Miami very low in portal defections

Advertisement
On offense, all they really need is Sam Howell and one good receiver. The rest are just there for decoration or so I'm told.
If I was Sam Howell's left arm I would transfer immediately. His right arm is getting all the publicity -- and for good reason -- but his left is good enough to start at most P5 schools, from what I've been told.

I love how not a single poster has provided even a hypothesis to the OP's very reasonable question of why UM has had so few transfers when the rest of college sports, outside of Stanford, is an open transfer wound.
I'll put in my completely ignorant 2 cents, but **** at least I'm trying.

Diaz is honest with the kids in the program, about football, about the school and about life.

As an aside, my nephew played basketball at Indiana for Tom Crean. Nephew was a McDonald's high school All-American and led the Big 10 in scoring as a freshman. Nephew can ball and is making good money now in Europe. Anyways, Crean is an amazing recruiter because he convinces every recruit that they are going to the NBA if they play for him just like Dwayne Wade and Victor Oladipo.
Their team was completely dysfunctional because every player was convinced that the only things preventing him from making the NBA were his teammates who didn't pass him the ball enough or the coach who didn't give him enough minutes. The players disliked and did not trust each other. Crean's strategy leads to highly recruited players who hate their team, coach and school. Had the transfer portal been open my nephew and most of his team would have left IU.

All that to say that many good recruiters are good recruiters because they sell a lot of bull****. And that works until it's time to play.
Again, my completely ignorant and clueless answer to the original question is that Manny lies LESS than most other coaches in recruiting so kids buy into their roles on the team.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Advertisement
I love how not a single poster has provided even a hypothesis to the OP's very reasonable question of why UM has had so few transfers when the rest of college sports, outside of Stanford, is an open transfer wound.

Diaz is honest with the kids in the program, about football, about the school and about life.

As an aside, my nephew played basketball at Indiana for Tom Crean. Nephew was a McDonald's high school All-American and led the Big 10 in scoring as a freshman. Nephew can ball and is making good money now in Europe. Anyways, Crean is an amazing recruiter because he convinces every recruit that they are going to the NBA if they play for him just like Dwayne Wade and Victor Oladipo.
Their team was completely dysfunctional because every player was convinced that the only things preventing him from making the NBA were his teammates who didn't pass him the ball enough or the coach who didn't give him enough minutes. The players disliked and did not trust each other. Crean's strategy leads to highly recruited players who hate their team, coach and school. Had the transfer portal been open my nephew and most of his team would have left IU.

All that to say that many good recruiters are good recruiters because they sell a lot of bull****. And that works until it's time to play.
Again, my completely ignorant and clueless answer to the original question is that Manny lies LESS than most other coaches in recruiting so kids buy into their roles on the team.

Talk amongst yourselves.
I haven't heard of any of the players who spoke ill of Manny. He's definitely got them believing in him and the program.

I just hope that passion translates to success on the field.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Saying anything positive about Manny is strictly verboten according to CIS porsting bylaw 114.23 which also specifically states that he must be referred to by one of numerous disparaging sobriquets such as: Manuela, slip-n-slide Manny, Mandy, Manolo the assholo, Lispy, etc.

Please note for future reference.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Thanks for the response. It's certainly as good a hypothesis as any. I do think the location has a lot to do with it....it's tough to say goodbye to Miami once you get a taste of it as a college kid and move to Lincoln or Starkville, etc. But at the end of the day, IMO, it's mostly about the culture that Manny has built. He's been here longer than any kid has, so he's been in the picture literally every second that every kid has been on campus. Also, some people use this as a negative against him, but he's also the son of a very successful politician. He knows how to talk to people. He knows how to connect with a lot of different people.

Another thing that I think plays into his ability to connect with these kids is the fact that he was born and raised here, and like most who were, he was exposed to basically every single culture, color, race, religion, creed, etc that you possibly can be. Miami is the ultimate melting pot. I have a good friend of mine who played professional sports for over a decade and was very successful. A championship player at several spots. And one thing that was constant through his entire career was how well others spoke of him for the teammate that he was. No matter where he was, that was the one thing that followed him. He and I have spoken about this many times, and we attribute it mostly to his being raised in South Florida. Much like Manny, he was raised around every different type of person you can find, so he's able to connect to everyone. The dude that was raised in Oklahoma with the cowboy boots on one side of the locker room and the Dominican guys playing dominoes on the other, he was able to have relationships with everyone and it brings a team closer. You're able to be a chameleon when you're from here because of what you get to experience every single day. I really think Manny is the same way. The kids seem to really like him, he seems able to have fun, and he seems to have assembled a staff of some pretty personable dudes.

Mix that with getting a fantastic education in a city like Miami, I don't blame kids for not wanting to leave. Look how many kids not only aren't entering the portal but came back for extra years when they could have moved on.

Last edited:
I agree Manny is building a great culture. But I think we need to see a larger sample set and that a primary reason many kids haven't hit the portal since October is they see that 2021 season could be special with King leading the way and Manny and Lashlee as the DCs. So why transfer out now after building the program for a possible breakout year?

Regardless, Manny has something going. Players, recruits, staff and coaches are all buying into his culture. A 10+ win season gets that flywheel spinning really fast, and it could put us back in the national picture for years to come.

Advertisement

Talk amongst yourselves.

First in with “Thanks Mrs Diaz”.

Is part of it that we aren't asking players to move on because we've been under the scholarship limits for some time. Grossly under at times where a few injuries would make practicing difficult.

I suppose also that they're comfortable here. Maybe the coaches do a great job of keeping them here, feeling wanted, etc.

Either way, it's positive.

Miami is tied for 2nd of all P5 teams for fewest portal additions since October 1, 2020.

The average P5 team has seen 12 kids enter the portal. Miami has only had 5. The only school lower is Stanford….and, no ****. Who is leaving Stanford? Only 1 kid.

So why is this? Do the kids know something we don’t? Culture? Living elsewhere doesn’t sound as appealing as living in Miami? The whole team sucks so the younger backups don’t feel blocked from playing time? Whatever the reason, this seems to be a good problem to not have.

That list doesn’t count include grad transfers, because I know for a fact Stanford loses several players a year because they did not qualify for any Graduate programs at Stanford.

KJ Costello. Trevor Speights, Devery Hamilton, Donald Stewart, Henry Hattis, Dylan Powell, Collin Riccetti, Bo Peek, Michael Williams, Jovan Swann, Anthony Trinh and Obo Eboh are guys they have lost the last 2 seasons.

If we ranked higher we’d lose all of our good players early to the draft and our bad players to the portal. Then what?

Advertisement
It might just be that for the first time in a long time, players like playing for Miami. For a while Miami just became a place to kill time before declaring for the draft. Now, not only do our guys want to stay, we consistently get good players to come here through the portal. The staff has built some positive culture here

Miami is tied for 2nd of all P5 teams for fewest portal additions since October 1, 2020.

The average P5 team has seen 12 kids enter the portal. Miami has only had 5. The only school lower is Stanford….and, no ****. Who is leaving Stanford? Only 1 kid.

So why is this? Do the kids know something we don’t? Culture? Living elsewhere doesn’t sound as appealing as living in Miami? The whole team sucks so the younger backups don’t feel blocked from playing time? Whatever the reason, this seems to be a good problem to not have.
Did you mean losses?

I would be curious to see where we stand with Portal Additions. Was it 3 last year?

That list doesn’t count include grad transfers, because I know for a fact Stanford loses several players a year because they did not qualify for any Graduate programs at Stanford.

KJ Costello. Trevor Speights, Devery Hamilton, Donald Stewart, Henry Hattis, Dylan Powell, Collin Riccetti, Bo Peek, Michael Williams, Jovan Swann, Anthony Trinh and Obo Eboh are guys they have lost the last 2 seasons.
Grad transfers shouldn’t count against you anyways so that makes sense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back