then to scroll through their schedule. But you preferred to just throw out some unresearched nonsense than to spend 3 minutes validating your hypothesis.

UCLA leads the country in ERA. How many games do you think they've lost this year when scoring 7? (Looking only at 9 inning games)

ONE!
UNO!
NOT ZERO!
MORE THAN NONE!

FYI, it took me about 3 minutes to Google the national ERA leader, then to Google UCLA baseball schedule, and then to scroll through their schedule. But you preferred to just throw out some unresearched nonsense than to spend 3 minutes validating your hypothesis.

He said you shouldn't lose a game when you score 7 runs. He isn't wrong. I'm sure UCLA would tell you that they should not have lost to Arizona State.

Advertisement
He said you shouldn't lose a game when you score 7 runs. He isn't wrong. I'm sure UCLA would tell you that they should not have lost to Arizona State.

No, he said you shouldn't lose a game the ENTIRE SEASON when scoring 7 runs. That's not realistic.

It's baseball. You can't overreact to a single game (especially one where none of your best 6-7 pitchers pitches). Had he said you shouldn't lose more than 2-3 games the entire season when scoring 7, that would've been a much more defensible statement.

View attachment 84887

Semper Canes!!!

We're 3rd in the ACC in hitting, 2nd in ERA. With even average fielding we'd be talking about a possibly a top-8 seed.

Still fielding better than the 2008 team though lol (.958 in 2008). That team might never have lost a game if they could have fielded.

We're 3rd in the ACC in hitting, 2nd in ERA. With even average fielding we'd be talking about a possibly a top-8 seed.

Still fielding better than the 2008 team though lol (.958 in 2008). That team might never have lost a game if they could have fielded.

I had no idea the 08 team fielded so poorly....until Omaha. I remember Ryan Jackson was money at SS.

Advertisement

ONE!
UNO!
NOT ZERO!
MORE THAN NONE!

obviously, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm saying it shouldn't.

obviously, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i'm saying it shouldn't.

I guess the people in this thread don't really understand probabilities. If something happens occasionally, even if it's undesirable, then it "should" still happen.

Ex1: let's say you operate a factory and the industry standard is that for a factory of that type/size, there are 10 accidents a year. If in 1 year you have only 2 accidents, that's a good outcome. Those accidents "shouldn't" have happened, I guess, but you'd be an idiot if you fired the plant manager because he/she had 2 accidents. If you worked for me, and you fired the plant manager, I would fire you.

Ex2: a pro basketball player "shouldn't" miss FTs. They're wide open, they're relatively close to the basket, and they've shots 10s of thousands of FTs in their lives. Yet they miss them 25% of the time.

Expectations need to be calibrated to a certain threshold or tolerance. Your expectations are poorly calibrated if you expect teams to be undefeated when scoring 7 runs.

Advertisement
Back