Miami visits Holley twice in Spring

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Last month we had a story on Lincoln High School (NY) DT Thomas Holley and highlighted his transition to the football field from the basketball court (http://canesinsight.com/threads/52356-Rising-Star-Holley-likes-Miami-early?highlight=thomas+holley). The athletic defensive tackle prospect has been using this Spring to continue working on honing his technique.

“It’s been going really good from what my coaches have been saying, were actually ahead of schedule. I’ve 100% been improving just working hard everyday and capitalizing on every second I have to work on my pass-rush and hands. It’s tiring, but worth it,” said Holley.

Something that has kept Holley going hard has been college coaches constantly dropping in on his practices.

“To me, it means I’ve created a brand for myself that I need to maintain and improve on. The way I look at it is motivation. I’m always working hard, but when I see a coach that means I have to go the extra mile because they’re there to see a product that they want to build on.”

Miami and Notre Dame have come to check out Holley twice, while other top programs have taken a look as well.

“Notre Dame and Miami have come twice. Some other schools I’m not sure about because they talk to my coach, but I know Clemson, Rutgers, Penn State, North Carolina State, Alabama, and some others have come.”

Holley expanded on what Miami coaches have been conveying to his coaches.

“Coach Franklin came up and another coach, but I don’t remember who it was. They can only talk to my coaches, but they’ve been telling them about the campus and how they think I’ll fit in with the big city environment like in New York. They have great academics and great football.”

Although he’s used to the everyday hustle of a big city, it’s not necessarily something that Holley is set on when he chooses a school.

“I’ll go anywhere as long as I feel comfortable. I know I will have to live there for the next 3 to 4 years so I’m open to anything, I just have to be comfortable there.”

Holley is still planning a trip to Florida to check out the big three of Miami, Florida, and Florida State.

“I think I’m going to be doing it towards the end of June.”

Miami Head Coach Al Golden reached out to Holley this month and the rising prospect shared what Golden was telling him.

“I spoke to him earlier in the month and he told me how fired up he is about me and how excited he was that they were recruiting me. He said I could help them out and do big things for them.”

Advertisement
“Coach Franklin came up and another coach, but I don’t remember who it was.
:ibisroflmao::ibisroflmao::ibisroflmao::ibisroflmao:

301.jpg

Clark, Holley and Stuckey would be a monster haul. Love the kid's work ethic; he'll be a great fit in AG's program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We need four ready to play DT's in this recruiting cycle.

DTs straight out of HS are never ready play guys. Guys like Stuckey are, though.

Some are, Clark may be that exception.

Let's face the reality. DT's can all play out of high school, but for them to play well there is a learning and adjustment period. When they hit college, they are no longer the biggest, strongest guy around. Suddenly, and often for the first time in their young lives, everyone blocks them, and they can't figure out why.
Takes time to grow both physically and mentally.

Advertisement
We need four ready to play DT's in this recruiting cycle.

DTs straight out of HS are never ready play guys. Guys like Stuckey are, though.

Some are, Clark may be that exception.

Let's face the reality. DT's can all play out of high school, but for them to play well there is a learning and adjustment period. When they hit college, they are no longer the biggest, strongest guy around. Suddenly, and often for the first time in their young lives, everyone blocks them, and they can't figure out why.
Takes time to grow both physically and mentally.

Which is why a large majority of DT's need some time to get stronger and learn to handle stronger interior lineman in college. There are very few Tommy Harri's out there, kids that can impact the game that much as a true freshman. most of the time they're like Earl More and D. Ivery, young pups that get pushed around. Not sure if Clark has that type of ability, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

There's also just a toughness bar you have to get over as a freshman at DT. Most of the interior linemen you go up against are going to be 4th or 5th year guys, as interior OL is not a glamor position and generally they don't leave early for the draft. That means as an 18 year old you are matching up against 22-23 year old men who have been doing this for a while.

Advertisement
Back