Miami vs. FIU

Lance Roffers

Junior
Curiously, Mediavilla gets the start tonight after relieving over the weekend. The first inning issues continue for him as he gives up a single followed by a 2-run HR to make it 2-0 FIU.

Freddy Zamora has Miami's lone hit thus far through 2.

Advertisement
Another HR makes it 3-0 FIU. I don't have the answer for mid-week starter, but I'm afraid Mediavilla has proven that he is a reliever, and not a starter.

Bot 4 still 3-0 FIU and Miami hasn't threatened at all. One hit, two walks, one of the walks was erased when Burns was caught stealing.

Miami hasn't hit a single ball in the air. Joey Votto once said, "If I hit a ground ball, it's an accident." Ground balls and strikeouts is the quickest way to struggle offensively and unfortunately, that's what Miami is doing at the plate.

The starter for Florida International has now thrown 14 innings and allowed zero runs, seven walks, 20 strikeouts, while allowing only one extra base hit. Whoa.

Florida International needs to be moving this guy into their weekend rotation soon.

Advertisement
Jenkins single with one out in the 5th, Quinones doubles him home. Then Escala doubles him home. Burns flies out and Cloonan strikes out looking to end the inning, but the Canes are back in it at 3-2.

Mediavilla has really settled in, but the problem remains the 1st inning struggles which set the tone for the team to have to come from behind repeatedly.

He got a weekend start against Missouri. I wonder if they slid him to midweek specifically to line him up for this game.

I think it's smart if they did. I'd absolutely put more weight on my mid-week games than my Sunday starts if I were a mid-major.

Advertisement
I think it's smart if they did. I'd absolutely put more weight on my mid-week games than my Sunday starts if I were a mid-major.

I guess they have to measure the impact of conference tournament seeding vs. chances of an at-large bid. If their only prayer is to get in with a strong conference finish, then that Sunday game becomes more important. I'll bet we see Macdonald back on the weekends once they play Charlotte.

Zamora doubles to push Perez (who walked) to 3B and a wild pitch brings him home and we are all tied at 3!

Runner on 3B with one out.

I guess they have to measure the impact of conference tournament seeding vs. chances of an at-large bid. If their only prayer is to get in with a strong conference finish, then that Sunday game becomes more important. I'll bet we see Macdonald back on the weekends once they play Charlotte.

In Conference USA they absolutely have the chance at an at-large with nice mid-week wins.

Coaches always look at conference first though. It's just their nature.

The struck out looking blues strike again for Jenkins and Quinones to strand the runner.

At some point, you're going to need to try a squeeze with Jenkins speed, or another avenue with a runner on 3B and less than two outs.

Tied at 3, bottom 6th.

Advertisement
FIU shows Miami how to play small ball with a leadoff double in the 6th and two fly outs to score the run.

4-3 FIU top 8.

Romy, in particular, is really struggling with an 0-4 night with 3 K's. Cloonan, even worse, with an 0-4 and 4 K's night.

13 more K's for the Canes tonight.

Advertisement
In Conference USA they absolutely have the chance at an at-large with nice mid-week wins.

They’re not wrong. A poor conference finish will trump a good RPI. And FIU’s midweek schedule sucks. Winning a couple of games against Miami (FL) won’t help if they blow Sunday games and finish 8th in the conference.

FYI, Conference USA picked up one at-large bid last year, and that was the team that finished #1 in the regular season conference standings. FIU isn't getting into anything without winning the conference.

The saddest thing about the state of our baseball program just hit me this morning. I used to live for these midweek games. I couldn't wait to get off work and find a stream or a radio station broadcasting it. They got me through the week and gave me something to look forward to seeing as I don't particularly care for professional sports outside of how it effects my fantasy teams.

And yesterday I literally forgot we had a game. Not "was mad, bitter, etc. and refused to watch" or anything of the nature. This team has fallen so far that I literally didn't even know we had a game last night until I saw the score on social media this morning.

Advertisement
Back