Miami targeting Arkansas AD Jeff Long?

I'm in for Blake, seems like a well respected guy, that's passionate about Miami.
Check and check

Advertisement
Sounds like another easy cultural transition. His family should be able to smoothly adapt to Miami's very commonplace dynamic and demographics. Considering the similar pace between atmospheres, we're fortunate to find another professional who can just step in and keep the powerful machine churning at max efficiency. Some of my friends who are top fundraisers in the city tell me the down to earth tones commonly found in the midwest and southeast are strong roots for their work in our community.

Last edited:
As an Arkansas alumni, and former highly connected to the goings on there (my ex wife was the one that first interviewed Danny Ford for his double secret probation "Not Head Coach at Arkansas" job ( he was hired secretly a year in advance so he could get the rest of his Clemson money) and other intrigue, I can tell you that we don't want anything to do with these Arkansas disasters.

We did pretty well with Razorbacks Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis, but anyone (likethis guy) associated with the Broyles Cabal that still haunts Arkansas athletics, is gonna end badly for us.

I would think our disasterous dealings with that B12 commissioner/headhunter clown would be enough to reject anyone with the SWC/B12 background.

Advertisement
I'm from Arkansas and went to the U, but I moved around in Florida gradually. Any Midwest people moving to Miami proper straight from the country side are going to be in for a very rude awakening, see our last 2 AD's who packed their bags and skipped town in the middle of the night. There's good in Miami, its just outweighed by a ton of big city, diverse, and dense population issues. If you are not ready for it, its going to eat you alive.

And so what if he raised 125 million for football in Arkansas? That's the home of Walmart, Dillards, Tyson et al. They have a Razorback Foundation that can raise that in their sleep. It's an SEC state school with no other market competition, it would be more shocking if they didnt raise that much money. The powers that be at UA know they better be raising that to even be competitive with Bama, Georgia, UF et al.

Throw me in the no likey column for this dude.

Our last two ADs were not ready for Miami and the community. I don't think a third would be the smartest move.

...And so what if he raised 125 million for football in Arkansas? That's the home of Walmart, Dillards, Tyson et al. They have a Razorback Foundation that can raise that in their sleep. It's an SEC state school with no other market competition, it would be more shocking if they didnt raise that much money. The powers that be at UA know they better be raising that to even be competitive with Bama, Georgia, UF et al.

Exactomundo. If he's hired, the talking points from UM will, "ZOMG, he raises teh moneyz".

Advertisement
I'll take an sec commish that prioritizes football first. Purely speculation guy might get here and love it. You can't judge a guy by the place he was raised.

Advertisement
I'm from Arkansas and went to the U, but I moved around in Florida gradually. Any Midwest people moving to Miami proper straight from the country side are going to be in for a very rude awakening, see our last 2 AD's who packed their bags and skipped town in the middle of the night. There's good in Miami, its just outweighed by a ton of big city, diverse, and dense population issues. If you are not ready for it, its going to eat you alive.

And so what if he raised 125 million for football in Arkansas? That's the home of Walmart, Dillards, Tyson et al. They have a Razorback Foundation that can raise that in their sleep. It's an SEC state school with no other market competition, it would be more shocking if they didnt raise that much money. The powers that be at UA know they better be raising that to even be competitive with Bama, Georgia, UF et al.

Excellent point. That's like giving the Okie State AD credit for the stadium renovations. T Boone would have donated that money no matter who the AD was.

Don't see them filling the position until we get the NOA.

This. They are not even looking yet until at least after NOA and probably after sanctions announced. They want the new AD to know exactly what he is getting into.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back