Miami Va Tech

The talent of the 7 or 8 players Va Tech has compared to Miami is totally different. Miami has 3 players who would be good role players on a 10 man roster. On a 7 man roster, their lack of athleticism get exposed.

Advertisement
Not saying it’s all his fault

But maybe it’s time for a new, younger guy who brings a different energy. Like the football program

I definitely appreciate everything he’s done. But this is looking pretty bleak, even for next year

Gotta agree on the defense (mentioned it in this thread during the game) . The difference in how VT got after it, and the way we played defense was a striking contrast.
I think we've given up. We were outhustled the entire game.

Not saying it’s all his fault

But maybe it’s time for a new, younger guy who brings a different energy. Like the football program

I definitely appreciate everything he’s done. But this is looking pretty bleak, even for next year

Agreed except I don't think the next guy has to be "young". I certainty would do anything to get someone like Musselman and he is in his mid-50s. Regardless of how we got here, regardless of what you think about the man/his tenure...Coach L isn't young and he needs to make two changes (roster management and coaching staff). See my post below on the topic.

My concern is that he might not have the energy or desire to do it.

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/time-to-move-on-from-larranaga.141351/#post-3659099

Advertisement
The talent of the 7 or 8 players Va Tech has compared to Miami is totally different. Miami has 3 players who would be good role players on a 10 man roster. On a 7 man roster, their lack of athleticism get exposed.

Exactly. You have to ask yourself of the 7 kids on scholarshp in our rotation how many are starting or getting meaningful minutes on any of the top half teams in the ACC? We have role players playing 25+ minutes.

Correct, and it's been that way to lesser extent for all of the 5 years I have had season tickets. I'm always jealous at the athleticism of the opposing team. They have one player after another who can create his own shot and basically do anything out there. Meanwhile the Canes have steady influx of one-dimensional pegs. As posted above, it's like we are using role players throughout.

Last night it didn't matter if Virginia Tech had a similar number of players. The athletic ability and versatility was anything but similar.

If Larranaga has a fault, I would point to that...the stubbornness and tunnel vision toward how he constructs a roster.

Anyway, it was amazing we actually had an outside chance to cover the +8.5 spread. Virginia Tech got a bit sloppy near the end and allowed some steals. Zach Johnson stole the ball and tried a 3 pointer to cut the gap to 8 with over 2 minutes remaining, but clanked it.

I give the crowd credit for finally understanding the level of this team. Fans were leaving early and in waves at the Florida State game three days earlier, once the gap was insurmountable. Last night was a very small late arriving crowd. There was no wait at all leaving the parking garage, which is the first time I remember that. But the fans who were there didn't identify a specific deficit to depart. They more or less accepted defeat from the outset and then stuck around for the particulars.

Correct, and it's been that way to lesser extent for all of the 5 years I have had season tickets. I'm always jealous at the athleticism of the opposing team. They have one player after another who can create his own shot and basically do anything out there. Meanwhile the Canes have steady influx of one-dimensional pegs. As posted above, it's like we are using role players throughout.

Last night it didn't matter if Virginia Tech had a similar number of players. The athletic ability and versatility was anything but similar.

If Larranaga has a fault, I would point to that...the stubbornness and tunnel vision toward how he constructs a roster.

Anyway, it was amazing we actually had an outside chance to cover the +8.5 spread. Virginia Tech got a bit sloppy near the end and allowed some steals. Zach Johnson stole the ball and tried a 3 pointer to cut the gap to 8 with over 2 minutes remaining, but clanked it.

I give the crowd credit for finally understanding the level of this team. Fans were leaving early and in waves at the Florida State game three days earlier, once the gap was insurmountable. Last night was a very small late arriving crowd. There was no wait at all leaving the parking garage, which is the first time I remember that. But the fans who were there didn't identify a specific deficit to depart. They more or less accepted defeat from the outset and then stuck around for the particulars.
congrats message 2000, and I agree.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back