Miami repaying donations received by Shapiro

It is really great news that none of our players will have to go to court. I will be glad when this is all over.

Agreed. Even if it tanks our class this year, I hope they announce before NSD. I think the kids should know what they are getting into before hand also.

Advertisement
This is where I am glad we got all these law students and lawyers on the board..
We should have a UM law section on these boards where all legal stuff can be discuss and archived..

BTW I wonder how Golden feels about this part:
Previous court records show that Miami agreed in July 2010 -- more than a year before the full extent of Shapiro's claims were unveiled in a Yahoo Sports reports

Previous court records show that Miami agreed in July 2010 -- more than a year before the full extent of Shapiro's claims were unveiled in a Yahoo Sports reports

His people MUST have known, if we knew about it then. That's the one part of this story I've never bought into.

His people MUST have known, if we knew about it then. That's the one part of this story I've never bought into.

Not so sure in my opinion. Don't think he had massive resources to background check the University before hiring.

Advertisement
It is really great news that none of our players will have to go to court. I will be glad when this is all over.

Agreed. Even if it tanks our class this year, I hope they announce before NSD. I think the kids should know what they are getting into before hand also.

I am pretty sure the kids will get the USC option. So if we have some unhappy players, this will be their chance to bolt.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The University of Miami is giving back $83,000 it says it received "directly and indirectly" from Nevin Shapiro, the former Hurricanes booster and convicted Ponzi scheme architect whose claims of giving athletes and recruits extra benefits for nearly a decade sparked an NCAA investigation.

Court records show the agreement between the school and bankruptcy trustee Joel Tabas was filed last week.

"The agreement was the result of a lengthy negotiation process and brings closure to the University's obligations in the bankruptcy case," Miami's general counsel office said in a statement, and Tabas affirmed that to be the case in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Previous court records show that Miami agreed in July 2010 -- more than a year before the full extent of Shapiro's claims were unveiled in a Yahoo Sports reports -- to repay $130,307 from debtors also involved in the bankruptcy proceedings.

According to the latest court documents, Tabas found "additional potential claims against the University and certain University prior and current athletes" after that settlement. The documents also show that the school and the trustee had some dispute about the new claims, but adds that the school believes resolving the matter is "in the best interests of all parties."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...urricanes-repay-83000-nevin-shapiro-donations

edit: **** I made it in the wrong section, my bad lol

UM previously paid back 130K in donations it received from Nevin. This 83K is primarily NOT donations to UM. It is "newly discovered" claims (i.e., benefits paid to players).

Not so sure in my opinion. Don't think he had massive resources to background check the University before hiring.

You mean that Golden didn't have google? Because that's all that was required to find the Miami Herald article that came out a year before the Yahoo article.

I wonder if they are still going to pursue individual bankruptcy claims. That is the **** that worries me the most. If they bring a player into court, regardless of how old the claim is, he will have to tell the truth. However at this point, I doubt they could bring the case to a judge before the NCAA levies the penalties.

WE SKATE!!

Take a look at the Herald article. No players will need to testify or pay back any money. None.

It's over, Johnny.

Advertisement

You mean that Golden didn't have google? Because that's all that was required to find the Miami Herald article that came out a year before the Yahoo article.

This. The **** story made the message board rounds for weeks before it blew up in September. So we are going to assume that AG, a guy who from all accounts is as detail oriented as can be, really was in the dark about the whole Shapiro situation? No chance. It was a good angle from him and his agent for a fat extension, and a possible out had he chose to bolt.

This. The **** story made the message board rounds for weeks before it blew up in September. So we are going to assume that AG, a guy who from all accounts is as detail oriented as can be, really was in the dark about the whole Shapiro situation? No chance. It was a good angle from him and his agent for a fat extension, and a possible out had he chose to bolt.

I think many thought that was a done deal. I remember for almost 3-4 months, we thought the bombshell Yahoo story was going to be FSU or UF, and many were shocked it was us. We follow it every day and believe it or not, this community on the boards have some pretty good resources. I could be wrong, but I think most thought the shapiro story was a desparate BS story that had no merit till the Yahoo story broke.

There is no chance we know our penalty before NSD- North Carolina had their hearing in October and still hasn't found out, and it took the nCAA four months to tell OSu what their penalty was after their hearing. We may agree to some process where they don't bother with a hearing, but we still have to respond to the notice of allegations and that takes time. And I don't think UM wants to hear before NSD, we want the scholarships right now.

I wonder if they are still going to pursue individual bankruptcy claims. That is the **** that worries me the most. If they bring a player into court, regardless of how old the claim is, he will have to tell the truth. However at this point, I doubt they could bring the case to a judge before the NCAA levies the penalties.

WE SKATE!!
thats just it.....the NCAA doesnt have to rule on anything in any given period of time.......it wouldnt surprise me at all to see them wait for responses by former players in bankruptcy court

i also think they will still persue the individual claims in an effort to get more money back to investors who were ripped off

Yeah, that is what we dont know... if any of the players/coaches have been issued a subpoena.
i thought it was said awhile ago that the bankruptcy court had issued more than 70 subponeas

Every article I see says "will soon receive" subpoenas. This part is interesting too:

"This amount includes payment of $3,000 in penalties levied by the NCAA on 11 current student-athletes who received improper benefits from Mr. Shapiro," the university's statement said.

So the University paid the amounts of the suspended players? I thought the players had to pay it back prior to playing again this season?

No, the suspended players had to make payments to charity under the NCAA rules.

UM is paying back the BR claims.

Advertisement

I'm with you on this. There were plenty of rumblings prior to his hiring about this issue. You would think his agent would be able to uncover this type of thing with relative ease.

Advertisement
Back