Miami vs Penn Game Preview

View as article

PhilWood

Premium
The Miami Hurricanes (5-3) looks to stop 3 game skid, when they travel to Penn to take on the Quakers (6-2).

On Saturday, the Canes suffered a terrible 2nd half home collapse against an average Yale Bulldogs team, marking Miami’s third loss in as many tries. After a promising 5-0 start, the
Canes will look to right the ship against another Ivy League foe in UPenn.

Heading into the Championship game of the Wooden Legacy, the Canes looked to be in really good shape. Zach Johnson had just hit a game winner against Fresno State, a team that didn’t have nearly as far to travel for the tournament in Fullerton, California, and the stage was set for the Canes to take on the biggest challenge in their non-conference schedule: the Seton Hall Pirates.

Even after the heartbreaking two-point loss to Seton Hall, all hope was not lost. While the Pirates currently hold the worst record in the Big East, it was still a neutral court defeat to a team that is poised to spring at least one or two upsets in conference play. Miami was still playing without Dewan Hernandez and were still learning to play together as a cohesive bunch. With back-to-back home games against inferior opponents next up on the schedule, the Canes looked capable of bouncing back and heading into their next road contest on a two-game winning streak.

Except they’re not.

November 23 and 5-0 feels like a long time ago for the Canes, who have lost three straight, including two home games to Rutgers and Yale. Yes, the Yale game was at the American Airlines Arena, but that still seems like a home game to me. While the Rutgers loss is excusable, as they look poised to be a surprise team in the Big Ten this season, blowing a 10-point halftime lead to Yale is simply not okay.

Now the Canes travel to Penn to take on a Quakers team picked to finish 2nd in the Ivy League. The Canes will have to slow down the Quakers well rounded scoring attack that features six players averaging over 6 points per game. Devon Goodman and AJ Brodeur lead the way averaging 15.1 and 12 points per game respectively.

If the Canes are going to win, they’re going to need to get better on the glass where they have yet to take advantage of the size of their front line. In two of their three losses, the Canes have been outrebounded by their opponents, and they only outrebounded Rutgers by 3. This all starts with Ebuka Izundu, who, since his 19-rebound game against Stephen F Austin, has only recorded double-digit rebounds once.

With the status of Dewan Hernandez still unknown, this is a game Miami absolutely needs. It’s not going to be easy, but they need to find a way, or see their chances in March already dimming.

Advertisement
What some of you calling this out of conference schedule weak will not admit is we were going to win these games and our RPI would be effected. And instead it has exposed us . Where are you guys now.

Guess we’ll see how the team responds.

CL has been looking more like Quan lately. Hopefully it’s just a temporary funk.

We don’t win this game if we freelance and rely on jump shots.

Advertisement
What some of you calling this out of conference schedule weak will not admit is we were going to win these games and our RPI would be effected. And instead it has exposed us . Where are you guys now.

What is worse, losing to ****** teams or losing to decent teams?

wtf is espn+

can I watch this loss on the app?
It’s a new subscription service ESPN started in April. It’s $5 per month, but they have a one week free trial. It’s available in the ESPN app on most devices.

Advertisement
It’s a new subscription service ESPN started in April. It’s $5 per month, but they have a one week free trial. It’s available in the ESPN app on most devices.
Usually something on ESPN+ pay-service is also shown for free on standard WatchESPN, if you have a sponsoring cable TV provider. Most big names (DirecTV, Comcast) qualify you.

To the right of the ESPN+ pull-down menu (tab, button) it says WATCH. If you click that and select Schedule and Replays you can see the games "available"... and they may further says ACCNet, ESPN3, or ESPNU or such.

I find it randomly spotty; I may have to sign in to DirecTV or use the ESPN app on my mobile device, to get it to work sometimes (there, or on my PC via WiFi to the web.) At times I have to surf to ACCNet site, or reboot and clear cookies and close and re-close DirecTV sessions. But 100% of the time I have succeeded (eventually)… currently with DirecTV and before that with COMCAST.

Usually something on ESPN+ pay-service is also shown for free on standard WatchESPN, if you have a sponsoring cable TV provider. Most big names (DirecTV, Comcast) qualify you.

To the right of the ESPN+ pull-down menu (tab, button) it says WATCH. If you click that and select Schedule and Replays you can see the games "available"... and they may further says ACCNet, ESPN3, or ESPNU or such.

I find it randomly spotty; I may have to sign in to DirecTV or use the ESPN app on my mobile device, to get it to work sometimes (there, or on my PC via WiFi to the web.) At times I have to surf to ACCNet site, or reboot and clear cookies and close and re-close DirecTV sessions. But 100% of the time I have succeeded (eventually)… currently with DirecTV and before that with COMCAST.

Not anymore. ESPN+ just started this year. If it is on espn+ it will only be on that app and its 5$ per month. I didn't bother buying it because it usually has games like FAMU vs Bethune Cookman on it. It is painfully embarrassing one of our games is on it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Zach Johnson not in yet. Wonder if he is hurt or Miami decided to sit him so the NCAA could review his eligibility.

Advertisement
Back