Miami team in 2000

Who is the 3rd horrible coach? The jury is still out on Golden. Has not had a fair shot to be successful, now he does. I also don't think Coker was a horrible coach, he was a horrible recruiter after the 2002 class.

I would argue that Coker was not even a terrible recruiter. Dude just couldn't develop players. 5 star guys like shields were garbage here and now he's a stud in the NFL.

Advertisement
Who is the 3rd horrible coach? The jury is still out on Golden. Has not had a fair shot to be successful, now he does. I also don't think Coker was a horrible coach, he was a horrible recruiter after the 2002 class.

I would argue that Coker was not even a terrible recruiter. Dude just couldn't develop players. 5 star guys like shields were garbage here and now he's a stud in the NFL.

Sheilds wasn't garbage... He just stubbornly played the wrong position here for 3 years... He had a good senior year only for it to be detailed by injuries... The guy would have been a first round no less than a second round pick if he would have moved over to corner his sophomore year as the coaches suggested... Too be fair I just believe the players were just over hyped during Coker final years... I mean he got the most out of midget wideouts like Roscoe and Moss, yet 5 star studs like Moore and Legget struggled later in their years...

I see a lot of similarities between this team and the 2000 team.

198.gif

Advertisement

Please explain because I don't see any similarities... Whether its talent, coaching, etc. The circumstances aren't the same either... Statements like this is what causes frustration then that frustration turns into hate when the team doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations... This team is closer to 98 (maybe 97) than 2000...

Advertisement

Please explain because I don't see any similarities... Whether its talent, coaching, etc. The circumstances aren't the same either... Statements like this is what causes frustration then that frustration turns into hate when the team doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations... This team is closer to 98 (maybe 97) than 2000...

98.....****....that means Olson is like Scott Covington.... Well..... I guess. But a sophomore Coley is anything like a sophomore Moss and Duke has an E James type of season I would be content.

I see what your saying, but think you need to clarify it. Like Olsen and Dorsey. The season before was a disappointment. I dont think you mean the talent is the same.

Both coming off 9-4 years with similar type losses.
Butch was being ran off town like Golden is.
Both starting young 2nd year QB, albeit Dorsey had some game experience.
Both returning deep WR core.
2000 was more loaded at RB but both had studs RBs.
Both returning 3 starters at Offensive line.
Both had to replace 2 starting DLineman.
Perryman reminds a lot of Nate Webster
Both returned starting back 4 and were a solid 2 deep unit.

Like I said, similarities are striking..
Rebuilding job is over, time for results. Butch was able to deliver.. Golden has to.

Last edited:

I see what your saying, but think you need to clarify it. Like Olsen and Dorsey. The season before was a disappointment. I dont think you mean the talent is the same.

Rebuilding job is over, time for results. Butch was able to deliver.. Golden has to.

I get what you're saying but those comparisons aren't sufficient enough... Especially the Golden to Butch... We flew a flag of gratitude over the stadium... The one glaring hole is experience... Yea Dorsey was in his 2nd year but he showed flashes of brilliance as a freshman... Olsen is going to having some growing pains... I'm a big fan of our wideout core but I don't think it's as dynamic as the 2000 crew... We're being back some solid players on the oline but I see the young players having their growing pains as well... We returned the majority of our two deep but we still have an infusion of young players at key positions... We have talent but I don't see the jump yet... I agree it's time for results but I don't see the 2000 season yet and expecting that will be disappointing...

Advertisement

I get what you're saying but those comparisons aren't sufficient enough... Especially the Golden to Butch... We flew a flag of gratitude over the stadium... The one glaring hole is experience... Yea Dorsey was in his 2nd year but he showed flashes of brilliance as a freshman... Olsen is going to having some growing pains... I'm a big fan of our wideout core but I don't think it's as dynamic as the 2000 crew... We're being back some solid players on the oline but I see the young players having their growing pains as well... We returned the majority of our two deep but we still have an infusion of young players at key positions... We have talent but I don't see the jump yet... I agree it's time for results but I don't see the 2000 season yet and expecting that will be disappointing...

I agree....id take an andre king type of player in a second....that crew was so good look at "who" didnt get playing time on that team that year and was reduced special teams.....lol

Miami was on probation or had the threat of probation from 1995-1997, it took a few years OFF probation to bring in the type of talent we had in 2000.

I would argue that the threat of probation the last few years has been much more painful to recruiting than what we will have to deal with in the next few years however 2014 is Year ONE after the cloud has been lifted and we are looking at a few more years of average Cane football.

I still think we return to a top 10 team not bc of Golden - the administration - lord knows not the fans but bc of a bucket load of talent in our back yard Go canes

Actually the majority of players on that 2000 squad came in under sanctions and probation.... I don't think the "cloud" or the "investigation" affected us the past few years as it did that UM squad back then... We were still signing full classes in addition to late signees... Those classes were having 10-15 prospects... We may have missed out on some prospects but we got the majority of players we wanted...

Advertisement
Actually the majority of players on that 2000 squad came in under sanctions and probation.... I don't think the "cloud" or the "investigation" affected us the past few years as it did that UM squad back then... We were still signing full classes in addition to late signees... Those classes were having 10-15 prospects... We may have missed out on some prospects but we got the majority of players we wanted...

Not so. Miami's scholarship restrictions were for the recruiting classes of 95, 96, 97. The 2000 squad had three years of full classes (98, 99, and 2000) Since underclassmen always make up the bulk of any team's roster, it's easy to see the 2000 and 2001 teams were post sanction.

Last edited:

Coker had more first round draft picks than anyone ever! But once he lost Ed Reed and was down to merely Shawn Taylor, RIP, leading his defense he couldn't win another NC. He should have been fired after 2003 for losing 2 games with 6 first round draft picks. SIX first round draft picks! And that is not counting the ones from the next couple years. How the heck do you do that? Not a horrible coach? That is why so many schools jump all over him once he was "available". As for Al, Butch left for the NFL soon after 2000. Do you think Al is a year away from a HC job with the NFL? He couldn't even land the PSU job. Was UT after him? How about Vandy to replace the guy that got the PSU job? Is anyone after Al right now?

I agree that the jury is still out. But 9 votes are in it doesn't look good. The last three votes win be in this season. I hope I am wrong, but I fear Al is gone after the Cincy game. Players are better, but coaching staff is the same and that is not good enough. I really hope things work out for Al, because as little confidence as I have in him, I have even less if Donna and the administration's ability to hire a good coach to replace him. They are 0 for 3 right now.

Similarities between this team and 2000? We were a preseason top 5 team that year. Yeah we finished the previous year 9-4 but there was tons of hype around the program. Not saying we don't blow up next year because we have talent but it's nowhere, nowhere the same.

Coker had more first round draft picks than anyone ever! But once he lost Ed Reed and was down to merely Shawn Taylor, RIP, leading his defense he couldn't win another NC. He should have been fired after 2003 for losing 2 games with 6 first round draft picks. SIX first round draft picks! And that is not counting the ones from the next couple years. How the heck do you do that? Not a horrible coach? That is why so many schools jump all over him once he was "available". As for Al, Butch left for the NFL soon after 2000. Do you think Al is a year away from a HC job with the NFL? He couldn't even land the PSU job. Was UT after him? How about Vandy to replace the guy that got the PSU job? Is anyone after Al right now?

I agree that the jury is still out. But 9 votes are in it doesn't look good. The last three votes win be in this season. I hope I am wrong, but I fear Al is gone after the Cincy game. Players are better, but coaching staff is the same and that is not good enough. I really hope things work out for Al, because as little confidence as I have in him, I have even less if Donna and the administration's ability to hire a good coach to replace him. They are 0 for 3 right now.

Coker was never a good coach but I couldn't blame him for that season..... Berlin had one of the worst qb seasons ever and Crudup wasn't any better. Any type of avg qb play and we win the chip...... Lsu, OK, or usc would have gotten smashed by us.... That's not Homer talk.

Advertisement
Back