Miami team in 2000

Actually the majority of players on that 2000 squad came in under sanctions and probation.... I don't think the "cloud" or the "investigation" affected us the past few years as it did that UM squad back then... We were still signing full classes in addition to late signees... Those classes were having 10-15 prospects... We may have missed out on some prospects but we got the majority of players we wanted...

Not so. Miami's scholarship restrictions were for the recruiting classes of 95, 96, 97. The 2000 squad had three years of full classes (98, 99, and 2000) Since underclassmen always make up the bulk of any team's roster, it's easy to see the 2000 and 2001 teams were post sanction.

I was considering the playmakers like J. Jackson, Moss, Wayne, Reed, Morgan... Remember a lot of those players were shirted as well...

Advertisement
Who is the 3rd horrible coach? The jury is still out on Golden. Has not had a fair shot to be successful, now he does. I also don't think Coker was a horrible coach, he was a horrible recruiter after the 2002 class.

Coker had more first round draft picks than anyone ever! But once he lost Ed Reed and was down to merely Shawn Taylor, RIP, leading his defense he couldn't win another NC. He should have been fired after 2003 for losing 2 games with 6 first round draft picks. SIX first round draft picks! And that is not counting the ones from the next couple years. How the heck do you do that? Not a horrible coach? That is why so many schools jump all over him once he was "available". As for Al, Butch left for the NFL soon after 2000. Do you think Al is a year away from a HC job with the NFL? He couldn't even land the PSU job. Was UT after him? How about Vandy to replace the guy that got the PSU job? Is anyone after Al right now?

I agree that the jury is still out. But 9 votes are in it doesn't look good. The last three votes win be in this season. I hope I am wrong, but I fear Al is gone after the Cincy game. Players are better, but coaching staff is the same and that is not good enough. I really hope things work out for Al, because as little confidence as I have in him, I have even less if Donna and the administration's ability to hire a good coach to replace him. They are 0 for 3 right now.

Coker was never a good coach but I couldn't blame him for that season..... Berlin had one of the worst qb seasons ever and Crudup wasn't any better. Any type of avg qb play and we win the chip...... Lsu, OK, or usc would have gotten smashed by us.... That's not Homer talk.

Yea qb held us back... Berlin's production was horrible that year... And Crudup just didn't have it...

If Miami doesn't get that miracle win at BC it's almost 25 years without a national title. Let that marinate.

If Miami doesn't get that miracle win at BC it's almost 25 years without a national title. Let that marinate.

True, but every championship team has one of those games they pull out their ace. A 95 Nebraska that mauls everyone is rare. Usually you need one game where the stars line up and you play like a ****, but come out smelling like a rose.

Advertisement
Similarities between this team and 2000? We were a preseason top 5 team that year. Yeah we finished the previous year 9-4 but there was tons of hype around the program. Not saying we don't blow up next year because we have talent but it's nowhere, nowhere the same.

Different times back then. A few top programs still garnered most attention, which Miami was still considered one.
Now with parity votes get spread across more programs.
Regardless, not a strong argument for why they aren't similar.
Now don't get it confused. Similar doesn't mean exactly the same, which is how you and others want to interpret what I said just to argue.
On paper 2000 is still clear cut better than 2014.
2000 went 11-1. If 2014 can go 10-2 or better we all would be happy. No reason why they can't.

The 99 team finished very strong. That was reason for optimism in 2000. The 2013 team finished in a condition that required a coroner or medical examiner. Huge difference IMO.

The 99 team finished very strong. That was reason for optimism in 2000. The 2013 team finished in a condition that required a coroner or medical examiner. Huge difference IMO.

If this team can finish the same way as the 99 team id take that as improvement.....i felt like the 13 team would be more like the 99 team i was wrong....more like 97-98 teams

Last edited by a moderator:
year after year for the last 10+ our spring game has been our optimism not a bowl game....that is sad. Until we can beat down teams by the start of the 4th....play teams for 4qtrs that are favored over us or even beat them god forbid....and win the ACC and a bowl game we are greentree legends.....

The players have to pull us out of this funk..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back